WIP BETA: FarmAutomation Mods (for SMAPI 0.39.6+)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Oranisagu, Mar 28, 2016.

1. homes789

homes789 Space Hobo

Can you make all animal stop screaming at morning It make me jump scare everytime ( Just kidding ) :)

• Oranisagu

Oranisagu Subatomic Cosmonaut

yeah, good idea. I noticed it as well but never bothered to check. it's fairly easy to mute the sounds (only sound effects, not music) for a second or two, which should at least keep the lambs silent ;-) I'll keep all the machine collection and refilling sounds on though, they don't seem too extreme.

so a fix will be in the next update.

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you for the mods and the update. Great work with the collector, although I haven't tested it much yet.

For now, perhaps leave the sounds since it isn't a genuine bug? It seems to only startle players the first few times, but then you get used to it like the rooster in the morning. For those of us not using the 6:10am time, the sounds help remind when the animals are loose. Before their sounds, I know I can find livestock inside and don't have to chase them around the pen.

EDIT: I noticed that this sound was from auto-petting and not the door opening, my bad.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
        • Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

i am not getting on how to set up a coop and barn for milk and eggs...and feeding them...can someone explain it? please

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

(This may belong on another subforum, but I'll try to help anyway)
            1) Go to Robin the carpenter and have her build you a Silo.
            2) Collect grass with the Scythe to fill the silo with Hay. You can check the amount of hay by clicking the silo. I recommend you not worry about filling it all the way yet unless you're preparing for winter since you can let the animals out to eat grass during the other seasons. You will need additional silos later as you get more animals ready for winter.
            3) Go to Robin again and have her build you a Barn or Coop (you pay her to upgrade both later)
            4) When the buildings are done, goto Marnie the livestock dealer and purchase your animals.
            5) There's an empty fodder bin inside the barn/coop building. Fill this trough by clicking the hay chute box right next to it. The hay automatically appears inside the building from the silo when you do this. Place the hay in the trough.
            6) Pet the animals every day and open/close the sliding door to let them in and out. Place the hay bales in the fodder trough and keep them fed.

After a short while, your cows will be ready for you to use the Pail (from Marnie) on them to milk them after they mature. The chicks/ducklings will turn into adults and leave eggs. If you upgrade the coop/barn, then you can incubate eggs for chicks and there's a chance of your barn animals having offspring. (Edit: After second upgrade, "Deluxe" Barns and Coops have an auto-feeding system so you don't need to check their fodder troughs, only the silos.) Anyways, I hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
            • Mysteana

Mysteana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Furnaces and Seed Makers. Now I can finally get through that backlog of hops so I can try to get an ancient seed :)

I think the Charcoal Furnaces are the last machines left to have the complete set?

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

umm I know all that I am talking about with the mod set up to auto pet and harvest the eggs and milk

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

Haha, my mistake then, but to be fair, your question didn't say anything about auto-collecting or auto-pet. I already have auto-feed through upgrades, so I don't even know if that's part of this mod.

I'm not sure about auto-pet, but if you place a chest inside the barn or coop, it collects the milk and eggs. Do you have chests around?

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

ture I did not say the mod..lol auto feed? you have it from another mod? mind letting me know where? yeah chest I got just didnt know if to do something special or what..but I have to have milk pale in chest in cows right?

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

No, the auto-feed is part of the vanilla game without any mods. Like I said, it comes with the second upgrade to your barn or coop. The first upgrade makes it into a "Big" barn or coop. The second upgrade is called "Deluxe."

So your chest with pail is in the barn. Are the animals inside before the morning?

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

I just did a bit of testing, and the both auto-petting and auto-harvesting works for me. In fact, I was wrong earlier about the coop/barn door causing the animal sounds because the auto-petting does that every morning at 6:10am regardless of when the door opens.

Reading this thread, it seemed like people who have more than one building of the same upgrade level, or not letting the animals inside at night were having your problem. (btw, I was holding the pail but I don't think that matters). You don't have to do anything special to the chest or buildings. The mod should work if you don't have one of those two issues.

Possible bug report: In a barn with 2 goats and 2 cows, I ended up with 4 milk inside a previously empty chest. It should be adding 2 goats' milk instead of 4 regular cows milk, right? It's totally possible this isn't a bug, and the chest collected the milk from elsewhere (due to another mod). I won't know for certain until a large milk shows up or if the goats never produce anything. I'm assuming the auto-harvest performs the function of milking/shearing/collecting rather than just placing animal products into the chest based on the number of animals there.

• JulesC

JulesC Void-Bound Voyager

I have some issues with the 1.4 Version.

The Furnace does not work as intended. The chest in the bottom is filled with ores and coal, but the furnaces don't work. The upper two furnaces are online from the upper chest with the arrow; while they work, they consume twice the amount of coal they should - I noted the counts for bars and coal, and each time one copper bar was produced, two Units of coal were consumed. When I put a third furnace there, all of a sudden all furnaces in the Picture started working.... still, the top chest was losing 2 coal for 1 produced bar.

chests.jpg

• homes789

homes789 Space Hobo

I try configure barn door automation it not worked i want to set auto barn door open at 7.00 am but won't work it's still open at 6.00 am everytime.i edit it by notepad
                            edit: I have silo but it not auto feed my animal i don't know why maybe my animal got out barn at 6.00 am

Attached Files:

• dooka

dooka Aquatic Astronaut

It looks like the path (flooring) connecting furnaces are a bit weird, as some are directly the ground while others are not, but it shouldn't matter if you left the default connector as "6" since you don't have wooden paths in the area. I'd check one of the previous posts in this thread explaining exactly how the connectors work if you changed the default in the config file.

