1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Beginner Pixel Artists Thread!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cell, Apr 16, 2013.

1. CaptainMadoc

CaptainMadoc Phantasmal Quasar

It's a collection of handguns based on the reference folder I've compiled. I've just finished with them, working on submachineguns.

2. Pixel_Warlock

Pixel_Warlock Void-Bound Voyager

Holy goddamn balls. Thank you so much. This helps a-lot.

Holy balls.

3. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I havent pixel... arted
    or sprited in a loooong time.
    and btw, my spriting sucked back then.
    probably still sucks...
    Resized
    [​IMG]
    Background
    [​IMG]
    Background Resized
    [​IMG]

4. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

So I thought I'd give it a shot!
    And whiew, it's awesome but those symetric everything-has-to-be-perfect-of-you-fuck-up-big-time things are just killing me.
    A challenge though, took me about 4 hours. I swear to god, that's like the basic out of basic and it's taking so long for me.
    Aaaanyway, here are my little masterpieces.
    Terrible, but a start.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Evangelion and AstroBlast like this.
  5. CaptainMadoc

CaptainMadoc Phantasmal Quasar

These are space bears. I suppose I can post them here, as this is a sort of prototype version.

DipperWIP2.png

extremist likes this.
  6. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

So, I wish to become a pixel artist, or at least to learn, but I have never seen anything on how to get started.
    They all teach how to do some stuff, but I don't even know how to get started in the first place.
    Some people say "Use Gimp" and stuff like that, but I don't know where to go from there.

All I can think of is an incredibly-zoomed-in MS Pain picture to where you can see the pixels.

7. MS Paint is just fine. I think the idea is to start by trying to draw basic shapes using references from google images and such.
    Just use a pencil tool and practise drawing outlines. Maybe find tutorials on how to make certain lines/shapes.

8. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

You're over complicating things.
    There's no one way to get started, you just do.

If you want to be a pixel artist then just get a pixel art program like GIMP, Fireworks, or Photoshop and make some pictures.
    There, you got started.

All you have to do is click your mouse and draw some shit.
    If you're trying to learn certain techniques or styles that's a different talk, but getting started doesn't require tutorials.

AstroBlast likes this.
  9. Dargona1018

This is what I needed to know.
    Everyone says "Go into it" but no one says how to actually draw.
    Everything that I had heard about Photoshop and GIMP was to EDIT things, not to draw stuff.
    The only thing that I knew that definitely drew was MS Paint.

And, yes, I am overcomplicating things in the eyes of someone who didn't understand what exactly I was meaning.

Okay.
    Thanks, man.

AstroBlast and MoonyJello like this.
  10. Personally I use the pencil tool in photoshop. Basically anything that allows you to select a colour and draw at a single pixel level will suffice.

11. Pixel_Warlock

Pixel_Warlock Void-Bound Voyager

Alright. After a little bit of thinking, i did it. My first actual good (IMO) Pixel art!

Its the same art that i had on earlier that the other guy edited. Its not the same though, because I did it my self! YEEE

(air guitar motions)

Attached Files:

12. YeBittenDog

YeBittenDog Aquatic Astronaut

I just finished my first attempt at pixel art. I wanted to have some concepts for a video game I plan to make.
    I'm still learning so please let me know what you guys think.

hero concept 1.png

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp

Dargona1018 and Evangelion like this.
  13. IMO you've pretty much nailed it. The shape is great and clearly conveys detail. It looks flat but the good colour choice alleviates that and gives it a unique aesthetic (I'm reminded of the game 'gunpoint' and 'gang garrison 2')

Dargona1018 and YeBittenDog like this.
  14. YeBittenDog

Thank you! I'm not a big fan of "checkerboard' dithering but I do have subtle nuances of color shading. I'm still learning what all I can do and trying to establish a style for myself.
    Here is one that is a little larger.

explorer concept 1 (variations).png

Dargona1018 likes this.
  15. YeBittenDog likes this.
  16. YeBittenDog

Thank you. This is really my first attempt. I just jumped in. Hoping to learn how to make him move and give him some personality. I'll keep posting my progress. It means a lot to have such positive feedback. :D

AstroBlast likes this.
  17. Dargona1018

I guess that this is good too, other than the actual ship.
    The flag seems to be shaded well for it being only my second thing.
    About 10 minutes on this:
    Flag Ship 1.PNG
    EDIT: I found out how to zoom in... :D
    Actually, I just used a Snipping Tool to take a picture of it.

Evangelion likes this.
  18. YeBittenDog

Not a bad start dude. Are you going for that Viking Longship style? If so, I may bring the back up a little to match the front. Keep playing around with your shapes and colors to find things that really compliment each other.

I'm working on adding different weapons into my hero's hands. Here he is with a shotgun... and breathing animation. Going to try and animate him walking, rolling, etc.

Explorer 1 (with shotgun).png explorer 1 (breathing).gif

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Maybe if you character moves his shoulders the arms should also be moving. Animations are tough.

20. YeBittenDog

Yeah. It's hard making it look natural. The one where his whole arms moved seemed weird. Like he was pounding his knuckles down. lol. Still trying.