1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I was told I should ask this here so it could be seen easier. Just a kind of random question... Well... Multiple.
    1. Do Avali have irises?
    2. If they do, if they were albino, their eyes would be violet, right? Because their blood is violet. (Cause I mistakenly made my eyes red >.>)

2. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

They do not have irises. See the wiki: http://avali.wikia.com/wiki/Biology#Physiology .

As far as color in their eyes goes, that's a little trickier. In-game, their eyes change color very slightly based on the colors you chose for their feathers, and most fan artwork gives them a hint of color in their eyes. Ryuujin's official artwork is a little trickier, since most of it is done in greyscale, but he tends to depict them with completely jet-black eyes. Here's a comparison between Ryuujin's usual eye design and Nexeron's earlier eye design. I chose to compare with Nexeron's work because Ryuujin has expressed approval for how his work matches the original concept, but, of course, Nexeron is probably only remarkably close instead of completely accurate.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Complicating matters is the existence of this greyscale image by Ryuujin, which seems to suggest that the Avali do have some structures contained inside their eyes, even if not true irises.

[​IMG]

With so much potential evidence to work with but so little actually confirmed, I can't honestly say.

As Avalon has relatively low light levels, it seems sensible that Avali eyes would be primarily black. Black is the "color" of light in our visible spectrum being absorbed instead of reflected, which in the case of eyes means that the organism is seeing those colors that are being absorbed. This doesn't mean that Avali eyes couldn't be pigmented, however, just that any pigmentation probably wouldn't be easily visible under the light levels that the Avali would normally experience.

In my personal opinion, I think an albino's eyes would look jet black unless put under bright direct light, at which point a purple hue might become visible. Normal Avali might possibly have some degree of pigmentation visible only under similar circumstances, but if so their eyes would appear plain black unless a relatively bright light were directed upon them.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Setsy, Shaadaris and Intrebute like this.
  3. RTBot

RTBot Void-Bound Voyager

So apparently my post was too serious for the nexus, so I'm gonna repost my question here. :p

How do Avali handle military enlistment? Are packs raised to be military, do they have mandatory conscription or is enlisting optional?

I'd imagine most avali have militia level combat training, since this suits their nomadic nature best, but it's members of the ADF and associated organizations that I'm curious about.

4. roguephoenix64

roguephoenix64 Title Not Found

Is this implemented yet?
    sorry for my noobiness.

5. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

not yet. I think Ryu is currently working on it now

6. gonzogonz

gonzogonz Phantasmal Quasar

i know this properly isn't the place for this, but where is the new rollplay/chat/shenanigan thread?

7. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

8. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a question- They're going to add a ship-upgrading system into vanilla soon. Will the Avali eventually have an upgradeable ship as well?

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

"Eventually" but that is a long long way off. I may opt for a middleground option, whereby I simply give players the pieces and let them build a ship of their own piecemeal, we'll see how ships work in practice if tiy's latest teaser concept says anything it may be more involved than we realise

10. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

I'd prefer the "build your own ship" method if you were able to manufacture big pieces of ship, like entire corridors at once sorta thing. Plus, I prefer big ships, because I've managed to almost completely fill the Normandy from the Mass Effect Mod full of storage crates and other essential stuff. And yes, I do realize I am a packrat; sue me :>

11. roguephoenix64

Thank you! :pfff:

12. Csonic6

Csonic6 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So you mean like give us a section of ship to choose from the we can add it on? (add on a bit and the engine will more back and such)
    I like that idea better than just repairing and upgrading the ship and see what you get

13. Csonic6

btw is there away to calm down the guards? I shot 1 by mistake and now all of them are attacking me, luckily my armour is good enough not to be damaged but its really annoying when I go home and them attack

14. roguephoenix64

not that I know of. :iswydt:

15. Csonic6

oh well... I killed em all and replaced em with my own guards... took awhile to gather the steel

Kawa likes this.
  16. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

And that's why you avoid your weapon slots completely whilst in a village of any kind :lickitung:

17. Csonic6

couldn't help it monster keeps spawning on my roof and attacking the npc's below

18. Christovski

That's bizarre, monsters are not supposed to generate on any player-placed blocks. That's how I make secure tunnels, by replacing all blocks of the tunnel with my own placed blocks, and it prevents any monsters from spawning. Might be a bug?

19. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Mobs can spawn atop player placed objects for some reason, it's a common occurance with the avali props. On one occasion it even occured when I built a stack of crates slightly higher than the screen - when I broke the bottom of the tower so the crates tumbled down, several mobs fell with it.

Csonic6 and Kawa like this.
  20. Christovski

Ah, so you are saying monsters can spawn on player-placed objects like the tent awnings and such, unlike player-placed blocks? I can see where that would be a problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.