1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Much truth. Gonna have to keep that image for future use.

2. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Just a quick question.

Barring any chemical burns or such, from an avali's point of view, would being touched by a member of another race feel akin to pouring boiling water over a leather glove, or would it be something a bit different?

Edit: pouring boiling water over a leather glove a human would be wearing, just clarifying

3. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

That was recently discussed, it would be more like someone with a fever hugging a corpse from what I gathered.
    The corpse feels pretty damn cold to the person with the fever, and the corpse (if it were alive) would think that the person with the fever felt pretty hot, but but burning hot. just uncomfortable.

4. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chemical burns aren't a major threat, and the avali are covered in insulating feathers so direct contact would be okay for a little while.

5. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

/joke
    Calm down I obviously know that you know about all those little bugs, no need to go nuts every time.

6. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Work on your sarcasm then because it just looked like you were complaining.

DarkusTheFirst and J_Mourne like this.
  7. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Ok, because something said in one of the concept arts Zero posted said that any "cuddles" would have to be restrained to well under a minute, hence the boiling water over leather glove. At first it's fine, but then it get really painful as the +70°C or so of their body began to seep through the insulation provided by the feathers.

Well, yeah, but they can still happen. Also, see prior response.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Probably not that drastic. Boiling water is extra-hazardous due to the effects of phase changes, boiling water has a certain amount of molecules in gas phase, which drop down to liquid phase as they touch your cooler hand, transferring a large amount of additional energy into your hand, on top of being around 80 degrees hotter than the surface of your hand.

The effect effect would depend on context. Obviously avali don't have any fluff over the pads of their hands meaning rapid thermal conduction. Most of their body have insulation which'd greatly mitigate transfer - but the odds of being in contact with a naked avali should normally be rather low. With clothing on, you probably wouldn't even notice the temperature difference due to the insulation preventing conduction

Go fucked up analogy machine!

Then i have a solution to ensure I don't get pissed off every time you crack a 'joke'.

/ignore list

9. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

what else was i supposed to compare it to
    something...normal?

Zenithcore, Silavor and RyuujinZERO like this.
  10. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Good to know. Also, fun fact, the temperature difference between an avali's core body temperature and a human's core body temperature is about the same as the difference between a human's core temp and that of boiling water.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yeah a key concept there though is "core temperature". Your extremities can become MUCH colder (or hotter), even approaching close to zero for a limited period without injury (or approaching close to boiling).

12. SomeOtherGuy

SomeOtherGuy Title Not Found

I actually got an entire pot of boiling water dumped on my head by accident when I was a kid. I don't think the head counts as an extremity, but I'm still here, aren't I?

13. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thank you, you actually answered my next question, which would have been: can an Avali develop multiple personality disorder as a result of losing it's pack. My idea was that this could happen as an attempt to cope with the loss.

14. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Sorry man, guess I do need to work on my sarcasm.

15. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Technically, yes the head is an extremity, but it's also not like you were being hosed down in it *shudders at the thought*

16. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

It's very hard to convey true meaning through text alone. The best I can do is use smileys to convey my true mood when saying something <.<

17. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

Not on this thread.

normal is off-limits here. there are now over 300 pages that can attest to that.

18. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

I reject your reality and substiture my own

0deneb0 and Marxon like this.
  19. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

You read all the comics I do...

And I can enjoy every second of it.

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  20. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

This response alone... made me fall out of my chair laughing... literally :rofl:

J_Mourne and Calabrese like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.