1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Said this in other thread:

I thought I mentioned that the aerogel tube is filled with plasma (may have been too tired). The intended effect isn't so much as to have the aerogel tube penetrate the target, but to have it shatter/break and splash the plasma all over the enemy. This is more of a launcher type weapon than a bow.

Would it make more sense lore-wise to say that it was created mainly as a trade item? I can't seem to find too much info about the Avali's economic dealings with the other races, but surely they trade with all the other FTL-capable races (my character sure does lol, and when the update comes out, space stations will be quite the vendor hubs!). I think Florans especially would prefer a bow over a gun! :]

The "bow arms" are essentially the firing trigger. Pulling back on the string materializes the projectile, and releasing fires it.

Also, on a planet where they evolved the ability for limited flight or just "gliding", you can't tell me that primitive Avali culture didn't have *some* kind of projectile weapon! n.nU

2. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

I don't mind why they use them they look awesome and I WANT ONE. Is it craftable or do you have to pray to whatever gods that you get lucky and find a settlement with a merchant? I've found single domiciles but never a full settlement with Avali merchants.

Do the arrows still drop or do they fly totally straight?

3. Ulithium_Dragon

It will be craftable at the Avali Weapon Workbench. The recipe as I have it right now calls for:
    -Avali Data Chit (1)
    -Circuit Board (1)
    -Aerogel (15)
    -Graphene (35)
    -Impervium Bar (10)
    -Plasma Grenade (2)
    -Pixels (3500)

Keep in mind that I want this to be a feasible weapon for a level 10 planet, so for balance reasons I made the crafting recipe reflect that. I suppose I can add different tiers of it, though. I also realize that all vanilla throwing weapons such as Plasma Grenades are completely randomized into the leveled loot and may be hard to find, so I'm trying to think of either a reasonable replacement, or an easier way to get them.

I didn't want to try and mess with the main Avali mod gun merchant's inventory to be quite honest. Merge tags can be pretty subjective - only arrays can be appended at the moment, everything else simply *overwrites*, which leads to mod conflicts. So even if I did manage to merge into the Avali gun merchants, it may just overwrite the merchant's inventory list, so any other mod that tried to add guns to them would conflict. I'm also an intermediate coder at best, and I've never tried coding with Javascript before (I think Java is a very sucky language to be coding games in for any number of reasons*).

I'm a bit (not sure what the right emotional word is here) that everyone seems so keen to poke holes in the bow's "effectiveness" and "realism". While I do really want to find the most Avali-lore-friendly reason for the bow's existence, I think when you start to try and reason with its effectiveness as per the weapons damage or usability, or the properties of how plasma functions in real life, you start to stray VERY far from:
    *Bad memory handling/memory leaking/can't handle higher RAM or vRAM amounts/emulation method means true "fullscreen" is impossible, so alt+tab kicks you back into windowed mode, language syntax is unnecessarily complicated for a high level programming language, built-in error reports often extremely unhelpful, etc.

4. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

Well I'm certainly excited, only concern would be the plasma grenades but you already said you were working on it. :party:

Thanks for making something cool, I wouldn't worry too much about the lore-fanatics.

5. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

You're forgetting, though: The avali are not chucklefish's. They are Ryu's. He chooses to make them based in hard science and realism. Making an energy bow and calling it avali themed is a misrepresentation of what makes the avali the avali. The bow fits starbound, but not the avali.

With Ryu, you need to expect holes to be poked in your ideas. He does it to everyone, so don't take it personally. ;)

Don't let that stop you, though! If you like the idea, chances are that other people who aren't as particular will enjoy it, too!

Edit: I totally posted this in the wrong thread, thinking it was Augments and Assortments. <w>
    Well. This is embarrassing. I'll just take out the parts that don't apply.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well the whole point of the Avali seemed to be that they were the one race that follows "hard" sci-fi. Or at least not pudding-soft sci-fi. That's why we're poking at your bow. Sorreh, I guess? Don't feel too bad, your work still looks cool!

