1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't wait to know my lemon pie questions answer.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

What apotropaic qualities and arcanokinetic resistance does the box possess?

Rgbunpro, Taphy and Jimlad 42 like this.
  3. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

What class would you play as in a D&D game?

Vurrunna and ZAYABUCKET like this.
  4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Proto-Laurence 8a.png
    Proto-Laurence 8b.png
    Amelia is Laurence's only friend, really. Probably because she gave him a bag of coffee once. Well, less gave it to him, more had it in his general vicinity and he injected it straight into his blood stream when she wasn't looking. You know. Basic friend material.

Sheesh, it took way too long for me to get around to drawing this up. Apologies for the delay--school's just had me crammed these last couple weeks. On the bright side, though, I've only got a week left, then I'm home free all summer until I start the process of figuring out what this student loans debt I've heard of is all about. Much fun times ahead!

With the present number of questions that have been presented to Laurence, and seeing as I've yet to let him trundle off on some brash nonsense like turning into a lizard, I think it's safe enough at this point to open up the question box to all members of the cast. If anyone wants to ask anything of any other characters I've introduced, feel free to ask. The only hitch is that I'm going to try and focus more on Laurence than the other characters, and the other characters will generally have shorter answers than I want to try and have Laurence give (most of them will only have a single panel, maybe two). Still, don't let that hold you back--there's no limit to how many questions you get, so ask away!

On that note, seeing as I have seven questions queued at the moment (including one on Tapastic) I might start answering questions in a non-linear progression, just to make sure I can level out Laurence's responses evenly (some questions are easy to make jokes out of, but for those that I can't make as good of humor from I generally decide not to risk it and stick to a semi-genuine answer--the problem is that a consistently genuine Laurence is boring, while a consistently irritated i.e. funny Laurence is just too animated for too long without beating someone up). If I do shift up order, I'll still make sure to answer everybody's questions, so don't worry--again, I appreciate every question very much, the only issue is working out how to construct Laurence's responses.

I'll be getting right on top of that!

Merry days, my friends,
    --Vurrunna

6. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Ah the old student debt, that debt that looms over you and...never really does anything about trying to get collected.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  7. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 9a.png
    Proto-Laurence 9b.png
    Proto-Laurence 9c.png
    Proto-Laurence 9d.png
    Laurence has some issues.

Whoof, it took way too long for me to get around to answering this one. But the good news is that I'm officially graduated, giving me all the time in the world to draw the fox-man. Woot!

I ought to mention that I'm gonna try mixing up my style again. For this one, I tried just not detailing the background to make the process easier to draw. This helped by saving a ton of time, but doesn't look too good. Then again, it doesn't look much better with the scribble shading I was using already, so I'm gonna have to figure something out. I'm also considering changing how I draw eyes--right now, it's a hot-or-miss flick of the wrist to make my eyes, which involves too many ctrl-z's for my liking. The transition to new eyes is gonna be a bit tricky, but I'll make sure not to post anything that looks too weird/out of style.

With that I wish you all well,
    --Vurrunna

8. Taphy

Taphy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I enjoy seeing Ed in pai- I mean what? Anyway now for a question that I hope doesn't make you scream/explode/shove pie in eds face although that is entertaining/lose will to live/or anything else drastic. What was the first conversation you ever had with Ed? Also as a consolation have this: *sends a "Captain Dandy Tea Time Kit." Inside the kit contains 4 porcelain cups, a tea kettle, a bag of English Breakfast Tea, crumpets, water, and a strange bag of powder called "water heater, pour in water and water heats up." It also contains instructions on how to make tea*

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Jimlad 42 likes this.
  9. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

What does Laurence do in his free time? Does he have any hobbies?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  10. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Amalia, tell me something in french.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 10a.png
    Proto-Laurence 10b.png
    Laurence has learned to accomplish things with spoons Ed had never imagined in his wildest nightmares, nor, more accurately, in his most terrifying of nightmares. Speaking of which, having gotten his monthly dose of violence, Laurence is a bit less fatigued today.

The background here is what I plan to use for future posts, and I think I've decided to just leave Laurence's eyes as they are--while they're a bit tricky to get right, they're no harder that any other method is with my present drawing style.

Tally-ho,
    --Vurrunna

12. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I'm not sure I wanna know what Laurence is capable of with a spoon.

Lodish and Jimlad 42 like this.
  13. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 11a.png
    Proto-Laurence 11b.png
    Proto-Laurence 11c.png
    Proto-Laurence 11d.png
    Proto-Laurence 0 Base.png
    Proto-Laurence 11e.png
    Fell for the oldest trick in the book.

Here we see Ed in the flesh once more--I gotta admit, while I still hate drawing that crazy mask of his (it makes less physical sense than Laurence's hair, which is a mean feat), he still looks pretty snazzy.

Salutations,
    --Vurrunna

14. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 12a.png
    Proto-Laurence 12b.png
    Proto-Laurence 12c.png

Proto-Laurence 12d.png
    Proto-Laurence 12e.png
    Laurence would have started Rogue, then probably prestiged in Coffee Warrior and took more levels in Improvised Weapons than is physically possible. Eight-hundred-thirty-some years trapped in a giant interdimensional box gives plenty of opportunity to level up a lot.

I actually had an idea for the characters of Ask Laurence involving roleplaying games a while back--I didn't use it here, but rest assured that we'll be returning to the wondrous world of pretending to be someone you're not because they can fight goblins and ride dragons.

My favorite panel is of Laurence's room. I actually referenced from way back when I originally drew his room to get the furniture right, and added in his secret coffee machine totally normal book that happens to be dragon sized.

Have a good one,
    --Vurrunna

15. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What IS Laurence? I'm thinking either Fenerox or Felin.

Biirdy Daysleeper and Jimlad 42 like this.
  16. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Who would win between an orange chameleon and a green centaur-lizard ? And what if a red humanoïd alien with tentacle arms and an old breathing device join the fight ? (Sorry I can hardly find better question :3)

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  17. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Hmm, now I wonder what class Ed would be?
    (I would assume he would have to be an alchemist of sorts of he intends to catch Laurence using coffee. Poison's a great way to catch a rogue.)

What is up with all these questions that make no sense?! Ask normal questions, like what his favorite coffee is! Or what his internet access is like! Or what his favorite book is!
    Anyway, my question is simple. What's Laurances favorite game?

18. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

B-But, I just want to know who's the best between Derrick, Tesla, and a nonsential alien ! é3è
    Voiditect already ask what I was about to ask anyway. ^^'

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  19. Vurrunna

Proto-Laurence 13a.png
    Proto-Laurence 13b.png
    Proto-Laurence 13c.png
    Proto-Laurence 13d.png
    Ain't no box gonna hold that fox in, no sir, he's got big plans, gonna rule every last sector, all them planets gonna bow, payin' that coffee tax.

Sheesh, it took a while to make this one, and mostly 'cause I'm gettin' lazy. I need to get back to artsing for y'all, even if y'all only constitutes a handful of people and artsing only constitutes semi-passable drawings in comic fashion. But enough of that, these jokes won't write themselves.

Happy Two-Day-Early Martin Luther King Jr. Day,
    --Vurrunna

20. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright. Laurence, how do you have friends if you're trapped in a box? Does he leave it sometimes?

Jimlad 42 likes this.