1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Auto-Sentry Turret Mod

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Syviery, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

I have started working on a mod for an Auto-Sentry tech , I believe this will work well in Star Bound because turrets can have a certain futuristic feel to them and I also think they would be completely bad-ass!

So far I have seen a few threads talking about Auto-Sentry's but they were all in the suggestions forum so I figured why wait when I can try and fix something up right now. At this moment I have only created one sprite that I believe could work for the Auto-Sentry after the tech had been used.

[​IMG]

I have also made a new type of crafting table that is fully functioning. This crafting table will be fully used as I build onto the mod to have more content which needs to be more focused down. The reason the crafting table will be helpful is when someone wants to find something for this mod they will find it all there rather than scattered around everywhere. I have also made a small sprite for it which was constructed from copy/pasting different parts from several images.

[​IMG]

I hope to have a concept mod done by next week but it probably won't be downloadable until I make it with all the features I currently have planned. Feel free to give me any feedback, negative or positive criticism would both be helpful to the development of this tech mod.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Shador likes this.
  2. DarkerCloud

DarkerCloud Big Damn Hero

Looking forward to it.

3. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Images aren't working. It seems like you finished the 'easy work' so far, looking forward to wether you can pull it off. If you do, it's going to be freaking awesome.

4. MorpH

MorpH Subatomic Cosmonaut

Use www.imgur.com to upload pictures. Dropbox is a bad place to host images when showing them off to a site with a lot of people.

5. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

Thanks! Ill try my best.
    I hope I can too and hopefully it all works out!
    Thanks for the info, ill try that out now.

6. Devalut

Devalut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound is really primitive for a futuristic setting|

Auto turrets would be awesome

7. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

Thanks, right now i'm working on building up in difficulty to that so I wont be immediately overwhelmed with everything but i'm getting closer.

8. Sarcen

Sarcen Tentacle Wrangler

There is already a working stationary turret in game, you might want to look at it if you have trouble, its in \assets\objects\apex\turret, might be a good place to start anyway

9. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

I just looked at it, I was worried that I had slipped up and there was already one but I think my idea is different enough to justify having both. I am now going to be looking at the possibility for modding to suit my needs.

10. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

Anyone know how I could change it so when I used the tech an object spawned above the characters head facing the same direction as them?

11. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

There was literally a long conversation about image rotation for scripted objects in the modding IRC. As far as I read, there wasn't any way to use seperate animated images for different situations.

If all you're using is a flipped image though, dualImage might be your thing.

12. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

well, switching the focus off of animations. On the other topic is there any way to create an object above the player when a tech is used?

13. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Not sure if spawning an actual object is possible, and it would be hard to make the object follow the player (it'll need the same gravity values as the player, etc, making it really messy). What you can do though, is use the same method as a mech or the morphball uses. They use a collision detection and then use an image that is switched in, making the player invisible too. What you can do instead, is make an image that's transparent on the bottom, so it matches the player height, and places the turret above the player. You can just not turn the player invisible too, btw.

I haven't looked into the mech LUA too much yet, so I'm not sure how it's handled for the mech. It might be worth it looking into that though. That said, I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve with the turret and what it's behaviour would be, so I could be completely wrong.

14. Syviery

Syviery Starship Captain

Thanks, that actually helps me a lot. I'm going to look into this and I'l get back to you if I find anything.

15. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Oh, something else. I'm not sure if you want the gun to shoot straight or in a rotational direction, but for that you could look at the mech file as well. It uses a seperate image all together for the guns (as far as I could tell), and it must be placing the image at a certain location somewhere in the code, which is ALSO directional.

16. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal