1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Beginner Pixel Artists Thread!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cell, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

I was truly just screwing around. I put about 12 dots over the area and that picture came to my head.
    I didn't just want to do a basic shape, so I just did random things.

If I go back to do that thing again, I think that I would make the picture much larger, so I can add detailing to the actual ship itself, including maybe some shadows, possibly?
    Gonna work on some more tonight.

Oh, and also:
    This is very nice. I am interested in seeing how you do the legs.
    And I also agree with someone a bit back saying that it looks very Gunpoint in style, to me at least.
    Gunpoint picture.PNG

YeBittenDog likes this.
  2. YeBittenDog

YeBittenDog Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome. I was inspired a lot by Broforce. I'll have to give Gunpoint a try.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Pixel shifting is a no no.

Just imagine how you breath. Your stomach and arms don't shrink in on themselves (I hope).

Your chest expands.
    Your stomach contracts.
    Your shoulders raise.

These are the things you should consider while making a breathing animation, that is unless the pixel shifting was a stylistic choice and it's supposed to be jerky.

Animations are the one thing I'm really good at. I'm a decent artist, but I sure can make shit move :V

YeBittenDog likes this.
  4. YeBittenDog

Would you mind showing me a little more? I'm completely confused at how to start making him look like he's making a normal movement.

5. MoonyJello

If you're focusing on humanoid movements sometimes just your mirror can be your best friend.
    You can really just simply stand in front of a mirror a do the movement yourself. Really exaggerate your movements so you can see the important parts that are moving. The things that'll read as "breathing".

You can also aways turn to Google. There's no shame in using references. In fact I ALWAYS have references open whenever I'm spriting anything.

This was literally a 30 second Google search.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course you might not want to copy Blanca exactly, but it can help.

Once you get at least the first 3 frames done it usually finishes its self from there, you just need to try it :p

YeBittenDog likes this.
  6. YeBittenDog

Thank you so much. I'll keep working at it! :D

7. Dargona1018

It's a fast, smaller game, sadly, and I don't think that you can share the Levels you make.

Also, on a general topic, how do you do the animation?
    Make three frames, put it into a movie-maker thing, have it change between them on a loop?
    Or is there an easier way?

8. MoonyJello

Way easier.
    What are you using to sprite?

9. Dargona1018

If screwing around with a 700x zoomed-in pixel-fest is Spriting, then I just use a 700x Zoomed-in MS Paint since it's the only thing I know my way around right now.
    I have only made 2 things so far, one being a VERY crude axe, and that ship shown (with that good sail, and terrible body).

If you know an easier way than doing 700x Zoomed-In MS Paint, then I am all ears.
    If you try to look at the individual pixels, it looks very blurry, so that Sailboat was taken with the Snipping Tool, not the actual thing.
    Resizing is also something I need to learn.

10. MoonyJello

I don't understand...
    Are you saying you just zoom in on photographs till they're pixelated?

11. YeBittenDog

I'm using Photoshop, but I used an online GIF maker.

12. YeBittenDog

Here is the one I'm currently working on. It's currently two frames moving back and forth. His shoulders move up and his arms move outward. I also added some subtle changes in shading on his abdomen to give the sense his belly is sucking in. I'm still working with it, but am I on the right track?

snake gif.gif breathing gif.gif

also... pixel rattlesnake!

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Ceridran likes this.
  13. MoonyJello

Dig the rattle snake.
    You could try to animate the upper body instead of having it slide side to side, but it looks pretty decent as is.

And the breathing animation is already looking better. If you're already working on it then good, all I have to say is if you're going to try shading changes then commit.
    The change is too subtle, I can't see it.
    If it ends up looking bad you can just trash the idea, but you have to emphasize it more.

You can make animations on Photoshop btw, you don't need to do that through a secondary thing.

YeBittenDog likes this.
  14. YeBittenDog

Thank you. I will keep playing around and seeing what I can come up with. I'll be sure to post any progress I make. :D

MoonyJello likes this.
  15. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

dragon a is saying that he zooms in 700% in paint. That is pi elated.
    Dragons, have you discovered Ctrl G yet? It activates a grid. Each box is a pixel by.

16. Dargona1018

No, I didn't know about that. Thanks for that, and answering Moony.
    I will look at it in a little bit. School should only take an hour today.

EDIT:
    So wait. When in 100x Zoom, the pixels are different, or are they still the same small size?
    The grid expands as you zoom in to take up more pixel space, with 400x being when it actually shows the grid to take up one pixel.

17. YeBittenDog

Still playing around. Came up with my first enemy model.

Typical Nazi scum... lol.

Enemy (Nazi Concept 1).png

nazi and hero concept 1.png - So we meet again Hanz...

Dargona1018 likes this.
  18. Dargona1018

I very much like the minimalist faces, but you will need to truly learn how to show expression through movement for the faces not to have eyes, or a mouth for that matter.
    That shouldn't be too hard, I think, with how far you're along with pixel-ating.

19. YeBittenDog

Thank you. I completely agree. I have only been trying for a few days and movement is coming slowly. May try to make a jumping animation next. Walking is going to be the most difficult I think.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  20. Dargona1018

I think that you should make a thread, Bitten, for the game design.
    After you come up with a main concept, you can name it, I guess, or just put it as "Title To Be Made - A Game by YeBittenDog".

And another thing, I saw the guy talking to Hanz, and I thought up the name McGruber [Mik-Grub-er] for some reason.
    I truly don't know why, but I thought that I may as well tell you.

Owl_Stalker likes this.