Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

The wiki doesn't mention swarm tactics, but it does mention hit and run tactics being the primary strategy. I would characterize avali ships as glass cannons that survive by not being there when the target returns fire. But you're right that they use a ton of drones. Though I do see a reference to commanding "swarms" of drones.

Interestingly, I've heard speculation that the remnant humans would take the opposite approach: big ships capable of shrugging off damage. My own thought is that human ships would be very big, but highly automated but with small crews (think ships big enough to carry tens of thousands pf people, but only crewed by a couple hundred), with drones to carry out internal repairs and act as fighters and frigates. If so, human ships are exactly the kind of ships that the wiki says would give avali difficulty. Alternatively, a combined human-avali fleet would be deadly.

2. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why take the hit when you can shoot at incoming projectiles? But yes, A fleet of more nimble Avali craft, combined with what's left of the USCM fleet... would be hell to anything in it's path. Too bad Avali might as well hate humanity.

One thing to note, however. Most dedicated combat vessels of the Avali are completely automated. So, even if you breach their hull, they could continue fighting, assuming they use redundant systems. Were Avali willing to give this tech up, or Humans to adopt something similar... just think of the damage that could be taken, and a ship would still be able to fight.

Runa Rosarry and Firebird Zoom like this.
  3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Hate is a pretty big word. It should be more like slight disdain, if not less.

4. TR-219

Still more than enough to not want to work with them, but yes. I may have been a little overzealous.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

It's one of those case-by-case things. Some will let bygones be bygones, others will hold a bad grudge.

6. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

It is ill advised to make a monolith of an entire species. And the dislike of humans or at least foreigners in general is an Illuminate thing, the independent worlds may have different policies.

7. TR-219

True, given the Avali's diversity. there would be some who are less xenophobic. I was referencing the illuminate in particular, but even within it, there may be some who can get along with humans. And the independents can probably vary from shooting all outsiders on sight, to free trade.

8. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

Regarding that new update, as stated earlier in this thread there is no mention of ship to ship combat. If you CAN just fly to a friend's ship and dock, that'll probably be something we would need to code/sprite for.

If you can assemble a fleet, however, I may just make the stage 1 ship be the only ship you get (Higher stages would just be the same thing again, rather than growing the ship) and let you use more and more ships in the fleet per level. I've been wanting a way to make/emulate a fleet of smaller ships rather than one large ship for a long while.

9. Corosar

Corosar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh god i just discovered this. Great to hear that its being rebuilt. Ryuu i really wanna know when its out because holy crap am i excited to have you back in the helm of the mod ^w^

10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Might want to temper your excitement, since Ryuu hasn't been on since mid November.

11. TR-219

You aren't the only one who discovered this recently... And it's been said that the triage should continue as it has been. So he isn't back, per say. But working on the next iteration of the Avali mod. At least, I hope he is still working on it.

12. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

Back on the previous topic, if I may interrupt. Though, I imagine a human fleet would also be fully automated, or at least some militaries would be. The thing about humans is the diversity of thought, we typically enjoy the idea of doing whatever we want rather an ai controlling us. Therefore, one military may be very avali-like while another may be very tanky. The only limiting factor would realistically be the amount that these armies would be willing to work together.
    Also, there may very well be human/avali civilizations. I'd like to think that avali have no typical grudge with humans, rather the illuminate society is teaching that humans are bad. Such as how to humans, dictators are usually portrayed as a negative, while in truth some dictators have been very good leaders and/or person.

13. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

The "humans are bad" thing stems from the fact that a human-seeming race decided to bomb Avalon when they discovered the life there, but that was a long time ago.

I mean, look at today. The United States dropped two nukes on Japan and look at how close the two countries are today.

14. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Yeah, you'd think they'd put the past behind them but the sheer volume of abuse Avali NPCs heap on human players suggests otherwise.

15. Runa Rosarry

Runa Rosarry Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed, that's is why I believe it's is more of a propaganda thing. Humans and avali seem like two very relatively peaceful races. It's is very unlikely, given the ever changing nature of anything biological, that they would stay at negative terms with each others. Eventually they two would come together in search for peace, then eventually they'll learn to except each other, until reaching full peace. (Today standards of peace, with light hate. Kind like racism)

IFailAtGaming likes this.
  16. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i always felt that was what was going on, it's just an excuse so when they go to war for whatever reason (resources, is both the most and least likely reason in my opinion) the civilian population won't be as pissed. 'cause hey, we're shooting dem pricks wo dun shot us way back when

17. TR-219

From what I understand in the star bound universe, the USCM is the primary military force of Humanity, probably a continuation of the UN's peacekeeping force. But within it, I imagine there would be different units, that use different tactics and vehicles, probably some automated vessels in there, but we don't know for sure. As for point B... How often are dictators actually doing what's best for their people? For the major historical players, no, most dictators suck. That said, I can't fault Hilter for one thing. He took a broken Germany, and made it ready for war in a remarkably short period of time, both with the construction of industry, and improving it's economy.

Ignoring rants about dictators, I wouldn't be surprised if an independent Avali colony was working with a Human colony, if it benefited both. I.e one was a mining colony, the other an industrial colony, that then shipped back tools and equipment to the mining colony.

18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Yes! Humans and Avali need to get along! Play tennis and laser tag, then go out for dippin' dots! (coldest treat I could think of. I know they freeze-burn my tongue.)

Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.
  19. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Or cone of this stuff:

Because everything's more fun when potential explosions are involved.

20. TR-219

That was just... amazing

hypergen8 and Firebird Zoom like this.