Tutorial Basic Object Implementation: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by mollygos, May 14, 2013.

1. plasma face

plasma face Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool can't wait!

2. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

i would have called it a 'cog' in the files to differentiate from actual player gear, but that's just me. ;)

3. Zac091

Zac091 Star Wrangler

So, we can even add our own items in? Huh, MUSHROOM TIME BABY! :sneaky:

4. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Thank you Molly; you are a golden goddess.

All praise Mollygos, goddess of cake and tutorials.

EDIT: Sewer Gears = Confirmed. Bunny Altars = Confirmed.

Axe Garian and Derfpace like this.
  5. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

I've made a template for people to use. You just have to replace all the <"tags">'s.

EDIT: I just finished a python program that will create all the files for you (except the images of course). I'll upload it if anyone want to use it.
    EDIT: Here's the link to the gitHub page.

6. Zacharyne

Zacharyne Void-Bound Voyager

This is great! I want to make some stuffs!

7. Gloan

Gloan Poptop Tamer

Not my cup of tea! This way to hard for me to understand! x D

8. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

:wut: how do you not understand how to write lines of text?

9. Aralicia Moran

Aralicia Moran Void-Bound Voyager

Actually, there isn't one object, but two : an entity (or whatever the devs call it in this game) who is part of the environment, and an item. the entity has 3 files (image, .frames, .object); the item two (image, .objitem).

Consolidating the files could be a good idea for standalone items, but the current structure is actually sound when we think of the fact that multiple objets may use the same graphics, in which case we could possibly use multiple .object, and only one .frames an one image file.

Also objectName, race, description and shortdescription aren't duplicate informations. Some are for the objet when it is placed, and the others for when it is in the inventory. It could be used for example if you have an holographic emitter that could only display its data when placed, you would need different descriptions for the item and the entity.

That would be great !

Given the game, I'll guess that the image format would have to be a roster image format with alpha channel... It leaves pretty much only the PNG(.png) and the Targa (.tga) formats. Even if formats like jpeg of gif are supported, I wouldn't recommend them, since jpeg has no alpha channel, and gif are limiited to a transparent placeholder (instead of true transparency).

Axe Garian and Thanel like this.
  10. Gloan

Gloan Poptop Tamer

Because i'm not that smart, okay! I have this mental disorder that prevents me from understanding some of the things + I'm from the Netherlands and i'm not that good at reading english.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

I was wondering if mods would work like they do in Garry's mod; when you enter a server of a person who has mods you dont, the mods would be installed for you

Gloan likes this.
  12. Gloan

Gloan Poptop Tamer

That would be awesome!

13. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Ok that explains it, sorry for bothering you about it.

14. Begin66

Begin66 Void-Bound Voyager

I've written a small program that makes the files with correct syntax, so all you need to do is type in/select values and select images and it renames and creates the files... gonna try work on a single file that contains all this data that can be shared easily and extracted etc etc etc. bla

Axe Garian and Iroza like this.
  15. Derfpace

Derfpace Cosmic Narwhal

There is going to be a lot of people working on Darkbound stuff. And i think people could do it now if they wanted to(we just need to know how to make recipes).

16. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I also notice the lack of information about the crafting of the item, the technology the player will require to craft item, and the durability(how hard it is to remove) of the item. I guess it is just an early tutorial and I will take what I can get.

17. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Well... that looks... easy enough. I would probably delete a caracter somewere and never realise it, thus bugging the whole thing but otherwise I think I might be able to do that.

18. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

That's what Source games do. I'd love to see something like that.

19. DW01

DW01 Void-Bound Voyager

Oh man, reminds me of NWN/2 modding, only without the retarded 2DAs. This is good.

20. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Actually no, there currently working 10 people on the Darkbound mod and afaik we don't have any plans to expand the size of our team. ;)

Axe Garian likes this.