1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali (Triage) 1.11.0

Return of the most adorable predators this side of the universe rift

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

All of the avali weapons are railguns.
    "but they just look like regular guns"
    Yeah, they do. That's what a railgun is. It's just a gun, but with magnetic coils on the inside.

2. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

I suppose if he's thinking the massive sniper railgun types, that's why we got the Firelance.

3. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Bit of a quibble: railguns have rails, not coils. Guns with coils are called coilguns or Gauss rifles. They both work on magnetic principles, though.

I believe that it's been retconned that avali infantry weapons are Gauss rifles, while rail guns are vehicle-mounted weapons. Don't quote me on that, though, as I can't remember where I read that.

4. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

They *will* get more chat lines, it's just a matter of coding them in. In fact, I'll get started on that for the next update.

notanaccount2 likes this.
  5. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Railguns have literal rails for the round to travel on. These rails (and the round) are conductive, and a current is passed through them. One rail gets a positive charge, the other gets a negative, and this flowing current magnetizes the system, propelling the round forward along the rails.

Gauss rifles instead have electromagnets around a more traditional barrel, with each coil being turned on at a precise timing to propel a (non-magnetised) round through the barrel.

Both systems use magnetic propulsion, but a railgun requires a simple current passed through the round, while a gauss/coilgun requires precise timing to turn on each electromagnet as the round passes through it. The railgun can have a MUCH higher muzzle velocity, as well as costing less due to simply needing a single power source and single voltage difference, and not needing multiple electromagnetic rings.

notanaccount2 likes this.
  6. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Cosmic Narwhal

ok, i thought railguns were big cannons With two long arms that shoot elecltric/laser beams

and where do i find avali villages? they seem extremely hard to find, or do i have to go to specific types of planets to find them?

7. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Big Damn Hero

that would be closer to an electrolaser
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser

As for avali villages, I've found them on lush planets, but they're really rare. It would be nice to see the dungeon spawning updated for some of the planet types FrackinUniverse adds

8. DinoExplorer2000

plz increase the spawn rate for the avali encounters , im Lucky if i find one on 1 of 13 planets

9. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

while your increasing things make the hanging storage 24 slots considering they are closer in size to the 24x containers as opposed to the 16x containers which are at most 3x3. Aside from decoration they are not really worth using for storage unless they are brought up to par with larger containers

10. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

Since the Avali live in much colder climate areas too, you can also find villages on ice planets.

11. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

Speaking of Avali settlements being most common on ice worlds I wonder if it will eventually be possibly to apply racial buffs / debuffs. Based on the wiki they should not need a EPP to survive near "frozen stars" and should need heat protection in most temperate climates as having an ammonia based biochemistry their blood would be well past the boiling point in an environment a human would consider comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Easy to do, in fact I think Frackin' Races already does something like this (though it also adds lots of other stuff you may or may not be interested in).

Though, if you did this... might want to talk to sayter over on Frackin' Races' to inform him so that the mod doesn't break for everybody who plays an Avali, lol.

If you want to know how, just crack open Felins; Kawa did something similar with the Felins having a special jump bonus.

13. DinoExplorer2000

Im using frackin races for avali, they get; jump boost, more speed in areas With Wind, bonus damage in air, frozen immunity,and gets bonus damage With spear, but also takes more fire damage. i think that was all
    that is another reason i like using avali. few penalties, lots of bonuses

14. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

Has anyone else had a problem with the Sparrow ship upgrade not increasing crew limits ? seems to have glitched out on me where it wont let me recruit more than 2 crew after the upgrade which means I cannot hire 4 crew for the next upgrade

15. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Throw a report on the github, this should be fixed for the next update, which will come shortly after 1.4 releases.

As for making the avali immune to cold, that would require changing the actual status effect lua file, something I'm not familiar with. AFAIK, you cannot just .patch a lua.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There is a rather easy way to do it, I'll see if I can PM you the steps you need to take to do it if you're interested. It's a rather easy fix.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Actually, it is so easy I'll just post it right here:

Step 1): Add this line in the species file:

Code:
    "statusEffects" : [ "raceavali" ],
    It should go right before the line starting with "skull" (somewhere around Line 10-11).

Step 2). Make a new .lua file called "raceavali.lua" at \stats\effects\raceavali\ and copy the following:

Code:
    function init()
      effect.addStatModifierGroup({{stat = "biomecoldImmunity", amount = 1}})
      local bounds = mcontroller.boundBox()
      script.setUpdateDelta(10)
    end
    Next, we need another file also in \stats\effects\raceavali\ called "raceavali.statuseffect". It should contain this:

Code:
    {
      "name" : "raceavali",
      "effectConfig" : {
      "healthBonus" : 0,
      "energyBonus" : 0
      },

"defaultDuration" : 3,

"scripts" : [
      "raceavali.lua"
      ]

}
    (Note: I am not sure the effectConfig section is needed, but I put it in there just in case and set them to zero so that health/energy are not modified).

Voila. should work. I downloaded Avali from from Steam Workshop, so I'd like someone who uses the unpacked version to test this, but I think that should give Avali immunity to Cold Biomes.

Now, if this does work... please tell Sayter so that he can make changes to make sure it does not conflict with Frackin'Races, lol,

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  18. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I'm not likely to add this to the vanilla game, honestly. If I did, I'd have to make them take damage from water sources (Probably make them react to water as if it's poison/lava), and make fire/heat much more dangerous to them.

K_H007 and notanaccount2 like this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I have no idea how to do that, I just know how to do the biome stuff.

It seemed like there was some interest in how to make them immune to cold so I thought I'd share it. I suppose people could homebrew their own mod, that adds this (without adding everything else Frackin'Races does) as this would be a very easy mod for even the newbie to whip up since the instructions are right here.

20. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Big Damn Hero

I'd love to see this, make for a more immersive experience.

K_H007 likes this.