1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any meteor resistant building materials?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Patrucius, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Patrucius

Patrucius Aquatic Astronaut

So my friend and I just bought Starbound yesterday, we had spent about an hour setting up a server, and we were about 30 minutes in to our first ever game when suddenly a giant meteor appears on the screen and slams into the house. The next thing we know, our house is gone and I no longer have the pixels to upgrade my stone pickaxe into a copper one (which is what I was in the process of doing before our house was demolished.)

What I want to know is, are there any building materials that are more resistant to meteor showers than dirt? Preferably a material that is completely invulnerable to meteors, because right now we're scared to build our houses out of anything but dirt in case another meteor comes down and not only destroys all our hard work, but takes some of our blocks with it too.

2. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

Build underground?

3. Patrucius

Would that even work? How far down would I have to build, because the meteor not only wiped out our house, but also an absolutely massive area under the house.

4. DeltaV

DeltaV Pangalactic Porcupine

The first way of making a meteor-resistant home would be to get one coal and get the heck off of that planet.

If you're adamant about staying on it, the various metal blocks (Iron, steel, light metal, etc) can take one hit from a medium-sized meteor, but if they get hit by two they're done.

Patrucius likes this.
  5. Atlaworks

Atlaworks Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's nothing that's meteor immune, but harder blocks have more resistance. Iron, steel, titanium, etc, can take a hit before breaking, and I imagine obsidian/blaststone/magmarock is tougher. Explosions do penetrate though, be aware.

Your safest bet however, is to build on a different planet.

Patrucius likes this.
  6. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

a 4 block thick coat of light metal, pressurized steel or any other hard to break material will do it.

7. Patrucius

So only some planets have meteor showers? Also thank you for the wonderfully useful information. There's actually a very large penal colony on my planet, so building a house out of light metal sounds doable. Although if I can find another planet without meteors I'll probably just build there.

8. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Usually planets only have one type of weather, so if you see rain (normal, acid, or glowing) on your planet it's typically a safe bet to build.

9. Atlaworks

Atlaworks Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes, some planets, but not all, have meteors. Generally, every planet has one "weather" type, like rain, acid rain, meteor showers or starshowers.

10. semetsu

semetsu Void-Bound Voyager

Hopefully they will in the future add a repulsion field generator for homes,etc. Would repel monsters , birds, meteors and acid rain. would be a very nice Final Tier addition.

Faeryheart and Patrucius like this.
  11. Patrucius

That would be a wonderful late game addition, yes.

12. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Wuhu first self quote:

Patrucius likes this.
  13. Patrucius

Ah, so meteorite is blast resistant too? Good, then I have a use for all of that cra stuff that the meteor left behind, thanks.

14. Gunwild

Gunwild Space Spelunker

A little bit too late (7 years), but I putted 3 layers of roof made out of outpost concrete though 200 tiles to both sites of my base, left and right, and that was enough to stop meteorite damage.