Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

Expanding on the chair concept.

How many different ways can you describe a wooden chair without falling back on a quirky accent? Even with the accent? It's simple, rough, and not comfortable to sit on for long. Three facets explained by Apex, Avian, and Humans respectively.

"A very simple wooden chair."
    "A rough wooden chair."
    "I couldn't sit on this for long."

"Add a cushion, and this might be a decent chair." Is what I'd probably put there by the time I get to it. Or I might have the PC comment about making furniture out of wood (something that's relatively new to Avali culture). But there's enough things made out of wood and in different styles that if I keep calling attention to it, the player's reaction might go from "Oh, you're from a place where there's no wood." to "I get it. You're not used to wood." (pleasant discovery to mild irritation).

Same goes for beds. Most Avali would much rather sleep among cushions in bedding on the floor with their pack. But there's only like, 3 beds in the entire game that might facilitate that. If I call attention to Avali sleeping habits with every bed scanned, It'll get predictable and dull, so instead, the PC will instead likely comment on the quality and comfort of the bed, like other races, instead of constantly longing to sleep with a pack and wishing for beds that'd facilitate that.

2. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

"There's no hole for my tail!"
    "I wonder if they use their own hair to fill these cushions?"

3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Let's NOT call attention to the fact there are no holes for the tail on certain chairs considering the avali maglev chair.
    I'm just saying, it would be rather silly.

4. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Of course that does bring to attention how flexible an avali's tail actually is. Can they curl it around themselves like a dog or cat can?

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I don't think so, I want to say it's more whiplike than anything. Maybe slight curling, but most of the movement is going to be around the base.

6. KapitanDietrich

KapitanDietrich Tentacle Wrangler

Beanbag chairs solve everything. They are the best thing I can think of for an Avali to sit on. Plus it'd be hilariously cute to see one all snugged in one.

7. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Or just sprawled out on the carpet.

8. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

From what i remember avali tails are pretty stiff

9. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty much what's already been said in regards to avali tails: they're made of cartilage, giving them a whip-like feel. Almost all movement that can be done with them is at the tail base, where there are muscles to shift it. Flexibility there, though, is rather extensive from what I remember, so an avali character shouldn't feel strained back there too often.

10. KapitanDietrich

I wish we could have an update on where Ryu is on the mod as well as an ETA on when Avali Reboot is done. Unless he got mugged and killed while in the USA, wouldn't surprise me.

11. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Assuming the person who he was staying with knew about his work on the forums, (s)he would have said something by now.

12. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Ouch....

He has actually been playing a ton of Warframe as of late, so he isn't dead.

13. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

Warframe... it can be addicting indeed. * Cough, anyone wants to gift me platinum and prime warframes? Cough*.

Relten and Firebird Zoom like this.
  14. KapitanDietrich

Oh, well we're never seeing him for a long time if he got hooked on Warframe xD
    That game is just... addicting sometimes, it sucks ya in. Makes me glad I gave my account to my friend xD

15. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

*Looks at the 20+ hours has logged over the few days*

Yeah... my friends may have gotten me into it recently.

Mesa is bae. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

16. KapitanDietrich

Mesa gameplay in a nutshell = YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

17. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

This is getting kinda off topic...

Runa Rosarry and Firebird Zoom like this.
  18. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

19. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

So chances are, their tails will be sticking straight up when they sit.

20. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Yeah basically.