EDIT: Aaand ninja'd

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. Ulithium_Dragon

Well, you have to be willing to bend any mod a bit to make it fit in with the game it was made for, but I get what you're saying. What I'm not hearing, though (and what I would like to hear, too) are ways I can make the bow "fit in" better. I've heard so such suggestions in that area! :]

8. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

So... I Googled Aeromer...
    [​IMG]

Christovski and Intrebute like this.
  9. DionZeromus

DionZeromus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not saying they wouldn't, but the lore for the Avali as Ryu has put it forward (last I checked which was some months ago to be honest), is they focused more on ambushes with packs and the use of the limited gliding ability they had. Because arrows run the risk of being lost if you missed, and when you're living on planes of ice floating around... with little actual materials that'd made for excellent arrows or bows (at least until they get turned into a work force by the alien group who bump their tech level by a LOT), there'd be little need or desire to craft it. Slings and javelins make sense, but bows themselves? Not as much. Admittedly, some Avali could have gone so far as to craft up a bow-like design that uses modern Avali knowledge and techniques to create their idea of a bow as based off what they've encountered from other races having people use such for 'traditions' sake, as they HAVE histories of developing the bow and it being more than a novelty item.

10. Ulithium_Dragon

I've decided to just go with the whole "mysterious" angle, since I can't find a good lore-friendly reason for its existence. Something like:

Christovski likes this.
  11. Ulithium_Dragon

12. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

i had asked this on the page for the avali server i go to but was told to ask here instead/as well. i was wondering what the avali would use as sware words? (reason being someone made a post saying they wish they could "like" posts made and another said "i f'en hate this" like if it was on facebook or another social page)

13. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

They'd probably swear in their native tongue, of course. But since one hasn't been created (nor probably will be), the obvious answer is that they'd swear in the same language as the rest of the game. However, that's just the surface of this question, and things get much more interesting the more deeply you look. A surprising number of human swear words don't make much sense from an Avali point of view.

Bastard: Given casual Avali attitudes toward relationships, they probably lack a word with similar meaning. Even if they do have one, it is unlikely to have negative connotations.
    Asshole: Could be possible. The Avali have cloacae instead, but the connotations of their word for this orifice is complicated by the many roles that it serves in avian species.
    B---h: Given casual Avali attitudes toward gender roles, they probably lack a word with similar meaning when applied to another Avali. A gender-neutral term suggesting that another is a jerk would be possible.
    F-g: Given casual Avali attitudes toward gender roles, they probably lack a word with similar meaning when applied to another Avali.
    S--t: Could quite possibly be a curse, since most creatures find their own excrement repulsive. Comparisons of things to excrement imply similar repulsion, and make an excellent expletive.
    D--n: Given the Avali do not subscribe to religions of similar model to the Abrahamic faiths of Earth, it is unlikely they'd even have a concept for this.
    F--k: Given casual Avali attitudes toward relationships, their equivalent is unlikely to carry the same crass connotations and shock value.​

Additionally, the Avali would be likely to have curses that don't make much sense to human listeners, because they rely on a different point of view. Here are some concepts that an Avali might find insulting (not canonical in the slightest, just some thoughts on my part.)

"Fragile ice", implying unreliability.
    "Mirage", implying deceit or unreliability.
    "Loner", implying that an Avali was expelled from his or her pack (as distinct from the idea of an "orphaned" Avali who lost a pack).
    "Un-augmented", implying technological backwardness (due to lack of Nexus integration, etc.).
    "Useless", implying that an Avali is only a burden on his pack and others.
    For general use in role-play, however, it is usually fine to simply assume that translation convention is in effect, and that while the characters themselves are cursing in their own tongue, the conversation (and by extension, swearwords) are presented in English for the benefit of participants outside the fourth wall.

This is definitely the weirdest serious question I've seen here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

What about an unfertilized egg? Wind-egg, or whatever it's called. I mean, it's perfect.

Hoperealm likes this.
  15. Hoperealm

Hoperealm Orbital Explorer

I'm new here, but I have a question...

What would be the worst crime in the avali Society ?

16. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

As for how it works, say that it's so adaptable that
    Being such a sociopath that you kill your own pack. Perhaps making the first one look accidental, working your way into another one, and doing the same thing.

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

What's the worst crime in human society? - It's hard to objectively point to one crime above all others and say "this is quantifiably worse than this other crime".

J_Mourne and Hoperealm like this.
  18. Ulithium_Dragon

Murder I would assume. That's probably the most immoral act any sentient being could commit, regardless or race (unless they don't have a fully developed sense of morality, like the Florans).

19. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

being a pedrofile would be worst crime.

20. Ulithium_Dragon

Not saying that's not extremely bad, but worse than murder!? Also, the Avali have an EXTREMELY casual attitude towards relationships, and I'm pretty sure they lay eggs, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.