1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Beam Drill Mech Arm

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Rezzo, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Rezzo

Rezzo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Does anyone know how to get this? I must have destroyed over 1000 ships in fiery and frozen stars, had 100's of patterns but cannot seem to get this at all. Does it even exist in game as im beginning to think it doesn't. I gave up playing Starbound about a year ago in frustration trying to get this. I have come back I still cant seem to locate the damn thing. Has anyone had a plan drop and if so from where?

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It definitely exists. I've gotten it from tier 5 ships, but yeah, RNG can be quite a nuisance with this sort of thing. However, if you're good at using the rocket spear special, you can mine far more efficiently using a fully upgraded matter manipulator anyway; for some reason the beam drill's block damage per second is worse than the Matter Manipulator even when dual-wielded.

3. Rezzo

Hello again and thank you for your response. I am not sure I am even aware of this. I will have to look into it, what is the rocket spear special? Is it a pattern or a skill you can use? My matter manipulator is fully upgraded but I want this pattern for farming asteroids in the main. As I can’t really control my movement in space I need the above pattern to mine the asteroids unless this rocket spear suggestion is a solution for this?

4. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

The rocket spear is, unsurprisingly, a rocket. So yeah. Use the special ability and you fly in the opposite direction. Fun with the low gravity buff from alien fruit juice too.

5. Rezzo

Feeling a bit of a noob now with my next question. I am still unclear, is it a weapon you find or a mech part? Again TY for the help.

Edit: Gotta love the internet. Looked it up. Will have to try and locate one now as I have had them in the past but sold them :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  6. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found one, but then I had a nightmarish time trying to find the beam sniper schematic. I always found it funny how you find what that *other* person can't find, but you can't find what you want to find.

I think i found it on a tier 6 space instance, BTW. It may have a better chance at luck finding them, as I know you can find both the tier 5 and tier 6 schematics on tier 6 space instances.

7. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

You know, it seems to me that we could set up some kind of neutral server to meet and exchange parts that people need or want.

8. Rezzo

Another question I have, a few of you have mentioned Tiers, what exactly do you mean. Am I right in thinking that Tier refers to the level of the star, ie a fiery star is Tier 6, a frozen star tier 5 etc? Interesting to see FoxDE2 you found yours on a space station. I have only attacked enemy ships looking for mine. Didn't realise you could find pattersn on space stations, I gather it was a friendly space station?

I have had quite a few of the Beam Sniper plans. As you say, you seem to find everything but the ones you want.

9. Gasboy

Sort of. The tier of the stuff you find generally matches the tier of the star. However, sometimes you get tier n-1 (or n-2, n-3) planets at a tier n star, so you will only get tier n-1 (or n-2, n-3) stuff from that planet. Pretty sure the ships and stations in the solar system will be the same tier as the star they are orbiting.

And yes, other space stations are friendly.

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Rocket spear is a special you can find on randomly generated spears. Besides being fairly useful for damage, it allows you to push yourself around using its recoil; with gravity-reducing effects (such as alien juice or a gravity epp augment) or in zero-g environments, you can fly around using it. There's also the Drill Spear, a legendary spear you can find in space, which lets you pull yourself around in more or less the same way.

Tier is what determines a variety of factors, such as weapon damage and enemy health, generally acting as a multiplier calculated as follows: 1 + (planet tier-1)*0.5; so a tier 1 area has 1x enemy health and tier 1 weapons have 1x base damage, while tier 6 means 3.5x weapon damage and enemy health. Planets have a tier (although some legendary weapons may be of lower or higher tier than that of the planet) and it correlates loosely to that of stars; each epp upgrade step corresponds to 1 tier, so you start out at tier 1 garden planets surrounding gentle stars, move on to tier 2 ocean planets mostly found around temperate planets, and so on. Space encounters (ships and anomalies) are of equal tier to that of the star. Tier also determines how much you get from tenants. The Starbounder wiki has better more detailed info here.

11. Rezzo

The problem is now trying to find a rocket spear. They need to bring in something so you can craft weapons. Maybe bring in weapon patterns or if you find a weapon you can now make it. Not sure what to do now, continue with my painful quest of attacking ships and hoping one of them eventually has the pattern I want. Or from what I have read trying to find a rocket spear which again I am guessing might be a nightmare to find. Thoughts?

Cheers for the help and advice btw folks, it is appreciated.

12. Gasboy

Yanno, if you have the resources, I could build you the beam drill mech arm.

EDIT: Or see if I have the blueprint somewhere. Or see if my friends do.

13. Rezzo

I probably do have the mats, but how do I get them to you etc? I would probably ask you to build 2 of them for me please. You will have to let me know what the mats are though for one drill as I don't have the pattern so don't know what to pass your way. I have tons of resources though.

14. Gasboy

I'm currently at work, but I can check all that when I get home. I can PM you later with my steam name and such. I'm using Windows 10, 64bit. I don't know if that affects whether or not we can join each other's game.

The official wiki for Starbound is starbounder.org, it's fairly complete and indepth. You can search for the beam drill arm there and it'll tell you what you need to know. I don't think it is too costly, probably around 30-50 of an ore (probably solarium), 40-50 of a common salvaged thing and 25+ of one of the salvaged nano things. Just a pattern the different mech pieces follow.

15. Rezzo

Ok cool. I have the same set up as yourself. I will have a look later as I cant right now as like yourself im in work.

16. Rezzo

I am online if you are my friend.

17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Much simpler would be to just use the /admin command (type in the chat box to go into admin mode, which will let you use the following command; don't forget to go out of admin mode by typing /admin in chat again after using the second command) to spawn in the mech blueprint (/spawnitem mecharmbeamdrill-recipe), and, if it helps it to feel fair to you, delete some excess mech blueprints in exchange.

18. Rezzo

I think it may come to that. I am spending all my time in game just trying to find this pattern and its becoming a chore and taking all the fun out of the game.

19. Gasboy

Heyo, I sent you a private message with my steam name, feel free to add me when you are ready to play.