1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

On the other hand, I can picture the Floran having a infatuation with the Avali and constantly buttering up to them, with the added bonus of said Floran unable to eat the Avali directly (Amonia-based AND supercold prolonged exposure to a plant? EEP!) meaning friendship would be more easier, like the Glitch and Floran relations being the strongest cus Floran don't eat metal easy.

Then again now I can picture a Floran doing almost anything to try and get the attention of a Avali ignoring them, and that's leading to the silly department ^^;

2. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I'm referring to the non-aware Glitch of course, who are rather hostile to most sporting too much technology. The self-aware Glitch embrace technological advancements. It's interesting to note that the self-aware Glitch are probably one of the friendliest races you can encounter, and really only display arrogance towards Hytlotl who, let's face it, deserve it. One thing that must be noted about the Florans is that their attitude and perceived maliciousness is due to them being somewhat young and not grasping that non-Floran life is important. Given that Greenfinger is a Floran (and he expresses shock and horror with a good amount of regret at the possibility that his experiment was what drove the humans off of Earth according to a codex entry of his journal), it's clear that if just educated with patience, Florans can be great at learning and get along with other races. The Glitch are a prime example, mainly the self-aware Glitch anyway, who try to teach the Florans new ideas and because they are inedible, the Florans treat them like best buddies in settlements. To a Floran, if something cannot be eaten (Glitch due to metal bodies, Avali due to Ammonia-based lifeforms) and teach them new stuff, it's like a big happy thing going on. Not to mention the Florans can be exposed to highly poisonous stuff like Agent Orange and simply get intoxicated (mentioned in a piece of lore regarding the humans evacuating a colony).

It's not too much of a stretch for the Avali to look how the Florans and self-aware Glitch interact, see the reasons why, and try to get in on that. The Glitch being very similar in regards to practicality (Hewlett Deckard's logs on ghosts in a UCSM Prison Facility is him dismissing it as supernatural and deducing logical means and suffering from Electromagnetic-related fatigue the closer he gets to his target) and the Florans are hunters by and large. According to Greenfinger, and backed up by in-game details of the buildings, the Florans grow their largest structures by manipulating the environment. That means they could be part of an advanced scouting group by turning giant trees in watch towers and others wouldn't know. Then, if by some chance a number of the Florans die, the enemy will likely not know how many died and how many there are total simply because Florans eat their dead and take the loot with them. It's a rather gruesome if efficient way of hiding their numbers.

Now, like the Avali and other races in general, not all Florans and Glitch would get along, there are individuals (even the Glitch that are not self-aware will permit some members of the hivemind to have an identity of sorts and keep one job instead of changing, like if they make the best pancakes, they stay as a chef, it's mentioned in a codex entry). Look at it from a deception during warfare standpoint as well. If your enemy is being lured around by people using primitive technology to a spot you have covered, the enemy will suddenly find themselves surrounded by highly-advanced snipers who won't even give their positions away.

Back to the Glitch. Examining things as a Glitch reveals they can know things other races won't, especially a playable humans. Glitch will reveal the crystal furniture is useless because of either common gems or fake gems, that the mushroom chest releases invisible spores when opened with unknown longterm effects, that the eye-scanners in USCM bases can be tricked by Glitch eyes with just a minor adjustment, that the oxygen recycler isn't functioning properly and is thus providing inadequate oxygen supply, they're immune to diseases, air-borne chemicals (unless it's corrosive), etc. Great for infiltrating bases, by tricking the scanners and biometrics, slip in, take a few things or deposit a bomb and then leave with minimal fighting.

I know it sounds like I'm gushing over the Florans and the Glitch, but it's mainly because looking at the grand picture, the two races (Self-aware Glitch and Florans willing to cooperate, especially if the Glitch encourage it) provides a lot of ways to shore up weaknesses the Avali would possess while assisting the Glitch and Floran.

OmegaMinion and Marxon like this.
  3. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Too long, still read, enjoyed it. Screen too small to truncate quote, will fix later.

4. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Holy crap, absent from the thread for a day, and suddenly pages.

We aren't far from 200, it's so close, already!

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

You really do sound like you're gushing :p

Independant, thinking Florans, and self aware glitch are the minority rather than the majority. While there is no doubt that the Avali encounter and befriend such individuals on the small scale their numbers are far too few for large scale political decisions. In the grand scheme, the Glitch are represented by their unthinking kin, and the Florans by and large represent an existential threat to galactic stability (If they ever got the tech they'd make the Krogan Rebellions in ME look quaint :p). Again to clarify this doesn't mean there arn't exceptions; avali scientists and anthropologists making contact with the Florans and Glitch, trying to establish relations ,utilise their unique skills or gudie development. As well as captains and colonies out there making use of sentient glitch or civil floran as allies.

But again, when talking about populations of billions across numerous worlds, in terms of large-scale politics as represented by officially recognised governments, I stand by the original statement.

6. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

i don't even know what page i last read from when all these other pages poped out of no where

7. TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne Void-Bound Voyager

@ShadowHunter12
    I would love to join!

8. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well since people use this thing, might as well update it.

Attached Files:

9. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

One of the best lores I have seen for a race.
    And so goddamn adorable. You won't even guess that they are deadly predators.

10. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

Since the guy who made Construction Squared doesn't have the time to add Avali support for his mod, do you think you could make a patch for it? Here's what he said in response to my request:

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I can't even figure out what construction squared is meant to do - if i understand it right, it sounds like a more complicated and finicky way of implementing the modular construction tool found in Madtulips spaceship mod.

12. Mattyrogue

Mattyrogue Starship Captain

Pretty much.
    Here's the link though if you need some more insight, I only skimmed over it myself, seems rather... Convoluted.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/construction-squared.1453/

13. Farrel

Farrel Void-Bound Voyager

I have only one thing to say to that...

Renaku.png

14. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

It's a third-party paint program where you can build structures outside of Starbound proper, save them, and have them construct themselves using a placeable object from within the game. I liken it to MS Paint. Eventually, the developer wants to add more geometric shape tools. Hopefully he will eventually improve the layout, but I haven't used MadTulip's so I can't say which is better.

15. Danisaiah

Danisaiah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I GOT THE GREATEST IDEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADD THIS TO MINECRAFT :D IMAGINE!!!!! 3D Avali :D IN A 3D GAME :ssssssssss:

Nalkari likes this.
  16. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I'm using the last of my battery on this message instead of calling help because this next part is important. NO, NO NO! No on so many levels for so many reasons.

Sorry.

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

But, given how humans look in minecraft... wouldn't the avali just look like steve, with a block for a tail, and wider arms? ;)

Then how does any of this fall to me, if it's like a paint tool, isn't that like asking me to draw you a picture in it?

18. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

That´d be great^^
    But i think it´s not possible without replacing the movement animations :(

19. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

*COUGH* Custom skins *COUGH*

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

That can be done. Someone made a pretty good MLP mod in Minecraft (Good, in so far that it was robust and well executed...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.