1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed assets foulder empty after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Rainbow Dash, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

To be fair, changing a couple of lines in a JSON file (which can be opened in notepad) is completely different to using the command line. Knowing how to use the command line is hardly a prerequisite to modding most games. Why would your average Windows user want to learn about using the command line when most will never have the need to even know about it?

2. Dizzle Dazzle

Dizzle Dazzle Tentacle Wrangler

Yup, i'm a delicate little flower prone to being offended. You totally weren't being negative for the hell of it or anything, nope! This entire community is rotten to the core, it couldn't possibly you being a total downer, not at all.

Too much too learn? Not at all. The difference is that I have some sympathy for those wanting to spend their time working on their actual mods, not learning how to work PC commands. Puzzling through a thread like this with absolutely no knowledge of PC commands, when the language itself is somewhat of a barrier and when one just wants to work on their Starbound tinkering, can be incredibly frustrating. Go to the directory/run the exe/command line etc are not terms I was familiar with before this morning. God forbid I sprite a sunflower, for I am a ignorant heathen. How dare I presume to desecrate the precious files without a degree from the college of True Coders.

DRAMATIC... ELLIPSES... OF... BUTTHURTERTY.... SUPERIORITY...

Spot on, thank you!

3. Sven2157

Sven2157 Space Penguin Leader

Ok.. It isn't too hard to explain in simple terms how to do this; which we have done - SEVERAL TIMES.
    So where is the problem? These people that can't Google simple command line usage and then further post WRONG instructions, call people 'DUMB ASS', because THEY can't figure out how to use these tools and then insinuate that others are elitists because they feel their needs are more important to what is actually being said.

That's where I have a hard time. I didn't name call, nor did I say anything negative. What a bunch of babies... :cautious:

4. Sven2157

Sven2157 Space Penguin Leader

CASE AND POINT!

5. Look, just keep it nice people.
    Try to help each other out without resulting to snarky remarks.
    That's it, next time I will start issuing more points/bans.

Sephlington, ___MeRliN___ and Kel^ like this.
  6. Dizzle Dazzle

Dizzle Dazzle Tentacle Wrangler

Aww, all harmless banter in good fun! Still, I do agree it had devolved completely from the topic of this thread.

On that note if anyone is reading this and is still confused or in need of assistance, feel free to throw me a note and i'll be happy to help. Despite my snark, I don't bite :)

7. Kuroda_K

Kuroda_K Subatomic Cosmonaut

That you for this it really helped me out!

8. Firecatx

Firecatx Intergalactic Tourist

Nevermind with all that, it seems that I just had to open a file called unpack_assets at the bottom of the win32 folder.
    It simply umpacked it for me

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. Moogletron

Moogletron Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry I know this thread is old but I don't know if I should make a new one. I unpacked the thing and I have all the files. I changed an image file a tiny bit to fix something, it was backarm in the asset/unpacked/humanoid/floran folder. Then I put it in the main asset/humanoid/floran folder. But the game doesn't see the change. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

10. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You need to repack it, just do the same thing you did with the unpacker and use the packer.

11. Moogletron

Moogletron Void-Bound Voyager

Geez fast reply! K thanks! :monkey:

12. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

I've got the Steamlibrary with Starbound on an External Disc Drive, will I still be able to unpack the assets through cmd.exe? I've trying to specify the path a lot of times but the cmd does literally nothing.

13. NecroNeko

NecroNeko Void-Bound Voyager

14. jarry66013

jarry66013 Big Damn Hero

I know that this thread is super old and I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I just got over the loss of my old .player file so I started playing Starbound. Naturally I achieved he best items within a couple of days (I play way to many video games). I kinda got bored and all the multiplayer servers were filled with jerks so i decided to get into modding. I watched a bunch of videos and read forums but when I went to edit my asset folder for one of my mods I realized there was nothing. I found this forum and read everything at least twice and i get the basics but nothing seems to work. I'm really interested in this CMD but I don't know what it is. I tried searching for it in steam, Starbound and even my computer but just found a bunch of random crap. I even tried looking for something that had to do remotely with CMD or if it was an acronym for something. Whenever i hit the asset_unpacker.exe it opens for a second then just closes before I can even see anything (yes I saw this problem in the first few posts). If anybody could help me with this problem I would appreciate it iv'e never actually done anything code related so I'm a total dunce at this. I'm quite forgetful so if it takes me a while to respond to a post I'm sorry. Iv'e been playing Starbound since the day it was released and the majority of it has just come as a breeze to me but I just can't understand these mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.