Being able to explore gas planets with mechs

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Finnosasurus, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Finnosasurus

Finnosasurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just think that its kind of silly that you cant go to gas planets, simply because you 'can't land'.
    I can imagine there would be some interesting possibilities enemy/station wise.

Armorine1983 and soulsword3 like this.
  2. Superdup01

Superdup01 Poptop Tamer

Sounds good to me, I'm very curious about the visuals inside the gas giant...

3. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

This has already been discussed ad nauseum. No

4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Mechs are stated to only work in Space the way they do when in space. They simply put can't fly in planets.
    Not, adding a separate vehicle, on the other hand...

5. soulsword3

soulsword3 Void-Bound Voyager

perhaps a gravity modifier for the mech would make this possible,and interesting,and this would open a lot of doors for the game,sounds good

6. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And that would make Gas Giants too similar to space, which, consideirng that they're rather different things, shouldn't happen.

7. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree that it is silly gas giants claim to have nothing to land on. In all likelihood they have a rocky surface hundreds of miles, if not thousands, buried under highly pressurized gases and liquids. It would be quite a bit of work to make these environments scientifically realistic, but I'd be quite happy with just a measure of realism. Hopefully one day we can explore the gas giants. Both in Starbound and IRL

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, gas giants IRL most likely have gaseous or liquid cores, which is why the suggestion I made (Found in the signature) outright treats them as being massive balls of gas with floating structures in them.

9. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Well I'm no astronomer, but what I've been reading suggests after all the pressurized gases, and liquids, there is a small solid core made of ice and rock.

10. Kulax

Kulax Intergalactic Tourist

If you were to even attempt to land on a gas giant *They don't really have a surface* you would be crushed under the imminence atmospheric pressure.

11. Happi

Happi Void-Bound Voyager

Not if you have a super futuristic mech that can withstand said pressure, since this is a scifi game after all. If traveling to another solar system in a few seconds if totally acceptable then I'm pretty sure that exploring gas giants isn't much of a stretch. <;

12. Kulax

You wouldn't be able to explore the lower parts of the planet no matter how strong or how futuristic the craft is. Even if you were able to put a earth sized planet under that amount of pressure it would disintegrate it. Although it is very possible to explore the upper atmosphere with a strong aerodynamic ship or special types of hoverbikes.

13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, a ship may not even be needed. Probably a more or less conventional aircraft would work.
    In fact, if it were made to behave at least semi-realistically, it would be more fun than just using mechs (Which would cause gas giants to be too similar to space).

14. Happi

Happi Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't be able to jump to another star system in five seconds and survive hostile worlds without dying of excessive heat or cold without a suit, but I can do it in starbound. I wouldn't be able to breathe the alien world's atmosphere, but I can in starbound. Instantaneous teleportation? Glitch eating food? Life on almost all planets? I wouldn't be able to literally fly into a sun without dying, (try it in the navigation menu) but I can in starbound. If the ship can withstand the center of a sun, then I'm pretty sure it can survive a gas giant. <; The very idea of accelerating past the speed of light or even opening a wormhole to a specific part of space on command is beyond our technology. Don't suspend your disbelief for 90% of the game, but then limit the potential exploration to come by limiting yourself to our current level of technology in the context of a game with so many ludicrous technological feats.

Let's just say that the Apex built some craft out of an unreasonably strong material they crafted at the molecular level, constructed a ship out of said material and stuck a black hole inside of it so as to use the hawking radiation to reinforce the structural integrity AND THEN sold us that craft for 500,000 pixels. Or some other bullshit you can make up on the spot, it doesn't matter. MORE PLANET TYPES WOO! FLOATING CITIES INSIDE THE GAS GIANT! ANCIENT LOST CIVILIZATIONS! Use your imagination.

Starbound is not a game about scientific realism and it certainly isn't a simulation. There are other games which fit those descriptions. I am excited to explore gas giants, however they choose to portray them; whether they're more realistic or less realistic. Just so long as they're interesting and fun. Not developing a fun idea in a game like starbound, simply because we can't figure out how it would work in real life is a huge mistake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Why are Glitch eating fod unrealistic? They're robots, but it's outright explained why in one codex entry.

16. Happi

Happi Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly. That's my entire point. This is not a simulation and the charm of starbound comes from interesting and witty explanations for ludicrous ideas. We don't currently understand how to build a robot that emulates biological processes, much less possesses human-like intelligence, but that doesn't mean they can't be in starbound.

17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And not only this game takes place in a sci-fi sttings, but it's also stated that they were created to simulate a civilization, and weren't created by another of the species depicted, but by an unknown one a long time ago. Simply put, they're technologically VERY advanced robots to the point of being a really good simulation.
    Just because something can't be currently done doesn't mean that it's impossible. After all, lots of modern-day appliances, machines, and inventions would have probably been unthinkable just a century ago (At least, not their uses. I doubt anyone in the XIXth century would have expected something like the Internet to be so effective as a means of distribution of erotic material).

18. Kulax

Ok Ok jeez..