Beacons

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Zailiner, May 19, 2012.

1. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Think: your spaceship beams you down to a planet far too dangerous to land, you end up exploring most of the planet and need to be right below your spaceship again to be beamed up. Every time you visit the planet you would have the same spawn point.
    My idea is that you could place very obvious beacons, everytime you visit a planet you could choose one of the beacons to visit, the max amount of beacons placed could be calculated by the surface area of the planet.

Eg. every 3000 blocks 1 beacon.​
    Planet surface area= 30000 blocks​
    3000 / 3000 = 10 beacons placable.​
    Note: This does not mean you can only place one in 3000 blocks of area, you can place all 10 of them in 100 metres for all I care but then you've reached your max.​
    Depending on the "height" of the surface from the center of the planet, the power of the beacon would need to be altered.​
    Let's say you wanted to place a beacon on the top 5% of the world (if the planet had a 1000 block RADIUS, not diameter, it would be the top 200 blocks), you would only need a very weak beacon, but the deeper you go, the stronger the beacon signal/power would be needed to be able to reach your radar/visuals.​

Other additional and optional ideas:​
    Beacons could be safe shelters/bases.​
    Beacons would need to be placed on a base.​
    Thanks for reading and I await your feedback!​

Zalachenko and Modest like this.
  2. Modest

Modest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Considering that those numbers which You have provided are only an example and they may be changed if needed I have to say that I like Your idea. But how about giving two main types of beackons? One type would be bigger and would have to be placed in some kind of structure (even if this structure is underground it would still work), but would also function from the moment of being build to the moment when You decide to turn them off or when they get destroyed. The second would be one time use only and would be small. Of course You could use them whenever You like as long as it is on the planet surface (they signal is not strong eoungh to go through rock and dirt, unlike signal from the big, stationary ones).

Zailiner likes this.
  3. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Landing underground doesn't seem like it would work, but I just got a new idea from your suggestion.
    So let's say the maximum height of the planet was 6000 blocks, you would only require a very small beacon for the top 5% of the planet.
    But the deeper it goes the brighter the beacon needs to be to be able to shine light powerful enough to be in visual distance.

4. Modest

Modest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well... With this landing underground I was thinking that You were proposing some kind of teleportation system from spaceship or space base... This "Think: your spaceship beams you down to a planet far too dangerous to land" gave me idea that it actually might to teleport You even underground (like in Startrek). But now I think that I understand it better - beaming happens only at the begining if planet is too dangerous for risking the landing (unstable surface, small islands in see of lava, lots of hills and mountains, strong fog etc). Afther that beacons are used not for teleport technology but as a... Well, as a beacons for transport (spaceship) for landing, right? Do I understand it better now? If yes than it is true that underground landing would not work ^^ But this new idea with altitude and visibility issues is really good and I like that.

5. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Well beacons must used for every planet, I was only using that as an example.
    Beacons are pretty much "spawn points".