Tool Band of musicians NPC

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Pietrobvd, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Pietrobvd

Pietrobvd Space Spelunker

Would anyone like to make a MOD to give the musician function to a whole band playing the same song? It would be fun to watch NPC bands playing what we want.

2. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

This one is hard, because it looks like some aspects of it are hardcoded. You can make an NPC hold an instrument (or any item that can be held for that matter) but using it will require a from scratch script and the relocation of the .abc files into a mod directory.

I'll put this one on my to investigate further list, but some of the best programmers in the community have seen this idea and replied with interest, years ago, so I doubt my attempt will go anywhere... Which is sad because Glitch bards at the very least should exist.

Pietrobvd likes this.
  3. Pietrobvd

Pietrobvd Space Spelunker

Is this the same principle as why there are no other mods of interactions of NPCs with objects? Like driving? I even saw that some NPCs drive a vehicle if I shoot them. But they drive for a few seconds. Anything that creates a routine for them also seems promising to me. For example, to program attacks of barbarian NPCs to castles. Or visit a place you've created all the time .. Sorry for spelling. I do not understand much English.

4. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

For a lot of things it's just a total lack of existing framework. It always bothered me that in the Dreadwing mission there are penguins in tanks, and there is a penguin beside an inactive tank, but penguins won't try to drive it. It's just a decoration object.

Barbarian attacks could be programmed in, and if you build a colony sometimes NPC merchants teleport in - though maybe they just teleport near the player and I have always happened to be in a colony at the time... It doesn't happen often.

But if it's based on you having built a colony, then something could be done in the same way by tying a script to colony deeds at least.

As for driving, NPCs don't currently have any AI that would let them use a vehicle but that doesn't mean that behavior can't be scripted. Most things are possible with objects and NPCs, but since there is no existing framework for the code it would just take a very long time to code.