1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

News time!

Bad news: My computer was not for this world--it has perished, and with it brought to the void all my files concerning the fox man.

Good news: I have a new computer, with fancy high-end modern graphics cards and a screen I can draw on. Much fun!

Bad news: Learning to draw on the surface is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Good news: Sooo since I needed practice, I drew the fox-man himself.

Laurence in Crayon.png

Nothing major or contributing to the plot, mind you, but a little doodle to break in my drawing hand and help me figure out the medium. I find that using a crayon-like brush makes things easier--it's harder to notice the many little uneven marks I'd be making otherwise.

But alrighty then--I have about a dozen assignments that needed to be finished weeks ago and I haven't even started on (I have learned that I do not like homework, not in the slightest), so it'll be a bit before I post here again (assuming I'm being responsible, which is honestly unlikely regardless). I ought to return to making comics like this anyway, they help me cope with the many frustrations of human life (I like writing stories where people make sense to me and don't wait over a year to tell you they don't have feelings for you and treat you like you don't exist the moment you stop being convenient).

But anyways, that's enough of me getting overly personal. I hope you all have a wonderful time of it, and I'll see you on the flip side.

God bless you all,
    --Vurrunna

2. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welcome to the surface, comic man in comic sans.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Madeliene Madness

Madeliene Madness Space Spelunker

How many Bonks and Bonkzonks could a Bonkzonk bonk if a Bonkzonk could bonk Bonkzonks and Bonks?

Taphy and Jimlad 42 like this.
  4. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Wow it's been awhile, Sorry to hear about your computer, but congrats on the tablet!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Vurrunna

So I don't have the next post ready, but I wanted to confirm that I'm working on it, so here's a quick preview!
    KeepGoing001aNew.jpg

It's really weird getting used to a 4K monitor, 'cause now it's really hard to tell what's a respectable size (like, usually I just draw something as 1600x900 then shrink to 800x450, but now I've been fiddling with something like 5x7in at 300ppi which leads to a really honking big resolution that starts looking really weird and pixely if I shrink it too much and honestly I never expected to have such a nice problem in my life).

Text is missing because I haven't redownloaded my old typefaces and my handwriting is crap obviously I don't want to spoil it for you all! Look how thoughtful I am.

Also, the line work is a bit janky here, but my stylus doesn't like pressure sensitivity (which is stupid), so I'm trying out a universal thickness technique I discovered while dinking about on a graphic design piece I made about a time traveler going to medieval England for the sole purpose of finding sentient potato people (it was marvelous).

Anyhoot, back to the grind with me. I'm gonna try to find some nice way to draw on my computer, or else you'll all just have to suffer whatever I was going for with the above.

Watch out for explosive iguanas,
    --Vurrunna

6. Vurrunna

Dear Lord, I never expected this to feel so relatable. Heckin' dang, man.

Progress continues on the next post--I've got the linework done on the first three (of four) panels, and most coloring finished on the first two (the one above needs shading, and I forgot Jierik's computer--what I get for showing sneak peaks).

I'm expecting this vein to go on for a few more posts before I call it good, and we'll see where it goes from there. I'm debating at present whether I should give Laurence a rest or give it all another shot, this time posting on a wider range of platforms. I certainly don't want to let Laurence get this quiet again--I love the lore that's arisen around Laurence, entirely reliant on the community here, and as much as I'd love to keep going with him, I don't think he could work with a wider audience (there's so much that I'd want to reference that nobody would ever understand if I did--I already make a stupid number of in-references I'm sure no one understands).

Ugh, listen to me--I think I'm becoming far too much of an adult (far too serious and not near silly enough). Suffice it to say I'm working diligently on the next post, and will see you all again shortly.

May all your ventures fair amicably,
    --Vurrunna

Rgbunpro and Jimlad 42 like this.
  7. Vurrunna

KeepGoing001aNew.png
    KeepGoing002b - Copy.png
    KeepGoing002c.png
    KeepGoing002d.png
    Oh, Jierik, you and your subjugating of the populace.

I was about to comment how this took me ages to finish, but compared with my usual posting rate I'd say I got this one out in pretty good time.

In unrelated news, I've also started back up with an old comic of mind, which can be found here. It's not terribly good, but I hope to make it better as time goes on. Also it's easier to write for than Laurence is, so it's more likely to get frequent updates.

Dance on my lovelies,
    --Vurrunna

8. Vurrunna

Goodness gracious, I've forgotten to respond to people!

A pleasure to be back, dandy man with grandiose plans!

That's it. Laurence is gonna answer some more questions by the end of this. He needs to read this, by goodness, he simply must.

