Modding Help Attempt to make a mod failed dramatically

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dionon, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

I am trying to make a mod that gives a starter kit I've been Admining in for a while now... It's basically a treasurepool contained within a chest object that is created with emptyhands... I don't know what went wrong, but I went to play after putting it into my Mod folder for testing and it went into a litany of exceptions... I'm working remote at the moment, so I can't go into the Starbound Logs to pastebin, but I'll include the folder here and maybe someone can help me realize what I did... I could have sworn I did everything.

Attached Files:

2. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

Whoops... double upload combo! They're exactly the same set of files....

3. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Failed right at the start.
    Code:
    Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 4:31
    I bet that's an error in your _metadata file.

and after looking... yep
    Code:
    "friendlyName" : "Dionon's "I've done this before" Starter Package",
    you need to escape the " within your string by placing \ in front of it. Otherwise it looks like your string ended sooner than you intended. Here's how you do that -
    Code:
    "friendlyName" : "Dionon's \"I've done this before\" Starter Package",
    You can find your most common escape characters here. Look at the right side bar.

I never looked at the rest, but if you have further problems you can't solve, then I will.

5. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

Wow, thanks bk3k! First you make some of my favorite mods, now you're helping on my first, near published one... Thanks.

Also, I decided to go a different route and make it a crafting station... So far it's going... but I'm having some trouble with the player.config.patch... Keeps coming up with errors... Though, to be fair, I was using the "Item Add" coding from Frakin' Universe's version as my template, and I don't know if it's still good or not....

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Maybe it will help you to use this patch maker. It doesn't tolerate comments though.

I think another member put together their own patch maker which does, but I don't have that link offhand.

7. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

So.... it's in the game... but, it's not on the correct crafting list (inventorstable1) and after Admining it in, it causes a fatal exception when I attempt to open it... I'm starting to lose hope here lol... Maybe you guys can help me... It might be that my recipes are probably illegal...

Attached Files:

8. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

I hate to doublepost, but I really would like some help. If it's only someone looking over my reciepes or something to tell me if I screwed up somewhere...

9. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

"groups" : [ "emptyhands", "craftingstations", "all" ]
    Thats tellin you to craft in.... your empty hands :p

instead put "groups" : [ "inventorstable", "all" ]

So thats done!

Now for the crash, in game it talks about your craftingstarterkit.config file, and when you check yo log you get:

Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 208:7

Open up craftingstarterkit.config and scroll to line 208 character 7

[​IMG]

And that looks a little off... so that's remove that ], and the } above it

[​IMG]

Better!
    Now all we get is

[15:26:49.925] [Error] Could not load image asset '/interface/crafting/alchemitercraftingtable.png', using placeholder default.

Because well... it doesn't exist! I'll leave the rest up to you

Attached Files:

10. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

Wow... Another of my favorite Mod authors helps out. And another very useful tip. I managed to stabilize it in game. Now the recipes won't populate... I'm wondering if I did something wrong making recipes that give existing items...

NOTE: I made the fixes listed above, and it populates the item in the Inventor's table. It creates it, and it doesn't crash my system to open the menu. I had to redo the menu for it and used the Inventor's Table as a template... I'm going to try and see if some fixes that I put in place did something, but for now no recipe is populating in the Starter Kit.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. DrPvtSkittles

Xd. did you try the zip file i attached? Also what what recipes aren't showing up and where are they meant to show up?

12. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

I have now. It doesn't popluate any of the recipes in the folder "starterkit > recipes > crafting > starterkit" Also I did fix my version of the display to have an icon, a different title, and description. I enclosed a img

[​IMG]

13. DrPvtSkittles

That's really weird, because I DO see items. That aren't the items in your recipes... and for some reason my test item "Ahem, Nun Ya Business' shows up. lol

items.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  14. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

The menu populates with Mod items when I use /admin, but nothing populates normally. I didn't do anything wrong with the recipes, as far as I'm aware, my format matches the game's. Could it be that they are in group s ["starterkit", "all"] ? except the Voxel recipes as those are in the pixelcompress group instead of the all group.

15. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

You also need to make your new recipes known to the player in one way or another. If you want all species to be able to see them, this is done in the player.config file. If you want anything limited to a specific species, it's done in that species' species file. (../species/xxx.species) The other option would be to make the recipes learnable in-game when an item it picked up or with a blueprint item that can be used.

Interestingly enough, for me the word "species" is one of those words that looks more and more wrong the more often I use/look at it...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

Ok, I used the Tutorial - Basic Patching to put all the recipe's into my patch file... It's still not populating the crafting station. I've included the files with all the wonderful help you guys have been giving me. This went from "Hey.... I hate using /admin to make this, so let's make a box that gives it to me.." to "Crafting station mechanics!!!!" Thanks all!

Attached Files:

17. Dionon

Dionon Aquatic Astronaut

Ok, so I said forget it, and made it a breakable item that treasurepools the items. I left the crafting station just in case I can get it to work with recipes. If that works, I'm going to add better stuff there... Maybe a custom item or two.

Thanks again for all your help, and if you really want the mod, it's called the "Protectorate Restructuring Kit" I'll probably upload it here if it's not already (I never know how this works with the Steam Upload...)