1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

In fairness, controlling a runaway reaction would be something they'd be fairly used to conceptually -(and your burnroot idea still risks melting ice and causing a runaway reaction too). It'd be no different to how on Earth, a run away oxidation reaction (aka 'fire' can burn your whole house down if used improperly; if not more so, because the avalon atmosphere only contains trace ammonia (most exists as surface liquid), whereas Earth's atmosphere is rich in oxygen relatively speaking so, it'd just be the Avali equivalent of fire prevention. But still, it would chaneg the nature of cooked food, certainly "human" cooking technolgy would yield superior, more controlled results.

Actually packs are rarely blood relatives, and offspring/packs are raised as something of a group effort with aid from the tribal unit as a whole alleviating the problem of who takes charge :p

2. Aryto

Aryto Subatomic Cosmonaut

3. QuicksilverConspiracy

QuicksilverConspiracy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I gotta ask though, wouldnt a conduit of superheated plasma 3 feet from your face be REALLY uncomfortable to an Avali? How do they manage that? Heatsinks that they then drop into a coolant bath?

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Dunno what weapon Shadow's describing, the Avali don't use plasma weapons :p

5. QuicksilverConspiracy

Its less that Burnroot doesnt burn down the tent, it's that burnroot would probably be relatively rare and hard to find. That way, cooked meat becomes a delicacy. Even with the ammonia to water reaction it would still be quite a pain because you have to watch out for heat exposure, have to properly vent it, and have to make sure you only have the right amount as to not overcook the steak.

Humans have that problem too, But for the Avali I bet it would have to be even more precise because lives are on the line.

I also like the concept of having the job of chef be a mark of considerable status

OmegaMinion likes this.
  6. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

That's how I thought it would have worked, except for this line in the wiki's lore/culture article:
    "Avali society is built around packs, groups of roughly 4-6 siblings who live together their entire lives."

Also, I saw the new tent structures and they look great! Certainly better than I could ever do (unless square tents are a thing, in which case I'd probably be pretty good at it).

7. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Railguns commonly fire their rounds with such impressive speed, the friction they generate ignites the atmosphere.
    Take a look at the slow motion bit of this video, that fireball is generated with zero combustible materials.

45 seconds in. That's quite likely plasma depending on the configuration of it. More than a few railgun designs involve plasma in the firing process.

8. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

Some of the wiki articles haven't been fully updated since our last bout of lore discussions. Avali packs are now a bit more like charr warbands in that they're made up of individuals of the same age from the entire community, and losing a single pack member (especially during childhood) isn't quite so permanently crippling and life-altering as it was originally laid out to be.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yes, but even conventional bullets create a hot plume of gas. The muzzle (on handheld weapons) is designed to avoid burning the user ;) - i think people over-estimate the avali heat vulnerability, they're vulnerable to increased core/deep tissue temperature. Superficial heating like that is unlikely to be harmful. In fact "flash" burns like those from close proximtiy to an explosion, may hurt Avali less than a human, because it takes that much more energy to denature and heat through their feathers

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I'm getting that too, you ever find a fix? I removed madtulips and no dice.

11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Oh, I see. Thank you for clearing that up! So it's kind of like when someone in your workplace gets a different job and you have to backfill them. The relationship's probably a bit more personal than that I'm guessing, but do I have the right idea?

12. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I was talking about the meat of monsters being flash burnt by the rounds, not the sharpshooter that put the bullet there.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Thinking more on the nature of the ammonia/water ice reaction. it seems that if the reaction were allowed to take place on open ice any of avalons lfie forms would potentially "burn up" completely xD. Certainly makes funeral pyres easy to create; on the flipside, you'd have to carefully measure the amount of ice available to a reaction when cooking

Oh, right xD.

The plasma trail on a railgun projectile only last a dozen feet or less, so unelss you're shooting them point blank...

need to update or remove any mods that use the .pak file format. Glad i decided not to be an early adopter on that ;)

Marxon likes this.
  14. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even if you could light a fire you must look at the fact of what the air is made of.....If you have enough oxygen for a fire you,in theory, would have enough to combust the methane that's in the air making a sizable explosion

15. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Almost to 200 pages...

16. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

I'm gonna drop this here

We have become Avali Rockets :DD (this is what happens when you give an avali steroids)

17. QuicksilverConspiracy

Well they had to get their space program off the ground somehow.

Icebelly likes this.
  18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I found the best star system, :p

[​IMG]

DarkusTheFirst, Marxon and Icowom like this.
  19. NLights

NLights Subatomic Cosmonaut

Remove the .pak mods? According to this, mods not using the .pak format shouldn't work... ChuckleFish has me SO confused right now...

20. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

There was something about the old .modpak files that prevents them from operating with the current system. That may have just been some mods having a flawed/dirty setup, though, because most of them can be unpacked safely enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.