It has been a while, made even longer by my forgetting to respond! As I understand it there forums aren't anything like they were in their prime, but it still has the old homey feeling I can never get away from. If the community's a little dwindled, that just means all the best people are left.

But anywho, it's been fun getting used to the new computer. I've finally switched over from Krita to Photoshop (I think it has better performance when I use the touchscreen than Krita does), and found some nice brushes that actually work well to draw with and don't look like utter crud.

In other news, the next update is already under way--I've got the first panel and a half finished, and they already look much better than the previous post. See, I was having trouble figuring out how to show the scene I had in mind, when I hit the epiphany of just not doing the next scene like that at all and doing something different entirely. Marvelous!

Back in a jif,
    --Vurrunna

9. Vurrunna

KeepGoing003a.png
    KeepGoing003b.png
    KeepGoing003c.png
    KeepGoing003d.png
    Looks like someone's tired of getting pushed around. Literally.

I'm really pleased with the composition of these. I still haven't done really anything for shading, but I'm happy with it as it is. I actually had these finished yesterday, but decided to save them for a bit, 'cause I can't have people thinking I'm posting frequently again, now can I?

Really though, I'm really happy to be getting so much drawn recently, even if I'm mildly concerned the story might be getting more than a bit incoherent. Either way,

Tally ho and sally forth!
    --Vurrunna

10. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

pretty awesome content! hope ur still taking questions bc i hav 1 that may take a bit

Laurence, Laura, Ed, and Jierik, if you could pick 1 person to punch without repercussion, who would you choose?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

Wow, I'm surprised Laurence hasn't imploded into some caffeine fueled supernova by now. Guess I arrived just on time for the lesser powered Ed-plosion.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. Vurrunna

Oh don't worry--I have gone on record multiple times to say this comic doesn't die until I do.

Also, I'll be sure to add that to the list of questions Laurence needs to answer once he gets over this silly existential crisis of his.

Oh he's tried. Boy has he tried. Meanwhile, Ed's been penting up his emotion like a responsible extra-dimensional being for millenia now, having to deal first with Jierik and then with Laurence. Lemme tell ya, when you push an ancient being of unfathomable power to the breaking point, you know you done goofed.

Also good to see you're still kicking! Always happy to see an old face around the forums (to many plastic-surgery addicts, such a shame).

Also-also, the next installment is in the works! I drew up the panels on sticky notes at work while me PC was rebooting (accidentally hit the Update button). Now all I need to do is get it all drawn out.

I swear, if I don't have this posted by next Saturday, someone hunt me down and give me a stern talking to.

May your days be beset by comforting things,
    --Vurrunna

13. Vurrunna

Updatifications!

First off, the next strip is almost finished. Huzzah! I've finished all the linework except for the last panel (and a couple of backgrounds), and then it's just a matter of bucket-filling color and applying some rough shading.

In the meantime, though, Laurence has featured in another drawing of mine:
    Fiverr Promo Smol.png
    It's the banner for my commissions page! If any of you fine people were mad enough to pay me to draw your characters, I happily accept commissions at the affluent rate of $5.

The sky's the limit for what I'll draw! Want your OC? A character from Ask Laurence marrying your OC? Just some schmuck in a chicken suit? Marrying your OC? I will draw it for you!

*Ahem.* Tongue-in-cheek self promotion aside, the next page should probably be done sometime tomorrow, so expect it Thursday.

We accept tips on the way out,
    --Vurrunna

14. Vurrunna

KeepGoing004.png
    There's gonna be dancing, guys. A whole boatload of it. You don't even know.

First of all, I always love drawing the art room--this time around, there's only a couple of small references, and the rest are either nonsense or abstract (i.e. nonsense). I want the sandwich eating guy on my wall.

Second, the Tallan kids are also always fun to draw. I kinda like this trend I've built of them being highly active in engaging in hobbies and interests and general what-have-you, but of us only ever seeing snippets of it (like an organized painting session, extortionate bake sale, and attempted murder).

Thirdly: Remember when I said "It should be done tomorrow, so expect it Thursday?" Well, today's a Thursday so technically I didn't lie for once.

Okay so first off the references: The upper left is an embarrassing photo of Laurence that was used to tease Laura early on in her arrival; in the bottom left is yours truly (I'm vain like that); Amelia is self apparent, as is Jeffery the Cookie and a coffee bean for Laurence; the rest are just generic nonsense, though I am semi-proud of the gesture-figure right behind Laura. Using my college education for once, who'd'a thunk it.

