RELEASED Bachelorette Portrait's Total Sideview Rework Mix & Match Pack

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by SPRidley, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SPRidley

SPRidley Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/e7di5zef23tzt8s/Bachelorettes_Total_Sideview_Rework_M&M_Pack.rar
    Hi!
    This is the first time I mod something into a game, so I hope people like it enough.
    Last week, with the help of the guides in the first modding thread, I decided it was easy enough to unpack and repack and do new sprites for the game that I wanted to do something. It all started when I saw on some other forums I was not the only one that totally hated Maru's design in game, and then discovered thanks to the official wiki, ConcernedApe had touch up a lot the characters during all the years he was developing the game, and that frankly some of them look much better than what we got in the end.
    So, because I really liked some of ConcernedApe's designs and thought the art he was using could improve the designs of some of his characters I decided that using the same art, was going to make a more cohesive pack of bachelorettes, for one getting all of them into sideview, and then chaging some of the designs heer and there to give more variety to the faces, but always using ConcernedApe's base designs from the wiki, as I wanted to stay as near as I could from his artstyle and vision of the characters.
    Some faces had more work than others, and as you cans ee from the top banner I also redraw all poses. I also fixed some of the ingame character art, so it stayed true to the portraits.
    Heres is a list of changes:

-Haley. I really liked her game design, but wanted to translate it to sideview instead of front view. It was the last to be done and probably the harder to do (even if Maru had more changes). Her blue dress has now a white outline so it looks the same as the dress she has in game. Tried to give her more bitchy narrower eyes than the original portrait ans thats her whole character in the game.

-Abigail. Probably my favourite of the bachelorettes, got one of the original designs ConcernedApe did as a base, with less anime hair and a rounder bigger face and thicker eyebrows, and mixed it with her new clothes in the game. I also reworked her base fringe, so it looked more like hte one thats now in the game. And of course added her hair bow. Also changed (and also did this for all the rest of bachelorettes) the emabarrasment color of the face in one of her expressions, so you could notice it more, basically putting more color and adding a chessboard pattern.

-Leah. Another mix of the game one with one of the originals, but probably the easiest to make as ther were few fixes to her. Biggest change, and that was based in one of her original designs, to give her more variety to Penny, was enlongate her face making it a little bit more mature. Maybe not for everyone's tastes but you could still use the original one while mixing it with the others of the pack, as the change es not that big.

-Penny. Also easy to do, but I really had to get rid of the Princess Leia type of hair she had. It didnt seem like the type of hair that ConcernedApe was trying to make, because the ingame character sprite and some of the originals are using a different type of hair. So I changed it to be ondulations on both sides of her face. She is the only character with different body positions depending of the event, so I let them the same. Added a string to the neck for her blue dress that was missing. I also changed the color of her blue dress in the ingame sprite as it looked more green than blue.

-Maru. And here is the one that I changed the most (the design looked strangley amateur and stick out like a sour thumb with the rest of the cast). Not only that, but as you can see, you have 4 different versions of her to choose from. You can choose for her to have ondulated hair, or curly hair, or have glasses, or no glasses. The hairs are based from some of the originals ConcernedApe made that I really loved, just with a sideview face and added her normal clothes she has now in the game. I also changed the hands so they would look better with the new designs. And then there's nurse Maru, that got also a drastic change where I got rid of her silly looking hat, and put a more real old nurse one. Her ingame character sprite also changed to have longer more ondulated hair (although curly and ondulated portrait use the same character sprite, becuase it works well for both).

You have installation instructions for the different Maru's in the zip fot the mod.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/e7di5zef23tzt8s/Bachelorettes_Total_Sideview_Rework_M&M_Pack.rar

And I think thats all.
    I had in mind doing the same for the bachelors, but doing only the bachelorettes take me so much free time, and I also have some much real life work, that I decided to have a rest with it. If I decide to make them at the end is probably not soon.

Hope you like them! :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • JonONeill

JonONeill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

These look great, but the link does not seem to be working so I cannot download them to try them out.

• Greenxblack164

Greenxblack164 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really want this, but the link doesn't work :(

• xjapanboy

xjapanboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

mega.nz is not recommended.
          better use MediaFire/DropBox/GoogleDrive/attach to your post.

