Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Ser-matticus

Ser-matticus Big Damn Hero

Not everyone will skip it, and besides its there also if people wish to see it

2. Zaiden_Algera

Zaiden_Algera Void-Bound Voyager

Hey Ryuujin, I've been thinking about making an avali-mod mod that allows you to change vanilla cloths to fit the avali sprite. Would I be allowed to do so if you aren't planning to add that feature (given that it would be very time consuming). Also are you keeping the old sprite or making a new one? Can't wait to see what you've been working on!

3. Ser-matticus

That alone would take so long, given how much their is, the only things that would need to be fixed are certain head pieces, most if not all legs and all shirts.

Tbh I'd love to see actual and functional armor versus inserts of a material level

Additionally if ryuujin were to make new sprites there be very little room for change when staying in the boundry of character sizes as they are only two blocks wide and four tall

4. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

This. ^
    There's very little that will fit well on the Avali's frame, and even the head pieces that DO fit could still fit better.

For example, I was using the Human T1 head item for a while - Scouter's Visor. I however, wanted one that replaced the eyepiece glass with aerogel, and when I took a closer look at the sprite I realized it was also not NEARLY well positioned on the head as I'd originally thought, and I had to resize the eyepiece and reposition the headband.

Original Visor:
    20160729024916_1.jpg
    *The black line underneath the eyepiece here is actually part of the Avali's eyeball - I mistook it for part of the microphone, but it's rather obvious what it is when she blinks. n.nU

My Aerogel Edit:
    20160803213923_1.jpg

I have found a couple chest pieces that work well, but it's very hit-or miss. One thing that seems to work quite well is the Prehistoric Wooly Coat:
    20160728192605_1.jpg
    ...But that's because it only draws its sprite onto one of the FEW areas where the Avali's sprite lines up well with the vanilla body type: the neck and upper abdomen.

I've rather obviously found ZERO vanilla legs pieces that work at all lol. :]

louiseleon likes this.
  5. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Leg pieces are always fun to wear :3
    Last time I equipped some in order to make my crew's uniform, I laughed pretty hard at the four legs my character had.

6. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Also, @RyuujinZERO:

Kinda curious what your opinion is of the idea of an Avali Rocket Launcher (meaning my mod).

I know they've not used them before, but unlike my Tech Bow (which also wouldn't serve much functional purpose), it seems to me that even if the Avali never developed rocket launcher tech for themselves that they could easily see the merit in their utility once observing other races using them and want to design their own version.

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Do it. Even if you don't finish converting all the clothing, you will be making progress for when Chucklefish finally implements bodyTypes that allow any non-humanoid species to wear all clothing or armor as long as custom sprites are supplied for it.

8. Ser-matticus

Imagine if chuckle fish made it to where each species had sprites unique from each other, they already show they can make unique sprites of the different species

9. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut

Id say quite a lot of hats maybe even 50% plus work on the avali, there are even a few body pieces that work that dont have arms

10. Ser-matticus

I just thought if Ryuujin went threw with the idea of having the Avali have an Avali version of the crafting stations maybe he could have a old fashioned loom take the place of the spinning wheel then the nanoloom for the upgrade, additionally you could craft the current nanoloom design at a tier 2 inventors table.

11. Ser-matticus

I just realized this.'how big is an average Avali pack, as I figure a small tribe is three or four packs still makes me wonder how many individuals there are. Additionally and this for naming purposes is the human based name, Thalia. A suitable name for a female Avali? If not could I get help with making an Avali version?

12. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woah, you're alive! Sweet!

Great to know the official mod is coming back, I'd love to see how you handle it. Especially now that vehicles work and other things.

13. Ancev Caine

Ancev Caine Existential Complex

Respawn animations were ruled out for Triage because A: the amount of work involved and B: AFAIK, Ryuujin called dibs on making them before Triage was released.

Lodish likes this.
  14. Ser-matticus

I'm sad, i read a lot of the old forums and nexus pages and realize the Avali are the least huggable race if you yourself are not an Avali. They are adorable and look so huggable but then you realize hugging one would result in you getting frostbite and them getting burnt if skin were to touch skin.

15. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

You wouldn't get frostbite immediately. I argue that they would suffer severe burns, but that's contested by others. Regardless, their feathers perform the function of being full-body oven mitts in such a situation. I remember it being said their feathers respond to heat and can be styled and curled, so maybe hugging one would result in a bad feather day, but I don't know. The necessary heat differential was never specified.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

And to add to this, since Avali villages oftentimes spawn on non-cold planets, maybe they evolved? Maybe they use nanosuits? etc. All of that technology, surely they'd come up with solutions so that they don't instantly get burned as soon as they get touched by something with a body temp of 98.6 lol.

17. Ser-matticus

Avali genetically engineered specifically for mingling with warmer species

18. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Personally, I just kinda like to think that the Avali in Starbound are simply less...lore-constrained, and that fewer of their biological particulars apply in this setting. Heresy, I know, but food alone from other races would probably make a lore-strict Avali's internal organs shut down, so just to play them in the first place you kinda have to accept a bit of lore wiggle room.

19. Ser-matticus

Not to mention water and healing water be like lava,

Not to mention Avali are a little under three feet tall on average, we think of them human sized due to Starbound but these guys are half our size.

That being said one of Ryuujin's old comment said that female Avali would want to get a barring order on Captain Kirk before he did something he'd regret.
    Putting temp diffrence aside the two species reproductive systems wouldn't work it be shoving a round peg into a much small round hole

20. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Well, besides the feathers providing insulation, their cardiovascular systems are slightly pressurized to increase the boiling point of ammonia up to about... I think it was around -4 F or something to that effect. I still don't think that'd be enough to maintain homeostasis, but I suppose that's under the assumption that the rest of their bodies are composed of ammonia and are completely devoid of water, which may not be the case. Or, they could have some kind of countercurrent heat exchange structures in their extremities to bleed off the heat from their blood back into the environment.

But the true reason is that it's a game and it didn't have the flexibility to specify what planets/biomes specific macrodungeons could spawn in at the time. I feel safe guessing that if Ryu re-adds avali villages, he'll implement it in a manner so that they'll only show up on tundra biomes. Maybe Snow and Arctic as well. Maybe midnight, since the avali are native to a moon orbiting a gas giant outside of the circumstellar habitable zone. I don't recall Ryu ever saying Avalon was lacking in light from its parent star, but if it were the case that it received very little light it would help explain why avali "see" with their ears instead of their eyes. Yay speculation.