1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed assets foulder empty after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Rainbow Dash, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i was about to start modding just after the update and i saw that the foulders were there but every file was empty (not counting music/songs)
    were they moved somewere else or is something wrong

game works fine even tho it has no assets tho =/

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

there seems to an an assetpacker and assetunpacker exe in the win file but they dont do anything when opend

3. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Trying to find the same answer... See http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1w6y3m/how_t:speechless:pen_the_assets_pak_file/

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

yah when i open that it just opens and closes right away

5. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You have to run it from cmd. The parameters are "asset_unpacker.exe <assets pak path> <output folder>" Using the full file path without the <>s. It should unpack into the binary folder, and you can just move it back to assets if you want to.

6. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

I did that, and it didn't work, see my above quote.

Did it work for you?

7. Clockwork

yup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will probably take a while to open, so don't worry if cmd just freezes

LoPhatKao likes this.
  8. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

i'm having no luck running this though cmd, cmd keeps telling me that it is not a recognized as an internal or external command

9. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

ah needs full path, not just relative
    coolio :D
    was trying
    Code:
    F:\steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32>asset_unpacker ..\assets\packed.pak f:\sb\assets

edit: worked great, thx clockwork :D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

yep still no luck i'm typing in E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32>asset_unpacker.exe and all i get is not recognized as an internal or extranal command, this is starting to drive me a bit mad now as all i want to do is work on my mods but i can't even unpack this grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. Clockwork

That's not how cmd works. You need to navigate to your starbound directory, which probably isn't in the E: drive like mine is. To find your starbound directory select starbound in steam, right click it in your library and hit properties. Then hit local files>browse local files. It should take you to the root of your starbound directory. Then you should open up the win32 folder and copy the file path. Back in cmd run "cd whatever the file path is". THEN you can run asset_unpacker.exe with the stuff I mentioned earlier.

12. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

yes my steam folder is on my e drive just the same as you. E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32 i just copied and pasted that as i'm in the win32 folder now, still when i type in to cmd this "E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32" i'm getting the same is not a recognized as an internal or external command, i've now restarted my pc 3 times now to see if that help (it do not)

13. Clockwork

You don't need to type in the full file path, just asset_unpacker.exe

14. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

so in cmd i'm just ment to type in asset_upacker.exe to run the unpacker?????

edit nope that did not work either

15. Clockwork

No you need to navigate to the folder. Then you need to type "asset_unpacker.exe <path of the pack> assets", that should unpack it. Take a screen shot of what your typing in exactly if it still doesn't work.

16. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

ok i'll do that now so you can see i'll also get up a folder in the back ground with where my starbound game folder is.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  17. Sven2157

Sven2157 Space Penguin Leader

Does dragging and dropping the asset pack onto the un/packer.exe not work?

18. Clockwork

No, it also needs a target.

19. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

ok here is what i'm typing
    SS.png
    I hope you can see where i'm going wrong

20. Clockwork

You need to navigate to the folder first. Type, "cd <path>" then run asset_unpacker.exe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.