If you are having trouble and only want automated furnaces, the CJB Automation mod is in the Releases/Gameplay Mechanics subforum, and it has been developed longer. This is one has more features, but it's fairly new and a work-in-progress. Perhaps CJB has the source somewhere or would be willing to help.

• JulesC

Nah, the flooring in the screen is not the connector. The furnaces themselves are directly beside the chest, so there's no need for that - it just doesn't work. When I put seed makers there, it would not work either - is it because there was more than 1 chest connected?

• cera12sim

cera12sim Subatomic Cosmonaut

doesnt work with dino eggs apparently

• Oranisagu

you have other chests connected. it will only search for one chest for each machine, if multiple are connected it might not be the one you want it to. I have been thinking about connecting multiple chests but I'm on the fence about it, because right now, if you misconfigure something (i.e. add a floor tile you use pretty much anywhere) it won't simply start emptying one chest after another (say you have a seedmaker and it accidentally connects to a chest with all your stored produce).

so for now you really have to dedicate one chest to be used as a source for your machines and disconnect any other chests. in your case, for the top row remove the leftmost chest and for the bottom row, move one furnace down and right a bit so there's no connect to the other chests anymore:
                                    chests.jpg

yeah, I assumed as much and already opened an issue for it yesterday. I don't have any save to test it with, I need to get their ingame ID's and wasn't able to find it in the code. if you could send me your file it would be a very easy fix though =)

hm, I've just tested it again to make sure I didn't break anything in the meanwhile but it seems to work. if you didn't close them the night before though they will still be open of course. could it be your save was from before you installed the mod and you forgot to close them the day before?

since autofeeding is already part of the base game I have currently no intention of adding it.
                                    but yes, with this mod all animals will get petted daily. if you have a chest in their home then it will also collects their products (there don't need to be any tools in it).

• Neonit

Neonit Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome mod, i really love it. For something that has to be pretty complex codewise, its incredibly easy to use.
                                      I have however an issue with furnaces, and im wondering if im doing something wrong.
                                      So this is my setup
                                      upload_2016-4-2_17-11-45.png
                                      I figured out that the kiln would take wood and make coal, but it doesnt. Thats not the issue though.
                                      When i put 1 coal into the chest (this is what the chest looks like btw)
                                      upload_2016-4-2_17-12-40.png
                                      The coal piece disappears on the next clock tick, but no furnace gets turned on. But if i put two, one furnace turns on. I think it used to work correctly and went wrong after i got the furnace reward from bundles? But not really sure about that. I tried connecting just one furnace, without the kiln being connected, but that didnt change the situation. The connectors are set on default (so its not the stone path causing it i think)
                                      I know this is a kinda fuzzy question, but i dont really have any more info to provide. Am i forgetting something?

• JulesC

Nope, you're doing everything alright. The Problem is, for some reason automated furnaces use up 2 coal per bar produced.

@Oranisagu: Easy Setup to test it - connect 1 furnace with a chest with say, 50 ore and 10 coal - as soon as the furnace produces, 5 ore and 2 coal are missing.

• Oranisagu

ok, new release time again =)

* Added Statue of Perfection, Charcoal Kiln and Crab Pots to the supported machines
                                          * Dinosaur Eggs should now be collected as well
                                          * Added a Configuration option for muting animals in the morning. Mutes by default (have the lambs stopped screaming, Clarice?)
                                          * Various Bugfixes with machines which would not be filled but produced after a set time (Tappers, Statues, Crab Pots etc). They should now work correctly (before they only started working again after picking them up or sleeping)

as always, you can grab it here: https://github.com/oranisagu/SDV-FarmAutomation/releases/latest

this is a bit technical, but for anyone who's interested: before I tried to handle everything manually because for using the games code I would've had to put stuff in the players inventory temporarily and that was just as bad (what if it's full, what if he has the same item already, maybe different quality and so on). So now I created a 'virtual farmer' and he's the one operating those machines (and I can fill and clean his inventory as I want to). while it might introduce a few new bugs, I really hope this approach is more future proof as I don't have to handle every variable on those machines myself.

THE FUTURE: I think this should be all the basic features for my first, mostly stable version. From now on I will only do bugfixes (and small features if necessary) on this branch of the code.
                                          There's tons of reworks to do (cleanup code, make stuff more configurable and so on), so I'm going to start working on the next version as soon as I'm confident the current version works as intended. so, if anyone has suggestions about features they'd like to see, now would be the best time to come forward =) changing the scope of software once coding has begun is a lot harder than to plan beforehand. so, just say what you'd like to see, and I'll think about it. obviously the previously added features stay, and I already have some enhancements in my git issue list (though most are mainly in terms of clean code and less about features).

I just noticed the same a few hours ago just by accident and was working on fixing it =) if you had even one piece of the correct material in your inventory, it would try to start the machine (sometimes it worked, others not).
                                          as for the kiln: that simply was not in the mod yet (I never saw much use for it and kinda ignored it). but it should work now, and in your setup it actually makes sense. try the new build, I hope it should work as intended.

whew, apparently that got fixed with the new release (and the way it handles machines) as well, at least it doesn't do that for me anymore =)

Neonit likes this.