1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacefultyranny

Peacefultyranny Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a really silly question but uh! Why would Avalon be an iceball? One would think that an ammonia-rich planet capable of supporting life would also be able to support something like a jungle or something, and having a massive amount of water on the planet would probably be really...bad...for native life. At the very least they'd be extremely resistant to the mild acidic reaction they'd have with water, since they'd have a huge chance of getting frozen stuff everywhere on them.

2. SKyWee

SKyWee Void-Bound Voyager

I explain: an item in my tool is making me crash soooo i supp all the item who's look like weird in my inventory with starcheat and I saw that the starbound edit just the .player , sooo the .BAK folder have the crash item no? I think the probleme will be solved by sup the .bak file......

3. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

The .bak file is only a backup, a copy of an old .player file with a different extension to differentiate it from the file that the game will use. In other words, you don't use the .bak files while playing, they're only there so you can "roll back" to them in case your .player file gets messed up somehow.

4. SKyWee

oh......... but my game always crash!!!!why can't I use my avali:cry::cry::cry::cry:

5. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

What mods are you using? If you use several, you can try removing the least important ones and running the game afterwards, maybe that will fix it. Don't remove the Avali, the race selector or the custom ship ones if you're using them, of course.

6. SKyWee

I use FCS mod (never used in real)clonecraftingtable,Invisible armor,larger locker,mantis ,munarie,Novakids+,pixel good store,realpower(not used),turrets(not used)planetside teleporter

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Simple, orbital distance. Avalon sits a long way outside the circumstellar habitable zone, and thus has an surface temperature in the -30 to -100 range or lower. At those temperatures water simply cannot exist in liquid form. Secondly, trees are evolved to capture sunlight, but Avalon receives only a fraction of the sunlight of a CHZ planet (Probably less than 3% of Earth's sunlight), which is insufficient for photosynthesis. Forests and jungles as we know them cannot exist in those environments.

That is not to say Avalon lacks flora - but they use other energy sources (detritovores, methanophiles, geothermal etc) and thus have a different structure to a conventional tree. There'd certainly be 'forests' or 'grassy hills' of alien flora, it's not all 'perfectly flat dead snow' - if it was the herbivores would have nothing to eat and the Avali'd have no prey. You've already seen a few examples of Avalon flora in the form of cooking ingredients.

Can you use ANY avali or is just this one character?

8. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

You think the Avali are behind the mini ice age in Lingshan Islands?

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

How does it have water vapour in it if the temperature inside is far below zero? :p - Sounds about right though xD

Calabrese and Battle Bee like this.
  10. Peacefultyranny

Peacefultyranny Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aah yeah, I forgot how short their days would be. But! Not all planets have water on them, even that far out. You could definitely have an extremely cold planet way out of the Goldilocks zone and not have a drop of water there! Just as long as, like, it's not as far our as Pluto is, since most dwarf planets that far our are all ice, haha. I was just a little confused at the idea of it being very snowy when it would probably be the opposite if it were supporting a wide range of ammonia-based flora and fauna.

11. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

ok, so is there a way to use the Avali Nanolathe when not playing an avali? or is there a way to mod my other race so i can use the Avali Nanolathe ??

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Actually their days are really long - they're tidally locked to their parent planets so 1 day = 1 orbit. The 'snow' on Avalon's desert regions is anologous to sand rather than actual snow, the product of wind erosion and thermal vents on water ice. Since it never gets warm the snow never melts and stays on the ground a long long time.

And yes i know not ALL planets have water/ice on them, but Avalon has it for narrative purposes (to illustrate how your perceptions and expectations are shaped by your environment. How water, for the avali represents something entirely different; something anologous to rock. A narrative element's that's clearly flown over your head based on these questions :p)

If you can obtain one you can use it; either get an avali player to give you one, or craft one and note down the planet you left it on and come by on your non-avali and grab it.

Calabrese likes this.
  13. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Water ice and water vapour can co-exist in regular conditions... like many solids, a little of the surface material can sublimate directly to the gas state. However, the colder it gets the harder this is, and even a few degrees below zero the amount of water vapour won't come even close to 3%. EDIT: Unless you apply a very hard vacuum on it... but that would make it 3% of about nothing.

14. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thx so much :up:

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yeah that's why I questioned it; the info said it's -128 celcius inside the bubble. That seems like way too much vapour for such a cold, windless environment (It's a sealed environment, so presumably there is no wind inside it, which would be pretty much the only good source of energy from which to make them sublimate)

Oh well, whatever it's only fiction ;) - Clearly triple A budget games do less research than we do :p

OmegaMinion likes this.
  16. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Don't you just love Sci-Fi? It's an excuse to do less research!
    *shoots down a flying bunker with a sniper rifle with one shot*

17. SKyWee

just this on.... I think I will crate a new avali and test to copy/paste all the line in the .player .mettadata and .shipworld ...

18. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

*psst* Don't give them ideas!

19. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Well, honestly they could just have left it to the Rule of Cool. Giant freezing bubble? Hell yeah! But what need did they have to be so specific about the conditions inside? It was unnecessary AFAICT and it only attracts people like us who quickly find the holes in their research. Let this be a lesson in storytelling for all of us.

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As the Babylon 5 writer said when pressed for precise numbers of how fast a ship could travel, his response; sensibly was "the speed of plot. it arrives exactly when I need it to" - or words to that effect.

Zaffa, Garan and Calabrese like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.