1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Beta on Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Flickan, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flickan

Flickan Poptop Tamer

Hello!

This might have been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads or any mention of it in the FAQ. My question is a rather simple one... Does anybody know if the beta will be available on Mac or do I have to wait for the launch?

Thank you for your time!:D

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Tiy runs it on his Macbook, nothing specific on this but it should be good to go for beta.

Lugubrious and WoxandWarf like this.
  3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I would have to hunt it down but I'm 95.9% sure all 3 major OSes (mac/win/lin) will have the beta.

4. Yes, you will be able to play the beta on OSX.

5. You said first i'm reporting it's bullying. :cry:
    All 3 main OS area. :rofl:

Lugubrious likes this.
  6. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

It does in fact say what OSes are supported in the FAQ.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

I think he was talking about the support FAQ at the top of the page, and not the main FAQ on the website.

8. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Maybe a link to the main FAQ should be added to this FAQ then?

9. Flickan

Flickan Poptop Tamer

It does, however it says "supported at launch". I do not think of the beta as "the launch" which is why I asked. Anyhow thanks for all the answers. =)

10. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

I'm sorry but... wouldn't the recent graphical core change limit the platform support to Windows?

11. Wasn't it also running on OpenGL ?

12. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

They are working on different versions of the binary I believe, unlike with minecraft (the java jar is basically the same for all systems and uses only cross-platform features) each version will be optimised to their platform a bit. Basically they wanted to give Windows users optimization and the option of DirectX in case your graphics have lackluster OpenGL support.

Yes, it will run OpenGL and in the case of the Windows version also DirectX.

SLOW_oranges and SeaMichelle like this.
  13. Soulztealer

Soulztealer Master Chief

This is awesome!

14. Gysgamer

Gysgamer Aquatic Astronaut

Glad to know i'll be set to play beta as soon as it comes out :)

15. BitterB1ackFox

BitterB1ackFox Master Chief

I have a Mac and that is good to know that a beta will be available for it. But one other thing. I got StarCraft 2 and I am unable to play it due to an outdated OS. I have 10.6 and it requires 10.7-8. Will I have to update my OS for Starbound too?:confused:

16. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

I don't.... think so? I don't honestly know though. I'll find out for you.

17. Soulztealer

Soulztealer Master Chief

I know one of the debs tested it out on a way out dated Mac OS and they said it worked flawlessly. I think it was posted in the FAQ or maybe in this thread.

18. It wasn't running on the outdated OS but on entry level MacBook Air.

19. BitterB1ackFox

BitterB1ackFox Master Chief

Well that is good to know, thank you for getting back to my post OmnipotentEntity, Soulztealer, and TvK.

20. genobee

genobee Star Wrangler

Yeah, I'd like to know OS requirement as well. I'm using 10.6. Both 10.7 and 10.8 were not good enough of an upgrade to me. If Starbound has OSX 10.7+ requirement then hopefully OSX 10.9 (Maverick) came out before Starbound Beta did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.