1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

As I've played, I've come to wonder: Is Big Ape REALLY watching?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Relinies, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

I've been playing with friends the past few days (who hasn't, right?), and over that time I've seen several mentions of the Big Ape in other societies.
    Humans are prisoners. They have their "There is no need to be upset" poster featuring the Big Ape. Avians and Glitch comment on this fact (haven't tried others), pointing out (though not word for word) how odd it is that Humans have Big Ape in their society.
    On the other hand, if you have a Glitch look at the storage inside your ship, he will "state the obvious:" Apex storage system.
    So, my thought: Do the Apex have their hands in events and the development of species far before we thought?
    The species that guided the Avians to becoming intelligent. Was THAT the Apex?
    The species that created the Glitch in the attempt to emulate life. Was THAT the Apex?
    The species holding the Humans prisoner. Is that the Apex?
    These are just wild thoughts. But it can't possibly a coincidence that Apex technology is all over the place.
    Which reminds me- coincidentally, I've seen more Apex labs and villages than any other.

My friend Rakuida took some pictures of these things I mentioned; we're still collecting pictures, as we didn't think to take them until just a bit ago.
    I'll add those in a link in a bit.

PS: As I was making this post, the Forums began experiencing a 502 error. Do the Apex know of this find?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Geomexis

Geomexis Big Damn Hero

That'd certainly explain why the Apex have a strong early game lead compared to the rest of the races when it comes to cooking. Big Ape is turning the scales in favor of the Apex!

DynoMaple likes this.
  3. Relinies

New development: We found a Human outpost, and the Human reaction to the death star hologram is that he KNEW the government was spying on them.
    But the Humans are prisoners... Why would they even have a government?
    But... Their architecture is VERY similar to that of the Apex...
    I dunno guys. Maybe Starbound is trying to send us a message.
    All mentioned instances we've captured so far: http://imgur.com/a/0BQu8
    Hylotl message: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201929319

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Rakuida

Rakuida Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I was commenting on the terminal next to the death star hologram

5. ToTeMVG

ToTeMVG King Homestuck II

but what if, the Big Ape is just a figure, what if he isn't even Apex, What if the Humans are the ones behind it all, in control?

WoxandWarf, PlayMp1, Serenity and 3 others like this.
  6. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

According to the lore, when Earth was first destroyed, the Apex tried to help the Humans survive and fight the "The Beast." Other than that, I don't really know. You may be on to something.

Heartstrings and Axe Garian like this.
  7. Ryowyn

Ryowyn Space Spelunker

Don't forget the graffity seen in prisons and sometimes guarded by zealots in ruins... "THEY SAID THEY WOULD COME BACK".

8. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

or even the quote written in blood "GET OUT"

9. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

Something tells me "the beast" might be the final boss

ItalKid, WoxandWarf, Shiokuri and 3 others like this.
  10. LordVarius

LordVarius Big Damn Hero

or what about that the species holding humans prisoners are penguins.

Insane, Shiokuri and Skarn like this.
  11. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

Conspiracy already in the starbound forums!
    i love it!
    The big ape could be like Herobrine was to minecraft?

mewfan151, blueokapi12 and Axe Garian like this.
  12. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

From all I know Apex are a staple 1984 nation, just in space. I mean, look at this - monitors that watch you, bad living conditions and long work hours, oppression and elimination of those who disagree, personality cult of Big B-- Ape and brainwash. Heck, Miniknog even have large, pyramid-shaped bases!
    Honestly, I see no reason why would they oppress their own people yet keep other races so unrestrained, it is more likely they had some influence, but no massive control.

Also, people, I recommend keeping the simplest explanations as most likely ones. We all know Florans scavenged Apex ships instead of building their own. They're good at reverse-en engineering, but not designing the whole thing from scratch. Posters could just have a monkey mascot used by humans that coincidentally resembles Apex. You know, stuff like that...

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Relinies

"The beast," if I remember correctly, was a massive explosion of tentacles. I don't have a citation for this, however.
    HEY, I FOUND IT!

plsno :cry:

http://playstarbound.com/introducing-the-glitch/
    "An unknown race of enormous intelligence"
    http://playstarbound.com/introducing-the-avians/
    "when a superior race took pity"
    Hmm...
    I can't find the other lores. And the Hylotl one simply doesn't exist, except for in-game.

14. Silverduke1

Those are the tentacles of the beast.... :p

15. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

If I recall correctly, I'm fairly sure that the Florans got their ships from the Avians, according to the Avian lore: http://playstarbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/avianlore_pdf.pdf (Under "Second Contact (E4R23)" pg. 6/7)
    "Catastrophe strikes without notice or warning: a gas leak in a reserve ship re-supplying the Avian research vessel causes a huge explosion, instantly killing the crew and disabling the ship's autopilot. The supply ship burns through FL1-4's [Floran Homeworld] atmosphere and crashes on the surface - the secrets of space travel are suddenly laid bare for the Floran civilization to unearth (litterally)." (this leads to conflict betwixt the Florans and Avians)

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Silverduke1

and this is how a race that wasnt ready for space travel got space travel

17. Relinies

Pretty sure the characters specifically said it was Big Ape...
    Unfortunately, I lost my main character in a crash and can't get at him and his poster.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

The "There is no need to be upset" is a blatant reference to the meme of the same name with the picture of the ape being the "Rustled Jimmies" gorilla. This one poster had nothing to do with Big Ape.

19. Exxion

Exxion King Homestuck V

Examine it with a Glitch. It says it is Big Ape.

blueokapi12, Axe Garian and Relinies like this.
  20. Relinies

[​IMG]