1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Whoops. Been kind of neglecting the front page. After this next update though I'm going to go over the overview and totally re-do it to better document all the new features that are present these days, didn't realise it was quite that behind now though
    • Yes that'll be coming in a day or two, and always been intended but as you can guess there's a heck of a lot of stuff to do for a single person :p
    • Minor oversight, it'll be craftable via the same station as the blocks next patch anyway.
    • Again minor oversight, the settlement update added around 5,000-6,000 lines of code and dialogue. Not a huge surprise that there is the odd typo or inconsistency if people just report those as a list i can tick them off quickly enough.
    • Oops, still glad people approved of the Floran take.
    • Same as most the description inconsistencies.
    • Yeah this was broken by the Disappointing Koala patch which changed how interactables work. I'll have that fixed next update.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Calabrese likes this.
  2. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Well, time to add to the pile of creations in this thread. Here's my work in progress for the Avali fragment of my home world builds. In this case, it has it's own farming area (5 rows, 2 for ore plants (Iron/Coal) to allow for constant construction, and 3 for the Avali plants released thus far), a fancy work area for weapon upgrades and the nanoloom, a sleeping area for soldiers, and plenty of LED scanning light thingies!

[​IMG]

Alas, not sure what all I'm gonna do in the upper floor yet though... Not sure if adding cloth bits with blocks works too well. May wait till the next settlement update...

3. Mattyrogue

Mattyrogue Starship Captain

Wow, that's a really nice base. Gives me some decent ideas in fact... If it wasn't for the fact I have yet to find an ideal place to settle down. (Fussy colonist go! Dx)

Calabrese likes this.
  4. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

The planet I'm using is a arid planet I ran into before I started dumping mods in, it's got poison water mostly but it has starfalls for weather. Gets very pretty at night when they fly down :3 Only downside is alpha sector, so I'm not getting bonus cash for beating enemies apart. Luckily, dosh plants to help pile money up!

5. Mattyrogue

That ore crystal mod huh? I should really try it myself, and yeah, alas, I'm a fussy bugger like that.

6. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Thanks for the reply! Indeed, it looks like a lot of work. I often take a look inside the mods I download and it's no surprise to see yours is by far the most expansive, on the level of a game expansion. With all that stuff, it is actually a good thing in my eyes that the only "issues" in the mod are either in-dev missing features, or very minor inconsistencies. You sure seem to know what you're doing.
    Also, LOL @ Disappointing Koala. Sounds like Beta doesn't make life any easier for modders... no hurries, take the time you need and enjoy your creation. I'm gonna wait until the next update to report typos and stuff, since it's so close now, it's likely that I'll end up reporting a lot of stuff that has been fixed already.

Oh my... I had no idea we had a version history function for mods. Thanks a bunch for educating me! I'm gonna be trying your mod out right away.

7. NLights

NLights Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mattyrogue likes this.
  8. Mattyrogue

To be fair, we haven't even left Phase 1 of the Open Beta yet, Tiy did specify in the little blog memo he sent out a few months back that during this time, anything could change... Though jeeze, with the amount of mods floating around at the moment, I'd almost say people play this game just for the mods :rofl:

It's actually a lot stabler than I was anticipating too, didn't expect them to prevent character wipes this early.

Calabrese likes this.
  9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It's not so much the changes that are the problem - everyone knows that there'll be BIG changes before launch, at least, the modders do, i sometimes get the impression the players forget this >.<. The problem is the lack of detailed changelogs. Often the only warning we get that anything has changed, is when someone realises some feature has stopped working and you need to go through the logs to find out what has changed and then work out the new implementation. it's not hard but it may take a long while for issues to surface (and thus address)

Calabrese likes this.
  10. Mattyrogue

Yeah, I can imagine how frustrating that can be, I've had some experience with coding myself (Mostly Linden Scripting Language, HTML, a tiny bit of SQL and Visual Basic) so I know how easy it is to screw up hours of work with a single variable change.

Talking of changes, I dunno if this has been mentioned in the pages before I came along (Of which I've tried to read back but oh god it's such a task) but could the Avali get some kind of clothing warmth buff? Nothing overpowering like the Peglaci, but something to make it so we can actually stand out in the freezing cold in our tier 1's for a little more than a minute (Given their lore and the fact that hunting leather is equally, such a chore since the recent ranged weapon damage changes)

11. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Admittedly, so early in development we're not just playing with fire, we're playing in the fire. But well, SB is just too tempting a creative platform to not take advantage of it.

The community certainly put a lot of pressure on the devs to make the "no wipes" happen... I really hope it doesn't break something down the road, and I won't be surprised if another character wipe is actually required. But well, it's the bane of Open Beta. People want to play the game as if it had been actually released.

Most certainly this. The "Some extra boring bug fixes not listed here" part of the last one made me go ARGH. Think of your testers! Also, I wonder if we will ever get a bug tracker.

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

SUDDENLY A WILD PATCH APPEARS!

RyuujinZERO updated Avali Race Mod with a new update entry:

0.8.0 - Now even more vain

Read the rest of this update entry...

...and now I hope I didn't leave the gas running/forget to remove some piece of debug/testing material :p

Calabrese and Kawa like this.
  13. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Wow, choosing the most random of times to patch.

Awesome though.

14. Peacefultyranny

Peacefultyranny Subatomic Cosmonaut

"Now you can craft furniture and non-tent blocks" hell...........yes.

I was wondering what the heck the lathe was supposed to be when I was looking through the files last night. Now we know!

15. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Awesome! And here I was just about to message you about some strange things I had noticed about the Firelance. I'm gonna go test this as soon as I can backup and update my Starbound and come right back at you if I notice anything not working as it should.

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

In before people ask where the full set is for some of the vanity gear (hint: Full sets are no longer a thing)

Well, it's 10pm here and I'm done. that gives a few more hours for bug reports and last minute fixes before bed (safer than posting it last thing), and gives me time to revamp the front page as planned :p

You'll need to obtain a new firelance in order to get the full effect pre-patch firelances may behave oddly.

17. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Thanks for the heads-up! One quick thing though: do I have your permission to look at and possibly tinker around with your mod files? It makes easier for someone like me, who doesn't know a lot about SB's systems, to figure the source of the problem and possible solutions.

18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Sure, but... there's a problem?

19. Kierran

Kierran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

20. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Not exactly, though I barely got my hands on a new Firelance. I just thought I'd ask, I've seen a few territorial modders who don't like people looking at their code, so I wanted to be sure.

About the Firelance, the "piercing" type of projectile you're using has a quirk: when it hits a solid block, it changes direction, sliding across the terrain. This means that, despite the new firing animation looking extremely cool, the actual projectile can go in a very different direction than the "ray", and it doesn't actually punch through the terrain blocks as the beam suggests.
    I have noticed, though, that the Firelance now makes enemies drop pixels instead of the "bow" loot, which is definitely a welcome change!

I've also noticed a few collision problems with the new tables in the settlement I had found before the patch, but those can easily be due to overwritten old content. I'm gonna have to travel a while until I find a new Avali settlement and then come back with more information.
    EDIT: No, forget it, it's not the tables. There are some strange places where my character tries to step over thin air where the old tables had been, but the tables themselves are just fine. The problem is definitely overwritten old content, and I should find a new settlement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.