1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Huh, I hadn't considered that aspect, that if we use humans as a template you can actually raise their pressure so considerably and still be functional. Also, it's nice to get a second evaluation on the chemistry - I knew something felt wrong about that information, uses that's what happens when you trust an outside "expert" source over your own knowledge :p

I had also pondered what novel uses Avali might have for dissolved metals in their biology.

Both the Firelance and the HE variant battle rifles can damage allies; this is due to an oversight in the coding of the core game (Similar vanilla guns also hit allies). My only other option is to simply not use exotic ammo types until PvP is properly enabled - however, as I've said Starbound is in phase 1 of beta development. I'm neither going to add new engine features; nor hold back using features - just because they are not 100% polished. The same rule goes for the Avali mod as it does Starbound: If you don't like bugs, possible wipes, and unfinied stuff, come back in 6 months time.

Known bug, I plan to have that fixed next update

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Calabrese likes this.
  2. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

I just knew something good would come of me hoarding every interesting gun I come across. I mean, I could have edited in something to test but there's no fun in that. :V Still haven't had a chance to test with any of my friends online. Explosive weapons (as well as explosive and status-causing throwables like bombs, molotovs, and plasma/gas grenades) causing collateral damage to friendlies like pets and PvP-disabled players at least makes sense, so I'm not sure if that's an oversight or intentional, to be honest. Piercing guns definitely shouldn't be doing that, though.

I've actually found a number of them lately. There's one near my base waaaay up in X Sector if you need tier 4 guns, at least, but I can't grab the coordinates at the moment. I'll be sure to post up that and any other villages i find later, i think, because there's quite a few users coming in here for coordinates lately. Is there a page on the avali wiki listing known village locations? That might be a good idea- I think I remember seeing coordinates listed on a starbound wiki (idk if it was the official one) for the village types. Not exhaustive lists by any means but a handful of locations might be a good idea.

3. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

The problem with sharing coordinates is that many of us use mods that modify universe generation in some fashion. For example, because I have the Variety is the Spice of the Universe mod, any coordinates I give other players will be garbage that leads them nowhere since our universes are not the same.

4. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, that's true. Guess most of those users will have to keep searching :p I might toss up the coordinates for that nearby camp I mentioned earlier with the caveat that they won't necessarily work for everyone, i suppose.

5. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I remember someone mentioning that water would be like acid to Avali.
    Something something genetic modification, maybe?

6. Mattyrogue

Mattyrogue Starship Captain

You could use it as a potential new crafting material (or requirement) in the form of 'industrial diamonds' that pertain no relevance to the current tiered armor/drills/pickaxe upgrades. Or simply introduce it as a way to artificially create Crystals outside a crystal biome (After all, some of the Avali vanity clothing uses crystals, and crystal biomes are literally one in fifty.)

Though I could see a suitable modifier to both tech level (Something around the level of 3-4) along with a large amount of Graphite (like, 100 Graphite per Crystal) to keep it balanced.

Jeeze, first fuel, and now Avali building materials, coal needs to be more abundant :rofl:

7. Mc Fow1er

Mc Fow1er Pangalactic Porcupine

I find a solar system beyond the max coorineis theres just 2 gas giants the outer one has 7 planets orbiting it and the first one has an avali settlement.

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I don't think people get how genetic modification works.

You can't 'rewrite the DNA' of an adult, and I'm pretty sure the Avali ethics committees, like with humans, wouldn't allow parents to have their children's DNA arbitrarily re-written in order to make them adapted to a non-avalon-like environment (A modification that'll certainly render them unable to survive in their native habitat, nevermind being so immense you've basiclly got a new from-scratch race at the end.)

9. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

this is an understatement. changing an adult's DNA could(and probably would) kill said adult without extreme amounts of assistance. You are telling a finished machine to rebuild itself. In organisms this usually causes a series of problems.

edit: DNA is like blueprints your cells follow to build you. for those of you who didn't know.

10. David Wolfe

David Wolfe Void-Bound Voyager

ok ill try there and thank you

11. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Out of curiosity, what effect would ingesting common soda at acceptable temperatures affect Avali physiology? I want to know whether I shouldn't worry, get the medicine handy, or dig a grave.

Also any theory on it's possible addictive nature?

12. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Just a thought. It could be like in Enemy Within.

Marxon likes this.
  13. GuardianofHarmony

GuardianofHarmony Big Damn Hero

Okay.... how do you flibbin make the Avali guns?

14. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

you cant. you must locate an avali settlement with a gun merchant.

15. TheTrueUmbrakiin

TheTrueUmbrakiin Giant Laser Beams

I was playing single player and remembered reading something in the Avali wiki about the Avali being able to survive anywhere with thermal or cooled clothing, and thought of something.
    Ryuujin said something earlier about adding thermal changes for the Avali race, like naturally being warmer in colder biomes....
    Perhaps there could be a heat meter as well, and special variants of Avali clothing that provide warmth or cooling, crafted with ice/leather?

16. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

Well, if temperature changes ever happen (not likely until the core game is much later in development, and probably not as part of the base mod because of parity) and they're fully realistic, then the majority of planets will be lethal to Avali, including most starter planets. Avali would probably have to be restricted to spawning in snow biomes or the starting clothing would need a cooling bonus for new characters to survive for any amount of time... Not to mention Avali ships would likely become lethal to other races. It sounds like it would be much too messy to pursue that degree of realism, at least at this point in time.

17. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Theoretically vanilla Starbound will be implementing further survival features, such as the ability to overheat. Until then, though, ZERO has no intention of adding such a mechanic.

18. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Seriously anything about soda? Levrix had more than a few cans last night and I haven't heard from him since.

19. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey, Here the thing, i used part of the block/wall from avali village to build my home, but now i dont have anymore of those and having hell of a hard time to find another village and mine those block. is there anyway i could , idk , spawn or create those block your using as for tent background... would really be usfull. Thx

Btw great Race mod! love it!

20. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Well, there's a limit to how realistic a game like this can get. For example, right now we can visit the majority of worlds in the Alpha sector right off the bat, no matter the distance to their star, when in reality the temperature variations with differing orbits can be massive. Also, every stellar body on which we can set foot, except moons and asteroids, has the same atmosphere that every race in the galaxy can breathe ;)
    That been said, if we have cold weather hazards right now, I think it would only make sense to also add extremely hot weather hazards. In any case, Ryuujin is right, there are a lot of features that have yet to be implemented for him to be able to play with the mod to such an extent.
    Note: Don't forget that, canonically, the Avali have developed ways to survive in temperate planets, so starter planets wouldn't necessarily be lethal to them, thermally speaking.

The latest mod update introduced the Avali Nanolathe, you can print it from your ship's pixel printer and use it to craft the Avali racial blocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.