Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. LYY00054

LYY00054 Void-Bound Voyager

Nothing. I'm just here to have a look.
    ~_~

2. LYY00054

LYY00054 Void-Bound Voyager

My curiosity drives me to ask a question about Avali.:cautious:
    Do Avali drink something like alcohol?
    I don't think they only drink ammonia.

3. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

One of the things you can create is a bottle of what is described as wine. And ethanol is still liquid at temperatures cold enough to freeze ammonia, so it could be possible to create an ammonia based alcoholic drink. Might depend on if ethanol is soluble in ammonia.

4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

I'm kind of an avali noob... what is the difference between the reboot and triage?

5. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Triage is the community update of the old Avali race mod so it runs on the current version of Starbound, with a few tweaks; Reboot is an overhaul of the mod by the original creator, RyuujinZERO.

projectmayhem likes this.
  6. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

So I was browsing the Space Engineers subreddit and happened to find a comment by Ryuujin on one of the front page posts, not related to the avali or anything like that, but small internet, huh?

Speaking of, any news from him regarding the avali since last I checked here?

7. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Nope.

8. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

It's pretty sad that we have no news, specially since he gave a deadline of 2017 and nothing else, not even login. I can imagine working offline without people messing with his ideas, but this sounds like it's been abandoned.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  9. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Big Damn Hero

Last I heard he was working on that one avali mod for rimworld

I don't think Avali development by him is dead, far from it. But I do think his interest in starbound has waned (and to be fair mainstream interest in the game is going that way as well, I mean the devs for starbound itself are putting more work into their other, newer titles now and pushing back the next update. I just hope the upcoming starbound update won't be canceled altogether)

He is somewhat active on a few sites I've seen him on though, so some stuff is being worked on.
    At least its not as bad as the Stellaris mod lol

10. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I'm fairly sure the Rimworld mod is a fan mod. I've talked to the creator, and it's not Ryu.

11. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I can kinda see Ryu NOT wanting to work on that game for the avali... It feels limited somehow.

But YEAH, it feels bad altogether to have him just going away from SB. I really can't see how people lose interest in -modable- games this easily.

12. notanaccount2

eh, from one of his accounts online he's apparently big into NoMansSky right now

" I've always been a huge fan of No Man's Sky with hundreds of hours clocked even before the update. But the latest patch has brought us co-op play and finally convinced everyone else to give it a chance. I guess that means it's time to return to Euclid.

#Ilikeditbeforeitwascool"

>Posted: Jul 25th, 2018 09:44 PM

pretty sure he wouldn't appreciate linking the actual account on the forums here, but I'm guessing a good chunk of avali fans already know which account I am referring to anyways.

13. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

One thing I don't get is his apparently inability to simply say he's lost interest. No annoucement, nothing. One minute he's got a progress update on the mod, the next he's simply gone like the wind. Just occasionally comes online and doesn't say a single word.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I've had times where I look at a game and I go "someday I'll come back to this...." and I'll hop from game to game to game, but there's always that "someday...." which may or may not actually ever come. He's probably feeling something similar, he Wants to do the mod, but yet he keeps getting distracted by other stuff but yet he keeps saying to himself "eh, one of these days..." or "just a week of this and I'll go back to the mod" and then another game sidetracks him, etc.

15. notanaccount2

might be because the triage mod went in directions he didn't really care for?
    As well as the limitations of starbound itself it seems.

Attached Files:

16. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

That's kinda sad. I mean, it did kinda make sense, but guess the way to go is graphene and carbon-based alloys?

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If that was the reason, then why did he start this thread, when Triage was doing that well before this thread's creation?

My guess would be that RL happened, or he put a decent amount of work into the mod and maybe burned out, and keeps telling himself "I'll do some more on it soon(tm)" and next thing he knows, a month passed and he's like "maybe tomorrow I'll work on it" and a month later he's like "one of these days..."

Procrastination is a powerful habit and it's common to a lot of people. I've done stuff like this a lot of times, kept fooling myself into thinking that I'll do something "eventually" and end up never doing it.

18. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

Agreed, Procrastination are the sworn enemy of us creative people.

Yanazake likes this.
  19. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

As a long time and (technically) current member of the Very Definitely And Totally Official Avali Nexus Fangroup Which Is Still Definitely Focused On The Avaliā„¢, who knows people who ARE still semi-regularly in contact with Ryuu, the general idea, if I recall, is that:
    1. He wanted to remake the mod from scratch to "do it better".
    2. He realized that Starbound had gotten even more restrictive in terms of what he wanted to do.
    3. He just kinda slowed and eventually stopped bothering with it because of point 2, but also because of the... Rather rabid fanbase that has sprung up around the Avali.
    ...I say "fanbase", but those of us who actually care about the Avali would be... disheartened by what people have done to them both conceptually and artistically.
    And if I remember correctly, he's actually trying to distance himself from the Avali in general because of all this. It's too much for him to deal with on a personal level.

He was working on putting the Avali in other games but has since cancelled those too, due to engine limitations, and various other reasons.
    So generally, all-in-all, I can say this is probably dead for the forseeable future, because, to put it simply, Ryuu has moved on to other things, Avali-related or not.

notanaccount2 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  20. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Oh.

I'm actually quite saddened by that. The Avali, and specifically this thread, were what convinced me to make an account here. I do cringe at some of the stuff I've said, but I don't regret finding this place.