Being able to change an existing characters appearance in-game

Discussion in 'Other' started by MoonyJello, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Sometimes when I play games I end up getting bored with my characters appearance and never understood why there wasn't features added in to let you change it.
    I don't get why there's games like TES and Terraria where character creation is pushed, but if you ever feel like changing the way you look you'd need to add some mod to make it possible.

I could see something like this fitting in to Starbound well.

As an example, if you're on an advanced city-like planet there'd just be a new set of building that spawn that are directed for appearance changing.
    That being a Hair Salon for new hair styles and hair colors and a Clothing Department for shirts, pants, shirt color, and pants color.

To be able to change your hair/clothes you must unlock them in stores first, they aren't just available to buy form the beginning.
    Most hair, shirts, etc. can be unlocked by ordinary means (Loot drops, finishing missions, or killing a boss) but some skins require special means of unlock (beating the story, killing a large amount of penguins, etc.)

2. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

There could be NPCs like barbers and some kind of facial surgery would probably be available on more advanced planets, and changing clothes really shouldn't be a problem since you'd be finding armors and other outfits.

AsgerRud and Affero like this.
  3. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Whenever I had to customize my existing character in Terraria, I had to load up TerrariaViewer, which was a pain. Definitely need an NPC to change your appearance, or some sort of machine that you stand in for a 'makeover'.

4. Affero

Affero Contributor

A barber npc! And it could have like a special animation where you sit in a barbers chair and the npc cuts your hair for a few seconds. That'd be cool! :) I don't really know how you would go about to change your skin color, plastic surgery?

Shock likes this.
  5. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

I'd wonder if you'd have to pay for an appearance change.

6. MoonyJello

Most likely.

Kitty Box likes this.
  7. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I don't agree with unlocking them, as you don't go into a barber shop with some kind of special chip and they offer you a new hairstyle. Different barbers/surgeons in different towns or planets should offer varying styles.

8. GrayAu

GrayAu Space Hobo

open up your player file...
    shortly after your name you will read hair and a number like =6r ... the # is the style and R was red (i had red hair) you can change hair like that. Also if u wanna know what # corresponds to what hair make a newb character set with the appearance you want and jack that value.
    everything else is similar as well

9. matperthisreaux

matperthisreaux Space Hobo

i tried this but when i change something, starbound doesn't "find" my character :/

10. MoonyJello

Read the forum rules.
    Don't bump topics... The last post was in March.

And just to reply to what you said.
    The whole reason I suggested this was because it's always too much of a hassle to change your character's appearance in games.
    Having to dig through your character files just to change your hair color isn't really what I was talking about.

11. Derpy Inc.

Derpy Inc. Void-Bound Voyager

Yea, it would be pretty cool if you can change your appearance in-game. The player im using has all my stuff and tech, but im kinda unhappy how my character looks.

12. Keihoshi

Keihoshi Void-Bound Voyager

http://sbse.hyunsdojo.com/

This is what I've been using, if this helps at all.
    You can upload your player file and it'll bring up your character + your current equipped gear. From there, you can change your hair style and pick custom colors for both your gear and character. The only downside to it is that it cannot read mods (they will appear invisible in the editor, but still accept custom colors) and read Beta v. Furious Koala files only.

lambo517 likes this.
  13. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

While there are utilities that allow you to do this kind of stuff (to a limited degree, currently) I still think it would be a great feature to have ingame.

14. tttt94

tttt94 Space Hobo

one word:starcheat :D

15. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Seriously with the necropost? The last post in this was literally half-a-month short of a year ago.
    Also keywords: in-game.