1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali (Triage) 1.11.0

Return of the most adorable predators this side of the universe rift

1. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

The nexus group is what has dwindled, we here are fine. I myself am much much better and well balanced after being ousted from the nexus, I feel like a normal person again.

You know what? I'm gonna suck it up and get back to modding again, finish up the mining laser and release it today or tomorrow! Needs a lot of balancing though.

About the alternative ship mod, I found the aerogel fins odd as aerogel would almost certainly be high drag due to its porus nature and be miserable heat sinks, interesting for you to support that. Or maybe I'm just nitpicky.

Sorry but I must ask exactly one question, how do you put up with being slightly famous and constantly asked stuff? I'm just curious and you don't HAVE to answer.

Lodish likes this.
  2. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I think it depends on how high the light is, and if wing flapping would be viable.

3. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

My God. I have become Ancev, summoner of thought-lost modders.
    I see! My mistake, I assumed from all the Second Life Avali content on Google image search that it was likely your work.

Deeply unfortunate! I was looking forward to playing fluffy space raptors in Stellaris.

And yes, Paradox support is one of its low points. They make great games, but their customer service and tech support are kind of shit.

Gratuitous Lurking likes this.
  4. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Could file dmca takedowns for unauthorized reproduction, or demand a cut of the profits for it.

5. Ancev Caine

I personally detest DMCA takedowns even for perfectly legitimate reasons, though obviously my opinion on Ryuujin's property is irrelevant. I do agree though that if someone is making for-profit Avali stuff without Ryuujin's permission something should be done.

6. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Just wanted to point out that I don't think anyone likes getting 20 quotes, and I just now realized we're doing exactly that to poor ryu
    Then you've never seen them used right.
    Someone stole ryuu's idea, and is making a profit off of his work without his permission and leaving him broke.

Copyright exists to protect content creators from people vultures who would rather steal good stuff without putting effort into making it, it's much the same for music, doesn't matter if they're already rich they have a right to protect their intellectual property.

7. GreenBanana

GreenBanana Void-Bound Voyager

What is the process for properly uninstalling this mod, and mods like it? I want to know more about the functions of the game.

8. Ancev Caine

No, I haven't.

I don't disagree with that sentiment and I know full well what copyright is, but is the situation actually infringement? Ryuujin stated he spoke with the Second Life guy before - it's possible they already have an arrangement, just that Ryuujin and the Second Life modder disagreed about something. Assuming the Second Life guy either isn't charging money for his Avali work or has Ryuujin's permission, then there's no infringement.

Edit:
    This isn't necessarily the correct area to ask that question, but I'll answer anyway. That depends on how you installed the mod - if you used the Steam workshop, simply unsubscribe and bam, done. If you installed to the mod folder, delete the mods you want uninstalled from the folder. Either process uninstalls the mod from your game.

HOWEVER, just uninstalling a mod and continuing to play can have unintended side effects like bugs and crashes. I recommend before uninstalling a mod you first delete any content related to it - if you're getting rid of, say, the Ore Plants+ mod, trash your seed maker, seed converter and any mod-enabled seeds before uninstalling. If you want to ditch Avali Triage, delete your Avali character and purge your Universe folder of any world files that you found Avali settlements on (this will reset those worlds and cause them to be randomly generated again when you visit them next). Whenever updating Avali Triage or fiddling with other race mods I tend to always delete my characters, purge my entire Universe folder and start over fresh, using admin codes or Creative mod if I want to fast-forward myself back to my former progress.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  9. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Unsubscribe and/or delete the local files, ensure you don't have any of the mod content on any other characters or planets, delete world files that cause you trouble.

The main things that corrupt saves are null objects or status effects or anh other scripts running that will be called by your character on load.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Rocking the boat unnecessarily by swinging IP rights around like a baseball bat only serves to piss people off (See example: Lucasarts). As it stands people like that introduce a larger audience to the Avali who might not otherwise been aware of it, which is far more useful. If I intended to break into the Second Life market myself, or if he was claiming ownership of the IP, then I might want to talk to him about it.

