1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!
  2. Hey Guest! Our new game Wargroove has released! Check out the forums or wiki for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Ask Laurence 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

News time!

Bad news: My computer was not for this world--it has perished, and with it brought to the void all my files concerning the fox man.

Good news: I have a new computer, with fancy high-end modern graphics cards and a screen I can draw on. Much fun!

Bad news: Learning to draw on the surface is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Good news: Sooo since I needed practice, I drew the fox-man himself.

Laurence in Crayon.png

Nothing major or contributing to the plot, mind you, but a little doodle to break in my drawing hand and help me figure out the medium. I find that using a crayon-like brush makes things easier--it's harder to notice the many little uneven marks I'd be making otherwise.

But alrighty then--I have about a dozen assignments that needed to be finished weeks ago and I haven't even started on (I have learned that I do not like homework, not in the slightest), so it'll be a bit before I post here again (assuming I'm being responsible, which is honestly unlikely regardless). I ought to return to making comics like this anyway, they help me cope with the many frustrations of human life (I like writing stories where people make sense to me and don't wait over a year to tell you they don't have feelings for you and treat you like you don't exist the moment you stop being convenient).

But anyways, that's enough of me getting overly personal. I hope you all have a wonderful time of it, and I'll see you on the flip side.

God bless you all,
    --Vurrunna

Alkanthe and Jimlad 42 like this.
  2. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welcome to the surface, comic man in comic sans.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Madeliene Madness

Madeliene Madness Poptop Tamer

How many Bonks and Bonkzonks could a Bonkzonk bonk if a Bonkzonk could bonk Bonkzonks and Bonks?

Taphy and Jimlad 42 like this.
  4. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Wow it's been awhile, Sorry to hear about your computer, but congrats on the tablet!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So I don't have the next post ready, but I wanted to confirm that I'm working on it, so here's a quick preview!
    KeepGoing001aNew.jpg

It's really weird getting used to a 4K monitor, 'cause now it's really hard to tell what's a respectable size (like, usually I just draw something as 1600x900 then shrink to 800x450, but now I've been fiddling with something like 5x7in at 300ppi which leads to a really honking big resolution that starts looking really weird and pixely if I shrink it too much and honestly I never expected to have such a nice problem in my life).

Text is missing because I haven't redownloaded my old typefaces and my handwriting is crap obviously I don't want to spoil it for you all! Look how thoughtful I am.

Also, the line work is a bit janky here, but my stylus doesn't like pressure sensitivity (which is stupid), so I'm trying out a universal thickness technique I discovered while dinking about on a graphic design piece I made about a time traveler going to medieval England for the sole purpose of finding sentient potato people (it was marvelous).

Anyhoot, back to the grind with me. I'm gonna try to find some nice way to draw on my computer, or else you'll all just have to suffer whatever I was going for with the above.

Watch out for explosive iguanas,
    --Vurrunna

Captain Karo, Jimlad 42 and Rgbunpro like this.