1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I love this mod so much!

I got some now screenies of Odin (an OC from something else who happened to look something like this naturally, so skweeeee when I saw these guys.)

On a table.png

siting stray pixel.png sitting large.png

Yeah, I found this when I was going though my screenshots. Put him on a dark background to make it more clear.

I love this mod and industrialization so expect to see me using him with looooots other mods. Making an igloo house!!

2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Ah, yes. I'll need to add masks for some of the new headgear.

They'd also need to introduce an engine mechanic for allowing race-specific clothing variant, then they'd have to draw up tonnes of non-standard armour sheets, prettttty sure we'll never see a non-humanoid playable race, for same reasons games like skyrim all use humanoid templates (even when Morrowind didn't)

Yeah i plan to add some muted reddish tones that would also be a fluff option in the next patch. Though I'm surprised that blue tone "isn't" there, there is a set of muted blues O,o

The colours are bit of a bother, if I allow lots of 'bright' colours, the NPC generation shits out mardi-gras mascots. Originally, the 'bright' colours (hence they only occupy a narrow band of colours) were intended as trim colours exclusively, the original avali designs and canon was that females had exclusively muted tones, while the male had bright coloured markings (A common setup in terrestrial birds). However, in the name of experimentation I decided to let people use the bright colours wherever they wanted and actually, people came out with a lot of good looking colour combinations i hadn't thought of.

For that reason I opted to change it so that females were identifiable by a different set of markings, rather than a different set of colours. Unfortunately, NPC generation doesn't have quite the same discerning taste as players, hence I'm being cautious this time about how many and what kind of colours I make available.

Ah, thanks! - Still squashing the last few sparklies

3. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You may also notice that the swimming animation has the same problem on one of the frames.

I wish they'd do that regardless, since it would be beneficial to custom race mods. (Such as yours. ;) )

Yeah, I'm totally okay with the fluff colors being muted, but like I said, I think the feathers could use a few more colors like the blue one I pointed out. The reason I think that particular palette should be re-added is because it's not bright like the trim colors, but it's not really dark either, so it's a nice middle ground. You could add dark colors too, but I think the colors that need to be added are colors that are darkened, but not too darkened.
    Just to be clear, I only think the blue palette I mentioned needs to be added to the feathers, not the fluff.

The other color that I think needs attention is green, as the only shade of green available for the feathers at the moment is lime-green.

Garan likes this.
  4. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Great job! Would totally support this for inclusion into the base game in some fashion once it's done. Even if it isn't a playable race due to lore reasons, would totally support them in as NPCs and encounters. After all, the mushroom-people are just...there, and the Avali are more than that.

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

6. Ravenholme

Ravenholme Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]

Just a little picture of the character I've created to test the Avali before the wipe, Swiftclaw.

I like the look of the race and can't wait to add it to my (small, private) server's mod roster once it's a little bit further on.

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

BTW, daily update for folks as I've been super quiet today;

Been using today to get to grips with how to create new tiles and environment objects, and planning the best way to make flexible, interesting looking nomadic encampments. Made some interesting discoveries and covered good ground. Also think i have the look nailed for the next few tiers of armour.

I'll be glad when the "core" of the mod is done and dusted, so I can PLAY it for myself in depth and work on polishing up based on firsthand experience ;)

Starhowl, Ravenholme and Levrix like this.
  8. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I can't wait! *fingers crossed for igloos*

Industrialization just changed the way their mod works so now you need an item that they add to your starting inventory :wut: Is it okay that I've modded the inventory? The only way I can see the two getting along without individual modding would be a seperate mod with dependencies on both, and that's honestly more work than I want to fiddle with.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Sure thing. In fairness, mods really shouldn't be relying on the racial quest script to give players items because they have no way of merging with non-standard races; sloppy mod development (Though it'd be more practical if starbound had an additional, non-race specific quest step, but the devs need to instate that)

EDIT: Looking at the industrialcraft mod, it looks like it SHOULD work though, because it intercepts the first multi-racial quest step NOT the starter quest. Your sure it doesn't work properly? *tests*

EDIT EDIT:
    Confirm it seems to work just fine. What was the item you were meant to have but lacked?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

it was the rubber seeds

hmm, let me make another char it could be another one of my bazillion mods interfering.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Oh right, no. Didn't see any of those; that's something that'd appear in the ship's treasure pool; that's pretty sloppy if they added them via the treasure pool and not via a quest step.

...however looking at the tutorial steps it reads like you craft them via a seeding table

12. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Ah, those moments when you stuff mods down your game's throat, and eventually weird things happen and the world doesn't know what's what anymore.

OssomSagax likes this.
  13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Generally this sort've thing can be avoided if the mod creators take a moment to stop and think; and I think the industrialcraft guy(s) have thought this one through and it's a user error ;)

*pokes Raieth*

14. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Well the whole point is break it right? ^.=.-

EDIT: Okay so I think I figured out what's going on.

Because I'm using the newest test release of industrialization they added 3 bonzi seeds and 3 rubberplant seeds to the actual default starting inventory, but each race has it's own starting list. (To make more seeds at the table you need an item that only the plants from that table makes)

to minimize later conflicts, I've added the lines
    [ "boniziseed", 3],
    [ "rubberplantseed", 3]

to the avali default.treasurepools so that all new char have the proper seeds.

But that isn't really something that can be added to the Avali mod, as it's so specific. So I'm not sure how to make the two play along with a third compatibility mod as I'm not sure if mods can mod other mods, if that makes any sense.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know what I found.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yeah adding that to the avali mod may well crash the game. A compatibility patch is nessecary; BUT, this is rather hacky in the first place and isn't something that should fall to the race modders to make workarounds to, I'll go poke the industrialcraft guy(s)and point out that they need to rethink how players obtain these seeds

16. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

That's probably a good idea. I haven't had any issues so far, but only just made another char so I could test it out.

Now I'm going to wipe my universe and start playing an Avali, industrial, Variety is the spice of the universe/Starscape char..... I think I may be a glutton for punishment

17. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

I found a little buggy
    when you crouch your leggings armor vanishes:[​IMG]
    (Edit: unless it's been found already)
    (Edit2:Woops that's a older version, but i just now confirmed it's still a bug in the current)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Pshht, when the game ha
    Nope thanks for pointing that out. *adds to list*

(What's with your sig anyway? xD - Math is the answer to everything!. I actually used maths to calculate the avali's tail animations, after judging it by eye wasn't working out xD. And dad said taking physics at uni was a waste of time...)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  19. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

here's mine =^o^=

[​IMG]

20. Maskrising

Maskrising Subatomic Cosmonaut

random question. what does other race armor look like on them o.o"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.