But for now he's not harming anybody, even if he's making a small profit off it. Plenty of other people've profited from it, for example many artists have taken Avali commissions (Which again I'm ok with)...

...granted I havn't :p - but I wouldn't want to start asking for donation for an unfinished mod.

Marxon likes this.
  11. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I understand your reasoning and I now agree with it.

12. GeminiFlame

GeminiFlame Void-Bound Voyager

So I know it's probably a bit early to ask this, but will there be some transition period where people using triage/legacy Avali mod can switch over to the new official mod seamlessly without having to get rid of their existing Avali structures and equipment and whatnot?

jaymee_murder likes this.
  13. Ancev Caine

It seems you share my own thoughts on IP and copyright - clubbing people over the head with DMCA may full well be in someone's legal rights, but it can also be a dick move.

I'd personally be happy to fork over some cash for official Avali content.

Edit: Question, are you familiar with the Resomi? They seem to be very similar to the Avali, albeit with different lore. Not really infringement I'd think since no money is being charged, but they do look like grimdarker knockoffs.

14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As you say it's very early to say, and I don't want to make too many committal statements as I have found tricks to support legacy transitions in the past. But the content shift between Final and Triage is probably going to be insurmountably large, I wouldn't hold out too much hope of retaining them.

Marxon likes this.
  15. GreenBanana

GreenBanana Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, I'm sorry about posting in the wrong area about the Avali mod. Can I just ask if there are any other files to purge besides world files that generate FAIL files? I deleted the CHUNKS file and the planet I was trying to visit stopped failing on beamdown.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  16. Lespedeza

Lespedeza Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I only have one, actually:

What exactly does it mean for the Triage version? I know you said they should continue and will eventually become legacy assets, but (given that it's a very rough estimate) how long will they be the go-to mod, or rather when do you think the official mod will be far enough to actually replace the Triage version? Weeks? Months?

17. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

So you're going to actually remake the whole mod and I'm pretty sure you're going to insist on doing it by yourself.

I unfortunately cannot recommend, or condemn the one man band technique as I know how stressing coding spriting designing and community management ag once is, but at the same time I also understand how hard it is to trust someone else with your own vision and hope they don't make it theirs on your.

What I can do is wish you well in this endeavor and make an obligatory offer of assistance for whatever you're willing to accept, even if it's just on what in the game has changed. I don't really expect you to accept but it's there for knowledge of supportive intent if nothing else.

I'm going to go for a bit, my ability to converse properly is almost burnt out for today.

18. GeminiFlame

GeminiFlame Void-Bound Voyager

I guess one thought would be to work it so the two mods play nice together and just run both at once if you want both the legacy stuff and the new stuff, maybe fluff it as different tribes having different principles and preferences or something.

Marxon likes this.
  19. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I've actually had plans for such a thing in the past. I fully support you taking over once again, though letting such a project go is certainly not without heartache on my part.

If you're redesigning from the ground up, then obviously the Triage has to adapt to fit the new source material. Triage can be slimmed down to make room for the new Avali base, and Triage can simply devolve into an addon mod. How much content it includes is dependent on how much (if any) content the new Avali mod has in it.

I am saddened to see you have returned to Starbound modding, as this project has been one of my joys recently, but it is your mod at the core and ultimately it's your choice what happens to things. I'll certainly remain a developer in the new addons-only mod, and if you need any assistance in getting the Avali mod working with Starbound 1.0, I and the team will be glad to give you pointers or assistance.

I do have the same question that's been asked a few times, though, what exactly is to become of this triage, and the team behind it?

Sparrows likes this.
  20. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Pretty much going to go ahead and echo what Fevix is saying here, to be honest! It's not like we're being told to stop with Triage; I see no reason why the content we have (assuming there's little overlap between what we have now and what the new Avali will have) can't function as an addon to whatever Ryuu comes up with. I mean, it all works, there's not much of a point in throwing it all out. But we'll have to wait and see, I guess?