First time in a while I've broken the traditional "stream of independent images" format for Laurence. Technically I've done it a few times before: the very first sketch for Laurence was a comic page (he had whiskers and it was freaking weird); then there was an experimental post with a really lame joke about a book I read in High School; and a couple of sketches about an attempted story where Laurence was floating in space after the Box exploded (actually that one was really interesting, I might have to finish that sometime). It's a heck of a lot easier to do--now I just need to clean it up so the boxes are the same size as before (change is new and therefore bad).

At first, I also tried making all the characters with new colors, but honestly I've developed such a particular pallette of garishly vibrant colors that it just looked wrong without using the same arbitrarily chosen colors I've been using for--*checks posts*--four years?!

Also, apparently Laurence turned Four a couple weeks ago. That's four years of horrible drawings, stupid jokes, and the most lovely internet community I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of. My condolences to you all.

Lastly, one of the things that kept me from finishing this was an art project my brother commissioned me for (which you can do too! I work dirt cheap! Someone help me!). It turned out rather nicely, I think:

Noah - SeaOfThieves Rainy Show Off.png

It's his and his girlfriend's characters in Sea of Thieves, enjoying a typical day in the jolly old game. Note: I have no experience in the jolly old game. Still, a blast to draw, though admittedly I regret only charging $15 for the dang thing after all the time it took to finish (I always work way too hard on these commissions--again, send help).

Anywho, back to the grind with me; all y'all have a good'un.
    --Vurrunna

15. Nexus Of Chaos

hey... is this still going? yea ik ur prob gonna say yes, but is it gonna get an update anytime soon? this is pretty good and i wanna see more

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. Vurrunna

I'M SORRY..png
    Short version: It'll happen when it happens, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Long version: I really want to finish the last few bits I had planned for Ask Laurence, but these days motivation is a fickle beast. At present, I have several other ongoing commitments (including a big commission I've been putting off way too long) that take priority, and drawing comics has kind of fallen to the wayside.

Though again, I really want to get this finished. Like I've mentioned before, Laurence is a very special project for me--even if I've started spending less and less time thinking about him, he still deserves an honorable sendoff (on top of a potential hope of a rebirth).

I'm gonna go ahead and get back on track with finishing this ding-dang comic. I make no promises as to its quality, either in terms of art or storytelling, but darned if I don't get it done!

To infinity and beyond,
    -- Vurrunna

17. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

"I'm just very lazy."

That's really me. Why I am cursed which such thing?

Vurrunna and Jimlad 42 like this.
  18. Vurrunna

As proof that I am indeed working on the next update and not just goofing off, here's a sneak-peak:

EndingShots Revised 001 Sneak Peak.png

Laurence has really bad dancing form.

As proof that part of the reason I've been busy is I'm working on a commission, here are some early-stage sketches from said commission (the eventual product will be freely available, and I'll link to where it can be found):

Battle Brothers - Commission - Draft 5.png

Orcs - Commission - Proof 3.png

Battle Brothers and Orc Marauders from the one-page ruleset Grimdark Future. Funny story: I got this job because I was posting my own fan-made paper minis to the game's forums, and the game's creator contacted me with an offer to make an official set of troops for a starter-set he had in mind. The game's rules (and eventually these paper minis, once they're totally finished) are available for free over at https://onepagerules.com. If you're into wargaming and want to try a free, light-weight ruleset that puts speed and fun over fiddly details, check it out!

Alright, that's my brief little update. I shall let you all know once I emerge from the ether long enough to get Laurence's stupid face drawn up in the last couple panels.

Au revoix,
    -- Vurrunna

Personally, I blame the anime.

There... There's just so much of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2020
    Daikon Ocelot and Jimlad 42 like this.
  19. Vurrunna

EndingShots Revised 001.png
    There's nothing quite like weaponized dance. Though, uh, usually the goal is to hurt the other couples on the dance floor, Laurence, not your own.

Feels good to draw this goober again. Kinda concerning that my hiatuses these days are long enough for my art style to visibly shift; I just hope it's shifting in a good direction.

I should also note that Laurence has terrible dancing form. It was actively difficult to try and contort his body in all the wrong ways without my instincts going "Oh hey, his back should be straight here" and accidentally fixing it. Pro tip: Don't watch your feet when you dance. Completely ruins your form, and makes everything a lot harder. Just follow through with your steps, and if your partner gets in the way, try to kick hard enough to draw blood. Pro tip.

Alright, I have a bunch of Orcs to shade in for that commission, then a bunch more anime to watch (started Gundam recently, and boy do they have a backlog). I'll try and get back to these two dorks in good order; then we can figure out what Ed's up to!

Felicitations,
    -- Vurrunna

20. Nexus Of Chaos

great as usual! keep making more and we'll get this list of questions done in no time

speaking of, i don't hav the time or patience to look back for my question to the group. could some1 remind me?

Vurrunna and Jimlad 42 like this.