1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Beta Key Question

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Boopitybop, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

So bought the Pixel tier a few days ago. I see that it comes with a steam key and a beta key. Does that mean the steam key and beta key is for me or is that something I could give to my friend and we could both play the beta?
    So does my friend have to buy it so that he can participate in beta? I am trying to convince him to buy this game, but he says he wants to play it first, which I could by just letting him play on my account.

ImpKeeper likes this.
  2. Tzuridis, I guess it's only 1 Key that you get to download the Game.

Wont be Fair or even Legal to Give your Steam to other person and he plays it without buy it. o_O

3. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

Yea I see what you mean and I dont want him to play because I would want to play it lol. I want us to play with him at the same time/together, I would just let him try it or watch me play so I could get him to play with me.

4. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

By the way do you know of any good videos or trailers I could show them? They wont take real interest in a wall of text unless that have already been intrigued.

5. They updated http://playstarbound.com/media/

There isn't any more Official good or videos that aren't tests with good quality... Only those in that page.
    They are working in a Trailer, since they said in 14/4 AMA! ^^

Ethenyl and Boopitybop like this.
  6. Mikeronomicon

Mikeronomicon Master Chief

I have a quick question regarding the preorder/beta. I bought the pixel tier, and I see it comes with a key. Is that a Steam key for when the beta is available, or will we receive some kind of notification and download instructions when the beta is available. Sorry if the answer to this is already posted elsewhere in the forums, I dredged through them but couldn't find the answer.

BTW. Chuckfish, you guys rule super hard for making this game. I've been needing a fix since I finished Terraria for the third time.

7. Not yet the Steam Key, they will give you the Steam key via Email, or even by update on that same Pre-Order Humble Page!

You will indeed receive an email about download when BETA is available and the Steam key after launch. :)

painman01 and Mikeronomicon like this.
  8. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

You could get him to come over to your house and play the game! Sharing accounts is probably allowed, since only one person can be on it at a time. There shouldn't really be any legal issues there. (Just going off my thoughts)

9. Mikeronomicon

Mikeronomicon Master Chief

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the super-ultra-mega-mega-quick reply. Seriously, I posted that less than five minutes ago.

Bacon likes this.
  10. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Feel free to let your friend have a test drive. It's DRM free. Just if he likes it and thinks it's worth the money then gently nudge him into purchasing a copy. It'll help us out.

I'm not too worried about the "Fair" or "Legal" issues brought up by Bacon. I trust the majority of people to make reasonable decisions and not to screw us over if they can help it.

11. Immortal

Immortal Pangalactic Porcupine

I have a similar question in the same vein, but I think it's overkill to open a new thread to discuss it. (Also I don't wanna give people stupid ideas in the thread title).

Here it goes:
    I already payed for the basic 15$ tier for myself but I also got a girlfriend who's marginally/barely into gaming. I can see how this game will be huge fun for a couple but she's very picky about games and time allocation so basically I/we can't tell if she likes it until we actually play it. We're both university students so budget is tight and I'm wondering if I should buy a second 15$ digital copy for her in the hopes that she'll like it - because once it actually comes out on steam I imagine it will be stupendously costly (not just for the finished game, but also because steam will adapt the price to € for our region which is guaranteed to result in ridiculous prices).

Anyway I did the mistake of buying a second copy of Civ V Gold for her, which we ended up almost never using. Could I sell my second steam key of Starbound if it turns out that she doesn't like the game?
    I strongly assume it's technically illegal to buy now and resell these keys later on, but its not like I'm gonna buy a hundred in bulk, it's just one key.

Thoughts?

12. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

I would say, let her try out your copy of the game first, like Omni talked about. No reason to buy an extra copy if she doesn't like it, but if she does, it will be well worth it! While $15 can be a lot for some people (I should know, being unemployed at the moment) it's really nothing compared to all those "AAA" titles charging $50-60 while only offering at best, 8-10 hours worth of gameplay.

painman01 and trex341 like this.
  13. T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

OR JUST BUY THE 4-PIXEL PACK FOR YOUR FRIENDS ;D

14. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

I posted a thread about the same topic earlier, and I'll be encouraging my friends to get the game themselves, Chucklefish needs all the support they can get. :)

15. Immortal

What friends? :lod:

No seriously, I'm like 24 and I know no one at university who'd play Starbound with me/us. :cry:

16. T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Q_Q you can play with me and bacon

ImpKeeper and Immortal like this.
  17. ImpKeeper

ImpKeeper Void-Bound Voyager

any idea on release of Beta ?

18. No ideas Yet. It's likely to be out till or during the summer, but it's very hard to tell based in assume here, assume there. ;)

ImpKeeper likes this.
  19. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1 key= 1 download is not possible give a beta

20. Immortal

:wut: what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.