1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Basic server setup - admin is admin, password protection, spawn protection

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by teilnehmer, Jan 29, 2015.

1. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Hi there,

I've rented a server now that upbeat giraffe is out, and I can't find a decent guide on how to set it up wisely.

The things I'd like to get working are
    - server password
    - me as an admin
    - optional: auto reset the spawn planet every night

I entered a password in starbound.config which, interestingly, doesn't work. I got the server a few days in advance to familiarize myself with it, and it did work then.
    Is there a change in how server passwords are handled?

I successfully stopped anyone from being admin by setting "allowadmincommandsfromanyone" to false. But now I'm no admin, too... what's the best way to become admin on my server? I'm guessing accesscontrol.config has something to do with it, but I see only ban rules.

Lastly, and unlike the other two things, this might not be possible, I'd love it if the spawn planet was reset every now and then. Since there's rcon-support, I'm assuming this is possible.

If anyone could point me to a (still valid) tutorial or explain these bits, I'd be much obliged.

Jan

Edit: I've changed/ added the following in /starbound/giraffe_storage/starbound.config
    Code:
    {
      "adminPasswords" : [ "ADMINPASSWORD" ],
      "allowAdminCommands" : true,
      "allowAdminCommandsFromAnyone" : false,
      "serverName" : "Starbound mit Erwachsenen!",
      "serverPasswords" : [ "NORMALPASSWORD" ]
    }
    I was hoping that by adding this information the server would be protected (final line) and if I log in using the admin password, it should give me admin privileges. Alas, no such luck... it still only accepts a blank password. Is the file the right one?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

I am also having this EXACT same issue with password & trying to make myself admin

teilnehmer likes this.
  3. kida89

kida89 Aquatic Astronaut

Having the same issue. I can only log in with a blank password.

teilnehmer likes this.
  4. Tiberiumkyle

Tiberiumkyle Big Damn Hero

Having the same issue trying to setup a private server on my own computer.

5. teilnehmer

I think we found a bug, or at least something about that configuration is not as straight-forward as it was. I'll post a note in the bugs section.

6. Fatmice

Fatmice Subatomic Cosmonaut

My server runs just fine. I only spent half hour to update to giraffe and edit the config.

Do not touch the sbboot.config unless you want to change the default location of assets, mods, storage (universe files, client files, world files)

Edit only the starbound.config in the giraffe_storage folder
    To admin yourself, you must put the admin password into the password blank at the connecting to server screen. Once loaded into the world, type /admin and you should see yourself promoted.
    Normal user simply use the normal password at the connecting to server screen.

As for resetting the spawn planet, I do not know. I guess one of the new command in the /help list will do that.

Fleder likes this.
  7. StarScribe

StarScribe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have successfully created my server and was able to set a password normally... When I try to connect to the server my self using correct IP, PORT & PASSWORD it works fine. It does require me to input correct password and anything other than that password would not work.

However nobody else is able to join the server since the new stable build has been released. I am unable to find a solution as of yet, and require some help.

***EDIT*** I must say, now it is working just fine... it took 2 hours but without any change my friends are now able to connect normally. I am very curious.

I was however running my dedicated server trough a 64bit server file inside game directory, and it seem my friends started to be able to join after they launched the game using the same method rather than the launcher.

I am still very confused but at least it now works.

8. Fatmice

Fatmice Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe your friend(s) did not update their game before joining?

A 32/64 bit client should able to join a 64 bit server. I just tested that and the client can connect just fine.

9. teilnehmer

Okay, three things happened:
    1. The patch came out.
    2. On a whim, I changed sbboot.config to contain the variables I had already put in starbound.config
    3. To test, I deleted the /starbound/starbound.config, keeping only the one in the giraffe directory.

Now it works... since I invited friends on the server, I'm unwilling to backtrack to find out which of these made the difference.

10. MeggMegg

MeggMegg Space Spelunker

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I paste the new lines you posted in the config? Whenever I paste it on the top, my server and my game crash when I try to open them.

11. Arkion-D

Arkion-D Big Damn Hero

Can someone show me what the file is supposed to look like so that i may add a admin user?

12. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Check my sticky post at the top of this forum about setting up Admin. Its even got a neato video