Asset download protocol

Discussion in 'Other' started by IceLizard, Dec 13, 2016.

1. IceLizard

IceLizard Seal Broken

How feasible would it be to try to implement a download protocol into Starbound, so that people who have made certain assets may share them with others through hosting a game. Although, to prevent character corruption, maybe there should be some restrictions to this:

Option 1, assets downloaded from a server are only relevant when playing on that server unless you have the mods downloaded yourself.

Option 2, the client can choose from a interface popup upon joining if he or she wants to adopt certain assets, meaning things from that mod get saved onto his character, and through connecting to that host and downloading the mods, he or she can from then on continue to play with said mods on his own game. If this client doesn't agree with the adoption of certain assets being saved onto his character, he/she will be able to see them used by other players on the server, but wouldn't be able to pick up any new items/recruit any new crewmembers or anything else which gets saved to the character.

Option 3, the player/client connecting to the server would get a prompt regarding possible character corruption, asking if this player would prefer to create a new character while using these mods on the server he connects to that hosts them, so he/she can strictly preserve the unmodded state of his or her characters, and they are not subject to corruption.

I suggest this predominantly because compatibility with other games I find to be an issue, if you want to play with a friend, and that friend uses mods, you would have to download these mods in order for you to be able to play with his or her (perhaps main) character

I guess this is a difficult issue, because there's the challenging problem that, how would one go about implementing these restrictions considering a mod developer could either intentionally or unintentionally create something that would break the characters of clients connecting to his or her server.

I thought I might suggest this as food for thought, I'm not sure if it has already been suggested; but I think an ingame multiplayer download protocol with restrictions to preserve the integrity of clients' characters would be quite helpful at allowing players to be more fluidly compatible at playing with others.

Quinch likes this.