1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

well congrats on passing 200 pages heres to seeing 300 page somewhere around in 2-3 days

2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It's like inverse inception. The deeper we go, the faster the posts move ;)

DarkusTheFirst likes this.
  3. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Within a year, we will have taken over the chucklefish forums....

4. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was asking because, again, the whole thing reminded me of Journey.

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I figured as much, I got the same impression too.

[​IMG]

6. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I stop getting alerts for a day or two, only 6 new pages, huh

7. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

I hope you're happy I went through the entire list of Wikipedia's "Journey" disambiguation before I realized this was the last thing on the list--a PS3 video game.

8. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

SO MUCH WANT!!!

9. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Even if it didn't have the scarf blowing in the wind for idle animations, would still love to see that. I've kinda had ideas for a second avali character and it would be perfect for what I had in mind.:p

10. QuicksilverConspiracy

QuicksilverConspiracy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm... We need to fluff it.

"An Avali cloak is for more than just modesty, it's thermally lined and links with your temperature regulation undersuit to provide a larger surface area for radiating out heat."

11. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

Fluff... Imagine if they were just as feathery as the Avali themselves.

We need feather cloaks.

QuicksilverConspiracy likes this.
  12. QuicksilverConspiracy

YES.
    CLOAKS MADE OF A MIXTURE OF THERMAL MESH AND MOLTED AVALI FEATHERS.
    EACH ONE IS CUSTOM CONSTRUCTED WITH THE FEATHERS OF THE AVALI'S PACK-MATES. EVEN IF YOU'RE FAR FROM YOUR PACK THEY'RE STILL THERE WITH YOU.
    ALSO ARENT THESE GUYS SPACE INDIANS OR WHATEVER? THESE THINGS SHOULD TOTALLY BE DREAM CATCHERS TOO.

DarkusTheFirst likes this.
  13. TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne Void-Bound Voyager

Now I'm stuck imagining an info-mercial for these . . .
    Somebody should totally make that a thing!

Calabrese likes this.
  14. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

*sticks fingers in ears* Woah, stop shouting dude!

I'm gonna try spriting that now though.

Calabrese likes this.
  15. QuicksilverConspiracy

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!
    IF YOU ORDER NOW I'LL THROW IN ANOTHER PACK CLOAK AND A NANO-DUCTTAPE PRINTER, ABSOLUTELY FREE! AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF DUCT TAPE FOR PATCHING EVERYTHING FROM YOUR TENT WALL TO A FUSION REACTOR!
    SO THATS TWO PACK-CLOAKS AND A NANO PRINTER FOR JUST THREE EASY PAYMENTS OF
    1999 PIXELS+S&H

16. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

oh Avalon I can't breathe!!

edit: Okay, so feather cloak isn't going to work. I'm just not that good of a pixel artist. -.=.-

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Calabrese likes this.
  17. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Hey there RyuujinZERO, a bit of feedback on your mod. I've been testing it for a good part of the day and must say I'm completely loving it, and not just because ridiculously cute and fluffy.

Originally I though the mod was still in very early stages, since the Overview tab says settlements and NPCs are not yet implemented... but then I was complete and thoroughly blown away when I came across a full Avali settlement. It's so very AWESOME! I had already been reading what my character had to say about the Nanoloom-made tiles and furniture, and in my opinion everything in your work seems to be very coherent and well-though.The overall artistic style fits really well into SB, and the Avali structures are the coolest thing I've seen in the game so far. What you have achieved here, artistically speaking, is beautiful and amazing.
    Also, the functional aeroponics systems... I'm amazed both because those are not often seen, even in sci-fi, and because I never thought about modding in another tile that functions as soil. It's a really elegant feature, what with the roots and all, and I'm a big fan of aeroponics.

Now, a few questions and minor observations. You might have already heard some, but 200+ pages of thread are rather too much for me to read through.

• Is there, or will there be a way to craft the other Avali blocks and furniture, apart from those based on Nanocanvas? There are a lot of settlement tiles and furniture in the vanilla game that can't be crafted, and I assume this is to encourage exploration. However, as much as I want to build my custom Avali-style starship, your settlements look way too cool to tear them down for materials.
    • The Dreamcatcher is not printable, unlike all the other Avali decorations I've found, but it does have a printing cost. Is this intentional, or a minor oversight?
    • I think the description for the Spear Rack should say "gravity to drive" instead of "gravity drive".
    • The Avali racial descriptions for all three of their tables are the same as the Spear Rack's... but all the other species use the correct one. BTW the Floran description of the Spear Rack murdered my sides.
    • Use of periods at the end of item descriptions and dialogue seems to be very inconsistent. It's a minor detail most people will probably not even see... but it's kinda bugging the writer in me.
    • When sitting on the Cushion, if it's facing to the right the character sits in the middle, but when it's facing to the left the character sits almost on the edge of it. Is this intentional?

Other than that, I suggest you update the mod's Overview to reflect the current state of your work. At first I thought it was simply a new species mod, certainly didn't expect so much more; I believe a more detailed and up-to date mod description would help attract more people that might not be completely convinced by the Avali's looks alone.

And of course, congratulations on a job superbly well done. I hope to see this mod grow even more.

18. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

I'm not Ruijin, but I can toss what feedback on one specific thing!

As far as I can remember, some of them will be made craftable directly, whereas other tiles will need to be looted. I think it's mostly all in the air right now. However, there is a Avali companion mod named Catalina Industries, that allows you to make the other building tiles for the Avali at least until this becomes set in stone.

Calabrese likes this.
  19. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

Thanks for pointing me towards that mod. However, I'm playing the previous SB update until all the mods I use are up-to-date; that one has just been updated for the new .pak format, so I think I won't be able to use it for now.
    Thanks a lot for the info as well; you truly honor your username haha! Personally I hope we get as much to play with as possible, the settlements and NPCs look so pretty it feels bad to take things from them. In artistic terms, it's like sticking dirty fingers on a Mona Lisa.

20. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

My next update (likely tonight before I go to bed. Won't be paked. it's just more trouble than it's worth right now.

If I don't end up updating, try the 3.3 update (second from the top) on this page.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...fficial-3d-printer-enraged-koala.1689/history

Calabrese likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.