1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I had a bright idea... it still bothers me that the head doesn't look 3/4, given the lack of points of reference (their muzzle hides their far side eye, their eyes arn't purely face-forward like humanoids). It also bothered me that their lower pair of ears hang down low enough they kind've blend in with their clothing, a lot of people I don't think even realise they actually have 4 ears :p

Simple solution occurred to me, if I just raise the position of the ears, the tip of the far side upper ear becomes visible over the top of their head (illustrating the head is actually at a 3/4 angle to the camera), and the lower ears can be raised above the shoulder line:
    [​IMG]

Survival/Scout/Soldier/Assault headgear/cuirass/boots

ie. Scout's Cuirass, Survival Boots

2. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My only gripe with this is that the lower ear looks bigger than it did before, which seems kind of weird. Maybe you could try moving it up one pixel to tuck it behind the head a little?

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

4. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its my understanding from what iv read that the Avali actually do have a form of a Head of State, What would the English translation of that title be?

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

There's actually a bit of haziness there, politics isn't something I've given too much thought to or delved too deeply into compared to the other aspects of the race.

The basic overview i have in mind is that the oracle system itself puts forwards large scale goals with the aim of ensuring stability/security/flow of resources/good relations with other races, based on analysis of available data; in essence, suggesting and setting the agenda like a president does. Then you have a circle similar to a cabinet that proofs what the oracle has churned out, to check that is actually makes sense/doesn't have any hidden agendas (remember the oracle system is a shackled AI, it cannot enact any of this without outside assistance as a safety measure). Those decisions and their execution then trickles down to colony governors (Well, packs; remember most job roles are held by an entire pack (4-6 individuals)) who see to setting things in motion within their colony or world

However, it's *slightly* more complicated than that, the oracle system isn't quite as simple as "just a shackled AI" and what the public is told about how the highest echelon of government is necessarily whole story, but that all factors into the probable end-game for the avali story arc so I can't give you more information there :p

6. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Thinking about it now, I remember previews of the Avali's in post-apocalyptic wastelands. Were those going to be more emphasized on or were more Avali settlements going to be more clean and futuristic cities?

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Nah that's just me playing with the wastelands biome mod, I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic survival settings.

The Avali colonies and settlements are very much organised and non-apocalyptic.

KuroErin likes this.
  8. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Still nice for the imagination of a war taking place or refugees making it a home.

9. Levrix

Cool man, It makes it even more interesting if the player has to figure the more advanced things about the Race they play themselves (Assuming they are like me and actually care! :p).

10. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

That is part of the reason why I stalk this mod/thread.

11. Levrix

Haha! I find myself doing the same very often. I freaking love this mod! All the lore that gets released gives me a better Idea on how I want to shape my character after next weeks final whipe.

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well I'm almost done with the "core" armour, clothing, character sprites and polish. Then I can slow up development a bit while I theorycraft what I want in their colonies and could use that time to post up all the (public) lore someplace formally :p

...saying that aloud gives me another idea. I could upload the full lore someplace invitation-only, and then go about writing up a separate set of public lore, done from an in-universe perspective (bringing in additional help), like the elder scrolls lore, or Warhammer 40k codices, which could be used as a source for in-game codex material, deliberately obfuscating some elements of their lore with writer bias and uncertainty, and also getting other people's input.

Revealing lore exclusively through reports, stories, in-universe textbooks etc.

charity236 and Starhowl like this.
  13. Levrix

Dude, That is a truly amazing idea, you should go for it! You have the fan base to make something like that work.

Starhowl likes this.
  14. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

I am truly liking where this is going.

15. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Revealing lore through books and etc... sounds like the current vanilla lore system using books

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well, yes it basiclly the same system ;p - but I also mean for the purpose of having an resource of information OUTSIDE the game as a way of shoring up lore for people without giving them large tracts and hiding the less thoguth out parts of the lore. The in-game books are rather short.

17. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see what you're saying, but I still think it looks weird when the lower ear looks bigger than the upper one. You may not need to change the size if you'd move it up a pixel, though, since now that I think about it I think the thing that bothers me is not so much the size, but the position relative to the upper ear. (The upper ear essentially being moved up when you changed the angle, which does look good, by the way.)

18. whitekitestrings

whitekitestrings Scruffy Nerf-Herder

just popping in to report a bug. i keep getting the "server timed out" error in single player despite trying the fixes linked earlier in the thread, and after searching both this thread and google for an answer. sorry if i missed it somewhere, i've been trying to avoid reporting an already existing bug, but i can't seem to get it to work.
    my log is attached for reference.

incidentally, i think this is the neatest race mod i've seen on the site so far, and i'm seriously considering drawing my character even though i haven't even played with it yet...

Attached Files:

19. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

BTW, added a new bit to the lore section outlining avali colonies. I think people will find it quite unlike what they were expecting ;)

Hrm, so, just to confirm you've tried removing *all* mods, and running the avali mod by itself?

The error showing up in the log (where a codex or quest is reporting to have failed), is usually caused by another mod with an improper configuration file is over-writing another mod's quest/codex entries (in this case the avali). Typically this will be a race mod but I have seen some non-race mods that affect these files (such as the mod that adds are the racial building materials)

Code:
    Error: UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /quests/quests.config:initialquests.avali
    caused by: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("avali") in query("initialquests.avali")
    The only other possibility is that you accidentally deleted or mis-installed the avali files so their starter quests were not installed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Starhowl likes this.
  20. Karmel

Karmel Void-Bound Voyager

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.