• lilipea

lilipea Phantasmal Quasar

Looove the wavy haired Maru portraits, you did a great job!

also, the link was just coded incorrectly, copy and paste it or delete "%20https//" from the front of the link in your address bar to download it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
            • SPRidley

• JonONeill

Really liking it so far. Can't wait to see the bachelors and maybe even other NPCs over time.

• lilyeverlasting

lilyeverlasting Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I LOVE your Maru! Nice job!

• SPRidley

Thanks! As I said, if I continue someday with the bahelors is not going to be soon, because of real life work, but Im glad you like them :D

Thank you! :D
                  Which Maru did you choose? Ondulated or curly hair?

• JonONeill

I personally chose Ondulated. The curly just doesn't translate well in pixel art, in my opinion. The texture plus color just looks like "something" else.

• SPRidley

Mmm, I understand. I like both becuase the curly one gives you more hair varity for the girls.
                      BTW Glasses or no glasses?

• AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any chance that I can perform edits to your work in the future? I really dislike the front facing Haley and Maru.

• lilyeverlasting

lilyeverlasting Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Undulated. Had a harder time deciding on glasses or no glasses, haha. Really liked both. Went with no glasses for now, but I'm planning on switching it out in a little while to glasses. Options like this with the same hair style gives you an opportunity to make it feel like her appearance has a little more variety as time goes on. At least, I like that option.

SPRidley likes this.
                          • JonONeill

Glasses, of course. :D I'm a sucker for girls with glasses.
                            *waves at Maria from HM64*

SPRidley likes this.
                            • SPRidley

Glad that I added the glasses then :)

Yup! You can edit them if you want. Would only ask if you upload them as a pack with your edits, just add the link to this thread mentioning where the originals came from and readme in the zip mentioning that the base work was done by me, and of course by ConcernedApe, as at the end of the day, is majorly based on his art.

EDIT Oh you are the lewd mod creator lol Will like to see how sideview Maru and Haley look when you edit them lol

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
                                AirplaneRandy likes this.
                              • ShinAsakura

ShinAsakura Void-Bound Voyager

Great work overall, just a little complain. Leah face seems longar than the rest, like some kind of oval/egg. Would be good the make everyone heads and faces of similar size. Keep up the good work.

• AirplaneRandy

EDIT: You can now download this version. Now I'm gonna start defacing it. :gooby:
                                  http://community.playstarbound.com/...9/?temp_hash=fcadb852adcdf0893537a768201f3bee

Before I start working SPRidley. I just wanted to give my opinion on Haley's face. I personally think it would look better if the eyes were moved 1 pixel to the left. Such a minor change made the face look less wonky to me.
                                  [​IMG]

Update: here's some progress on editing your sprite. reduced hair volume so i can move it more. reduced forehead shadow. And moved eyes one pixel to the left.
                                  [​IMG]

Done. Gonna fix 7th eye later.
                                  [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
                                  • AirplaneRandy

Okay SPRidley, it's done. Buxom Cleavage Haley.
                                    Thank you very much for letting me use your side edit.

[​IMG]
                                    It's available in my thread.

• SPRidley

Thanks AirplaneRandy, I personally like more the version i made, but is good to have both if somebody prefer also the flatter hair version. Also, wow at that Haley dress, doesnt leaves much to the imagination lol
                                      EDIT Watching it more, I thing the flat hair really works greta with your sheer bikin version, while fatter hair works better for the original. Pixel art is a crazy thing, the more you watch something the more it changes what you think lol

Thanks!
                                      About the longer head, wanted to give each character a different face basically, and thought giving Leah a longer face, more mature one, would work well, and it was also based in one of her original designs by ConcernedApe. I understand not being for everyone (I even think soemtimes the orginal looked better, and can swing from side to side depending of the day lol) but the good thing about Leah is that I didnt change much of her appearence apart from the head, so you could still use the original shorter head version, while installing the rest.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
                                      • Elkeri

Elkeri Lucky Number 13

Oh god, now I want to marry Maru, she looks so pretty