1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Analysis. Nope sorry, I probably would look tonight, I'll let you know if I find it.

2. YL_annibal

YL_annibal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Biirdy Daysleeper

Loading. Here are some coordinates, hoping that it serves to other people too.

The coordinates are
    X : -12688602 Y 9998434
    Planet name; Alpha Dexter Minoris I
    Go to left.

X : -60638781
    Y : 20577516
    Planet name : Delta FomalHaut 6272 III (red jungle)
    Go to left.

4. YL_annibal

@Biirdy would variety is a spice mod change the coordinates

5. Biirdy Daysleeper

Probably, but I'm not sure because I don't use "Variety is the spice of the universe".

6. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

From Variety mod description:

Question: If I go to coordinates that were obtained by someone without the mod, will the planet be the same?
    Answer: No.

7. YL_annibal

8. SomeGuyNamedDavid

SomeGuyNamedDavid Big Damn Hero

What is the established pronunciation of Avali? I assume the name comes from Avalon, which leaves either "aa-vuh-lee" or "aa-vuh-lye", and there are several other ways I could see it sounding as well. First syllable "ah" or "uh", stressed "vah" in place of unstressed "vuh", etc. So which is right? Would probably help to put it on the wiki somewhere too, if there is one single standard.

And on the subject of the wiki, what is the status of that? Still "abstain from adding new content"? What does it take to add something new, and where do those things usually get discussed, on the wiki, in here, or somewhere else? Questions the wiki might want to answer, information that might belong on the wiki?

Wiki side-note, anyone with some chemistry knowledge want to weigh in on this at all? http://avali.wikia.com/wiki/Biology#comm-2801
    Sci1.png

Sci2.png *Only actually possible off of Avalon because fire wants oxygen, oops

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. Satcomboy

Satcomboy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@SomeGuyNamedDavid I can weigh in on the second picture. As far as we have been told the Avali breath methane (in some cases classed as a fuel) so it is in there atmosphere in amounts that would sustain there kind of life. If there was enough oxidizer to sustain fire, the planet would have gone up with the first spark. So if the Avali exhaled ethylene it couldn't catch fire in the type of atmosphere that they because it lacks an oxidizer. I hope that all makes sense.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

See that gets a bit tricky. For starters the "English" name was assigned by the first explorers, obviously that's not the word in their native tongue.

Next up there's the fact I'm English, and Avalon is a traditional English word. And the English pronunciation of "a" is very different to the US pronunciation :p (Ah-vah-lon. ah-vah-li)- I've usually pronounced the -li ending "lee" rather than "lye" though.

Yeah i only just realised I still have that note on there from forever ago it does need to be removed, it IS free to work on. It was only ever there while I did some tweaks to the backstory page as I didn't want people trying to "correct" me til the modifications were in place. That'd explain why there's been so little changes in the last few months...

11. YL_annibal

@RyuujinZERO are you the developer of the mod? if it is you when will be the next update?

12. SomeGuyNamedDavid

The pictures were mostly unrelated, what I had actually written what I wanted a second opinion on was a conversation in the wiki, but new accounts aren't allowed to link in their first two posts, so I gave the latter half of the link instead. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It only takes me one more post to be able to use links, so I'll test to see if merged double posts still count as two posts.

13. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

They don't.
    (Also you need three posts, not two; next post will work with links though.)

14. SomeGuyNamedDavid

Well then, thank you for helping my posts not double up on each other. Here is the link in full, the actual thing that I'm asking for more opinions on.
    http://avali.wikia.com/wiki/Biology#comm-2801
    So Satcomboy, (and others,) please direct your attention here, and away from my irrelevant doodles.

However, you still raise a good point. Without oxygen there can't be fire, which makes methane → ethylene a lot more viable than was initially considered, which may mean that it's a more viable option than hydrogen → methane (due to hydrogen's reactivity issues).[DOUBLEPOST=1420780647][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ah, so to get it right, just pronounce it Britishly like Ryuujin. Got it. ;)

So, in regards to the wiki, changes are generally fair game? Are ideas discussed first and then added, or vice-versa? Does discussion usually go on in the wiki comments, or over here?

Also: fixed the transparency on the wiki's homepage symbol, here it is in two different versions.
    Avali.png Avali2.png

Plus, the homepage's Art & Concepts "Read more" link is broken because apparently page names are case sensitive. Homepage is protected from editing, so I can't touch either of those things.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  15. Riku Caboose

Riku Caboose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will this mod be updated to unstable (soon to be official update) anytime soon?

16. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

As this has been asked (And answered) multiple times now...
    The mod is currently in-progress of an update. However, it is being completely rebuilt from the ground-up. New ship, new weapons, brand new code, all of that.
    I'm not sure how much work Ryu has gotten done codewise, though, so I have no clue when it'll be fully updated.

17. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Wrong thread.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  18. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Wrong thread, Marx =w=

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I KNOW IM SORRY!

20. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Now I'm more disturbed at what I missed, my curiosity will eat away at me for days to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.