1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Beginner Pixel Artists Thread!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cell, Apr 16, 2013.

1. RaiPamonha

RaiPamonha Orbital Explorer

[​IMG]

new trol meme

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  2. YeBittenDog

YeBittenDog Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks man. I may make a thread once I'm a little more comfortable with my concept and pixel-ing in general. Toss any cool ideas you have my way! hahah.

3. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Aliens. Like Metal Slug.

4. Ceridran

Ceridran Big Damn Hero

Aye, only just saw this, but you should try to make gun holding feel more natural. As it is, his arm just takes a sharp turn and sits that way. Maybe he could hold the gun pointing up, or with both hands pointing down. It'd make a good idle state.

Also, the main character's elbow should be higher up on the right arm, compared to the left arm which has a proper elbow location.

YeBittenDog and Dargona1018 like this.
  5. YeBittenDog

Cool. Thank you for the advice. I'll give those a shot.

6. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

image.jpg This is some of my pixel art. image.jpg

Dargona1018 likes this.
  7. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

8. CaptainMadoc

CaptainMadoc Phantasmal Quasar

I got tired of waiting for me to finish the collection I'm currently working on.

Attached Files:

Waffle-Chan and Dargona1018 like this.
  9. YeBittenDog

Here is the title I'm thinking about currently. Even made up a little start menu. I'm still trying to come up with a good story to build from.

Start Menu.png

you can find the forums for it HERE.

It's currently just a RP forum and a guild hangout for friends, but as the concept for the game grows and changes I want to have my own place to host information and whatnot.

WolfSiri likes this.
  10. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

My first dithering ender.png any feedback also this is a dragon i made Smaug.png

11. WolfSiri

WolfSiri Master Chief

Hi guy. I'm really appreciate your feedback !After [​IMG] I decide to look for some tutorials and this is my 2nd try:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are all of them together:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think things is starting to work out. Again thanks for the help, guys!

12. Dargona1018

I don't understand why, but this reminds me of Vectorman for some reason.
    [​IMG]

13. Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, my avatar was made by me. I know nothing of pixel art and, sincerely, I don't think I'm even talented for it, but since I always wanted to have a character, i tried it out. And even if people criticize me, I'm really satisfied with it (the character, not the avatar as a whole). what i could really use is suggestions to make the avatar a little cooler.

14. Dargona1018

Disclaimer: I know that this is technically a Necro, but I think this thread is good enough that it should stay here to be of help, and not have newbies be afraid to post.

So, pretty much my first thing (after terrible hammer (??) and a boat-ish thing), tried making it for Weekly Pixel-Off (8-bit, 4 colors including transparency) and failed
    to meet the topic since it had 6 colors, and even taking out the white/gray in the sword would have left me with 5 no matter what since transparency counted as a color.

It's an attempt (key work: attempt) at making a different take on Link from Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, as a kinda evil (?) person, with a gnarly scimitar and ribcage-ish shield.
    Pixel-Off 1.png
    x3
    Pixel-Off 1 - x3.png

Lord Octopus and Ovyerus like this.
  15. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

@Dargona1018

i grabed your link shield and sword and try to give it a bit more "something"

Pixel-Off 13.png

i added some shading - only the base color a lighter and a darker one, already looks completely different.
    and another thing i'm not using too often but seems to fit here pretty well, i replaced the black outlines to colored once representing a dark tone of the colors around.
    what to say else... yeah try to practice some shading, you could also use dithering but those are WAY too small to really use dithering on them, wouldn't make any sense :p

16. Dargona1018

Yea, didn't even try to do different shades, even after I gave up on the 4 colors.
    But, man, that is so much better. I shall try to work on some other things, probably just you guys (here or in Weekly-Pixel-Off) giving me things to try, as I do wish to get better.
    I mean, I've seen how far @Owl_Stalker has come, and I hope that the community can do the same. ;)

17. WispDraw

WispDraw Space Hobo

[​IMG] I tried to redraw the portrait in my style, I struggled a lot during color picking and especially the mouth, I've posted this on pixel joint too if anyone's wondering :D

18. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

love pixel art. keep em coming