AUA - Ask Us Anything

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OllyOllyBennett, Apr 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. blackjack01

blackjack01 Space Hobo

Hello,

I'm a video game developer and I am actually interested to trying to develop 2D games with Unreal Engine 4.

I have seen your video "Develop Brighton 2016 - Using AAA 3D Engine Technology to Enhance 2D Pixel Style" here and I'm am asking myself a question, may be you can respond to me...

In the video you say you have edit Unreal Engine source code because Paper 2D wasn't too polished by the Epic Games team, can you tell me what you have really edit and for what features ?

Sorry if my english is bad, this isn't my natural language & thanks in advance if you response me :D !

• OllyOllyBennett

OllyOllyBennett Cardboard Sword Developer

Mostly just quality of life fixes for the editor and extra tools for speeding up making levels with the tile map editor; like multi layer copying and correct copying between windows. Also additional tools for handling occlusions for our fog-of-war system.

There are a couple of ways to do this: you can modify the source version of the engine directly (including plugins like Paper2D) or you can make another plugin that sits atop the existing built plugin/engine as described here: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Override_Built_In_Plugin

• blackjack01

blackjack01 Space Hobo

Much thanks for your response.

Do you consider the modifications you've made have been hard to do ?
        I'm pretty afraid about have to edit code of engine, in my mind it's a too big software and very complicated to modify...

• OllyOllyBennett

Here's a reply to you from our lead coder, Rex:
          I hope that helps!

• SilverCatChuckles?

SilverCatChuckles? Master Chief

What does Seal Broken mean?
            My current title i mean.

• OllyOllyBennett

Hi. It's just one of the global Chucklefish forum titles, so is not unique to The Siege and the Sandfox forum. I'm going to guess it's for getting past a certain number of posts.

• blackjack01

blackjack01 Space Hobo

Thanks you very much :catnod: !