Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

This, its the one thing that truly bothers me about this all. I know full well about how difficult it can be to finish a project too, I do quite a lot of 3D modeling and its rare that I finish a product 100%, once ive done the majority of the rigging im like "ehh, it works, thatll do." and call it a day. and thats of course nothing compared to making an entire race in Starbound, so I get it, he lost steam for the project and abandoned it.
    But at least let us know in that case, communicate with the fans, tell 'em either something along the lines of "I got shit going on in my life that I dont feel like talking about, so I cant work on the project for an indefinite amount of time." or "I've lost focus and determination for this, I dont think I can ever really finish it." or just a god damn "Ehh, I dont feel like it anymore, so im not gonna keep working on the project."
    Just about a god damn anything, so that we can at the very least put a nail in the coffin and move on. Its obviously his life and hes allowed to abandon the project for whatever reason he pleases, and we cant argue that, but in that case tell us, ya know?
    I wonder if he occassionaly reads this forum, or thinks about it, wanting to tell us but is afraid of the backlash of a "yeah its dead" after being gone for so long, I mean its no denying that some of his fans are pretty weird. his steam profile comments is full of "Hey, I've got a proposition for working together" kinda stuff.

2. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Maybe they're trying to motivate him into doing anything?

3. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

Well, just clicking on his name under the avatar in the OP tells us he was last online on the forums back in June. So it's been several months before he's even been around, and his last post was a little over a year ago now.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  4. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well he could still potentially be viewing as a guest, or incognito rather, though I don't really know why he'd be doing that unless he was really trying to get away from the community.

5. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

If he was trying to get away from the community like that, wouldn't he not read these messages?

6. Sock of Retribution

If I ever get the chance to speak to the big guy himself, I'll probably mention the Stellaris mod as well. I've been looking at that game lately and am considering getting it for the holidays. I heard he basically ran aground due to exporter software issues and Paradox support wasn't willing to help him (that really sucks and honestly makes me wanna turn into a whiny b***h).

There's currently a portrait mod, but it's quite crude if I do say so myself. It requires manual console just to get ability quirks.

7. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, Sturgeon's Law. So, of course it's gonna be crude.
    Not sure what you mean by ability quirks, though?

8. Sock of Retribution

Species traits, excuse me.

9. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Right, but it's a portrait mod. It shouldn't change how vanilla trait selection works.

10. Sock of Retribution

11. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

I am just wondering why there hasn't been a push to get the Avali added as an official race. They are certainly one of the most popular race mods of all time and when you think about it the novakid started out as a fan concept so there is a precedent for community generated races to become canon .

12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

There has been and they were rejected. Partly no doubt due to their unique body shape.

13. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

How long ago ? might be worth another try now that things have matured

14. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

"Matured"? The avali just aren't in the same style as the vanilla races. There isn't anything that can be done about it unless you want humanoid avali. And novakids were a kickstarter thing, anyways.

notanaccount2 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  15. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Besides, there's no problem with them staying a mod. They get to keep all their fun features that way.

16. bjorn0411

IIRC, it was quite early on in the developement of both the game, and the Avali mod, no plans were made, and there was no real sign of it even being possible, but both Chucklefish and Ryuujin supposedly discussed it, and agreed that they didnt want it to be a thing. I dont know for sure but id guess that Ryuujin would probably like to keep his own artistic freedom (loads of parts of the Avali lore dont really fit with Starbound lore) and Chucklefish certainly didnt want it because not a single piece of armor fits the Avali body-shape, therefore they would have to re-draw every armor, and every animation for every armor, just for one race. thats frankly ridiculous and not worth the time. I mean sure they could do it, but they could spend the time itd take to do that, on something more productive at the time.
    Its simply put completely non-viable to put the Avali into the official game. Its something thats been brought up loads of times honestly, and the answer has and always will be the same.
    Id say its safe to argue, that the game will never be "mature" enough for the Avali to be inserted, they work differently in almost every aspect (such as armor, furniture, and more) and it will never be worth it for the devs, or Ryuu, to put in the time and effort to make the Avali mod fit with the rest of the races, not when the (frankly absurd) time it would require, could be spent on loads of better things, the devs time would be better spent on the interesting gameplay theyre doing right now, and Ryuu (assuming he ever even comes back) would have his time be better spent on finishing his reboot, and then adding more, more armors, blocks, furniture, all kinds of stuff.

All in all, id argue it wasnt ever going to happen, and it isnt ever going to happen.

17. Sock of Retribution

What I've found out over time is that basically Ryuujin is keeping quiet and not appearing around these parts because he wants to keep whatever he's doing under the radar. This is what those who've actually gotten the chance to speak to him say (including my best friend, whom I am now very jealous of), and it kind of goes along with the hypothesis I've been forming.

If any of you are not already familiar with Rukiiuu, he's one of the best current avali artists and often collaborates with his peer Jave, another artist who's highly acclaimed within the community. Ruu streams his art semi-frequently on Picarto, and occasionally (though I've heard quite rarely) Ryuujin will drop into these streams. You could also ask Hetuni about speaking to Ryuu, but the guy is rather introverted (not unlike myself) and she realizes this, so she's likely to either ignore your request or say something along the lines of "Ryuu probably wouldn't want to."

notanaccount2 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know, but I wish I could shake Ryu's hand for making the cutest, joypuke-your-face-off creatures I've ever seen. The community has done things like give them a voice (YellowDemonHurlr and my friend) and draw adorable pictures of them. Some artists draw NSFW art, but I'm not one for that, and you'll find those in every fandom. If it doesn't exist, it will. Just pointing out that it doesn't exist will cause it to appear retroactively.

Anyway, I digress. Avali master race.

19. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Big Damn Hero

Please don't, we've all been through this back well before the triage and long story short, afaik both ryuu and the game staff do not support this due to multiple reasons, such as intellectual property rights and that the avali kind of are not a "starbound species" at all.
    If anything, given their origins they would be more of a thing attributed to spore, or more accurately an original creation in and of itself.
    Also, given that Ryuu seems to have gone entirely missing, it is unlikely the avali will ever be anything other then a triaged mod at this point, given that they kind of are Ryuu's intellectual property, and I'm sure you know how that sort of thing is handled with western law.

absolutely, this has been discussed earlier in this thread even (a ways back, but still) when the whole "protectorate" thing was shoehorned and forced in, given Avali's, ah, history with humans, and that its kind of a human-centric org based on Earth.
    Its a bit immersion breaking with this mod, imo, but w/e
    Pretty much this. Imo its a good thing, as the end user has more freedom to immerse and engage themselves with a limited and somewhat open-ended lore, incomplete and lacking in some areas though it may be, without word from Ryuu this is never going to change. It is a good thing, in my view.

you think that's bad, just ask what 4chan's /v/ (or /vg/ given that starbound used to and sometimes still does have regular generals on there) thinks of them. Bunch of autistic children if I've ever seen one.

Anyways, its been awhile since I last poked in on here, glad to see discussion is still alive at least.

On a side note of interesting things, someone's made a DND page for avali, 5e ruleset though
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Avali_(5e_Race)
    its barebones af, but its something interesting at least
    also this
    http://www.mineimatorforums.com/index.php?/topic/65310-customizable-avali-rig/
    I'm more then tempted to pick up blender again to see if I could make a better 3D avali model, or at least do something with the stuff floating around from places like second life.
    might have to look into porting the mineanimator rig somehow though, total miners supposed to come out in a week or two and it'd be nice to make some of the first mods for the pc version.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    ProfPhoenix and Firebird Zoom like this.
  20. bjorn0411

I mean, im literally working on an Avali 3D model right now, I made this spear for it just a little while ago, the character itself looks horrifically ugly but thats just because its still a mockup, so its made out of blocks and blobs. I'll totally share the final render once im done making it, in a good, three months or so lol