1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Art Arena!!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by LovelyHibiscus, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Captain: "Prepare to evacuate! We got sandwich in our reactor!"

Vurrunna likes this.
  2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

It would be funny if the meat in his sandwich is the ruin thingie that will destroy the protectorate...
    Jut like in the latest game Carrion where we play as this cute thing that turns into a hooman in the end (spoiled the ending bleh)

Vurrunna likes this.
  3. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

So... now what? How do we determine a winner? Is there even a grading scale?

4. Daikon Ocelot

I believe only @LovelyHibiscus can decide.

5. Apathy Applied

Not sure when they'll be back, so I'd say Vurrunna's wins due to me rushing it on the very last day.

6. Catherine Franz

I am just here to admire everything art-related

7. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Hm... Deciding the winner had occurred to me when we started. Back in the Glory Days, when the forum's original Art Duel thread was still kickin', both contestants would send their art to a third party (like the thread's OP), who would them post both pieces anonymously. Then folks would vote on whichever one they thought won the challenge. In this case, the OP seems to have drifted on, but we can still have a vote.

From what I can tell, it seems @Moor Al-Malik, @Catherine Franz, and @MitKit are the only folks beyond Apathy and myself hanging around here (going off of posting and likes on the artworks), so if y'all would want to make a vote, we'd be much obliged. For voting standards, the courteous way is to give a bit of friendly critique/observation in the form of something you liked, followed by something you think could be improved, about both pieces, and then say which one you either prefer or think better fits the contest. (It's also considered impolite to say stuff like "Your piece sucks," but I don't imagine that'd happen 'round here.)

Also, @Apathy Applied, I started on the second half of my piece like an hour after you posted yours, so I'm not sure I could really claim a victory on timeliness :rofl:

Apathy Applied and MitKit like this.
  8. MitKit

MitKit Phantasmal Quasar

haha vote go brrrrr

Okay, seriously though, I think both artworks are pretty good, and get the humor down real nicely. @Apathy Applied you did a great job taking the prompt in a direction I would have never thought to go, with the magical theme. To me it looks as if the monster is annoyed, while the summoner and cat don't seem too bothered. I think this just makes the whole piece funnier because it's probably a common occurrence. The only thing I could really say would improve the art is to have someone turning around just to notice a giant monster in the room, or something similar to add a little more feeling of panic.

As for your art, @Vurrunna, I really like how you made the engineers look, and the facial expressions perfectly describe the situation. I think the monochrome color scheme works very well with the setting too, and I love the mechanical detail in the background and foreground. The only slight complaint you'll get from me, though, is that it's not too clear what the actual disaster is at first. It looks a bit like the machine is drawing power from a floating object, but I guess that's just a sandwich lol.

Anyways, I'm gonna vote for Vurrunna since I'm kind of biased towards sci-fi themes, and I like more angular, sharp designs.
    Hopefully I did this right...

Apathy Applied and Vurrunna like this.
  9. Daikon Ocelot

I am absolutely terrible at things like this, giving a score to artwork (cause I usually do that on math and science, not art). But yeah, I'll give a try, since I am one of the few people who hang out here often.

So yeah, first, @Apathy Applied. I like the magic-looking atmosphere there. The lighting you did on the demon frog looks great! The place looks cluttered with magic stuffs and the small characters there are doing their things, just like a piece of illustration. Real nice! And then, as for what can be improved, I think giving the object an outline would look great, and also giving more detail and shading on the environment, character, and object would also help improve it.

And now, for @Vurrunna, I like the cartoon-like environment you did there. The shading on the reactor looks nice, and the different color of dark and light of the environment looks great to describe the different distance of each object. The character looks simple, but expressive. Very good! Then for what can be improved, I think the object around could use more shading (like what you did with the reactor), and the siren light could use a light effect to show that the situation is in emergency.

So, for the vote... man, this is the hardest part. Both art looks great in their own way, so it's kinda unfair if I vote base on my taste. So let me just put it this way... I vote for both (if that's not possible, I'll just go abstain). Anyway, it is good to get involved in things like this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Apathy Applied, Vurrunna and MitKit like this.
  10. Apathy Applied

Since on one else has voted (and there's no one here to move things forward), I'd say Vurrunna is this match's winner!

11. Catherine Franz

Guess we finally have a winner

12. Daikon Ocelot

Well, there is only two people in the vote. MitKit and me...

Hmm, actually make it one, because my vote doesn't give any differences.

So... it's decided, I guess.