1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I had a thought while playing today- wouldn't recoil be a serious problem with Avali weaponry, especially for hunters and infantry? Even though the mass of the projectiles is usually pretty low comparatively, railguns still produce considerable recoil to achieve an effect comparable or superior to similarly-sized chemical-propelled firearms. Given their small and lightly-built stature, I'm surprised something like (micro?)rocket-based weaponry isn't more popular for avali infantry. I know drones would handle the heavier railguns anyway, but just a thought.

Also, another note, is aegisteel weaponry anywhere on the roadmap? It may just be a pet peeve of mine, but the hylotl placeholders look downright repulsive and it's been bothering me for a while :s

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

You're going to be changing the sprite sheet colours? Well that takes a load off my mind then. Do you want help recolouring them? I'm really good at that!

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

• Select by colour
    • Replace
    • ????
    • PROFIT
    The heavy railguns are a case of gameplay/story segregation.

Canonically Avali infantry only use "light" PDW style weapons themselves, and infantry serve to co-ordinate the battle and provide flanking fire rather than stand in the front with big guns. They use small mecha or gun drones to mount the real beefy weapon systems (Such as the firelance anti materiel cannons); however it'll be a good long while before i implement drones, and races have to have parity in terms of what weapons they use.

4. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Haha, fair enough then!

*pushes test drone animation behind back*

5. DarkusTheFirst

DarkusTheFirst Big Damn Hero

Oye...So...One quick question before I begin the suit-making process. @RyuujinZERO

The sprites are altered as well, yes? Or is it just one gender? *Looking to find which one to be based off*

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Heh, when i do drones I want to do them *right* - which is to say that you'll have a "control device". When not actively using it, the drone will follow you about and help out like a pet; when you have the drone controlled equipped, you'll be able to direct it's movement remotely, and order it where to fir - basically working in place of your own gun by providing a mobile gun platform; or thats the plan.

Male is most accurate and yes they are all altered up now.

@legoracer - The sprite sheet you sent me only edits the walking frames not the running frames :p

Anyway I compared your edits to my edits and they're nearly identical. Based on both i made some further tweaks and think I've got it sussed now. Thanks for the fixes at any rate.

Calabrese likes this.
  7. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

wow, I wouldn't even know where to start coding that. I'm just gonna make a simple hovering light basically.

8. DarkusTheFirst

Alrighty then. Let me have another go at the vanilla=avali crossovers then *Has been waiting for this*

It'll be at least until later tommorrow before I can crackin, since i have a Mid-term exam tommrow, because colloege= fun. So, It'll be a bit, but I will have stuff done as soon as I am capable!

9. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

As a thought, maybe as a way to work it, could make it a tech where the Avali is covered in a holoshield as the drone takes on the player stats, then acting as kinda a hoverbike/mecha vehicle with the player still on the ground?

Calabrese likes this.
  10. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Not gonna say anything about techs and the like, because the only sure thing about those drones you want to do is that they'll probably require some heavy coding.
    Still, why would the drone take on the player's stats? Shouldn't it have stats of it's own, maybe lower or higher depending on whether it's a reconnaissance or assault drone?

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Nothing that crude. Well i mean I could ALSo implement that option as a kind've remote scout deal (Would make for good immersion being able to scout quickly ahead on hostile worlds). But I want to have a gun-drone that can operate on screen with the player simultaneously and I' 99% positive I can achieve that (As I've said before, I'm a far better programmer than a pixel artist. In fact this is my first try at pixel art.)

if I were to implement a scout drone tech; it'd be just that, an unarmed scout drone that moves fast. When the player activates the tech, it replaces his sprite and movement behaviour with that of the drone. When the player stops using the tech (or the drone takes significant damage), he is sent back to the location he started at and health returned to where it was before - giving the impression he was just "viewing things through the drones sensors".

Main role of that being to scout out in advance to see what the planet holds, instead of wasting time walking there yourself. But at the cost of not making any ACTUAL progress, and having no weapon systems.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Icowom, Silavor, Marxon and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, right, I just wanted to drop some images of the base I and peacefultyranny were building back on the Furrybound server (this was before the latest patch, so it really doesn't have the decor I'd prefer nowadays). We were short on Avali construction materials (tech panels, platforms, etc) and ended up making it rather human-styled, with the explanation that it was a human mining base (failed probably due to investors backing out idk) re-occupied and refurbished by avali. Also, like all of our NPCs wandered out and died just before I finished wiring everything. :I I'm pretty proud of it though! It's the first good-sized build I've done in Starbound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peacefultyranny likes this.
  13. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know. The walking animation was the only thing wrong with the malebody sheet as I stated.

I basically copied the lower half (legs) of the armor sprites from the previous version over onto the new ones, so it was a simple fix. Although, now you've got me curious as to what "further tweaks" you made. o_O

14. DarkusTheFirst

Okay...Because I cannot work as fast as I would like, and this is for the Avali, are there any preferances for what vanilla sets that people would like to have for the Avali? Becuase if there is no preferance, I'll be starting the Apex Commander set like I had started the first time.

And as you are essentially the god of the race, I am curious what outfits you'd like to see on them first @RyuujinZERO

15. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

Personally, I'd really love to see the Apex scientist set modified for avali.

Calabrese likes this.
  16. Gratuitous Lurking

love the combo of human/avali items, like the mess hall.

17. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

this, as I build my research base, I want a goofy scientists outfit to run around in when it's done

Calabrese likes this.
  18. DarkusTheFirst

And as of the time I am heading to bed, that's Votes 2- Apex Scientist Outfit.

I'll check from here until I get out of class tommorrow, So...Hopefully without sploding the forum this will help me get ideas of what it is I should be starting and where to continue from there ^^

19. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

Has the Wizard set been modified so that Avali can be wizards? I wanna see that done.

20. Gratuitous Lurking

I personally wouldn't mind the soldier uniform or medic uniform popping in, but then again we're talking generic. How about the Floran Leaf Coverings :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.