1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Are the Memory / Cpu Leaks going to be fixed soon?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Bacon, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know the devs are overloaded right now with important stuff.

But i think multiplayer is one big part of the game, and as server owners, specially the ones using dedicated servers are ending up into huge issues with Memory Leaks and CPU Leaks with the server software. I'm fine with all the features missing but...

Major Leaks should be fixed, on a dedicated server i can't simply stop sleeping for restart the server every 2 hours or so when it starts using up to 22GB RAM and the CPU at 800% (i7 with 8 cores).

So for the minimum stability sake, give servers a bit love.

Autzome likes this.
  2. colonel savage

colonel savage Void-Bound Voyager

I'm glad you posted this - I thought I was going insane. Every time I check on our server, the RAM usage keeps going higher. It tripled in just over a day. I'm trying to set up an automatic restart for it every 24 hours; hopefully this issue gets noticed and addressed in a timely fashion.

3. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Been floating around copy/pasting this, hoping it'll get seen easier in the megastorm of posts :> I've been suffering lag in singleplayer, but its not constant.. Some planets I can walk all over/mine down into and never lag a drop, but other areas devastate my CPU (RAM never goes over 2.5gb out of 4).. So this last time I hit this lag I started monitoring system usage, and here's what I got..

I examined my Task Manager performance readout when lag hit me just now after spending 5 totally, mind-blowingly lag free minutes on the surface of a new planet, on a new character, after the most recent update.. (All the numbers come from the Memory (Private Working Set) area. Upon hitting the lag I check and its right around 294,880k, giving around 10 or so fps.. Returning to the ship dropped this quickly to 50,000k, then steadily crawled up to 74,000k after a couple minutes, still laggy.. I return to Starbound main screen (save/quit), and it jumps from 74,000 laggy to 151,000, lag-free (main screen is ALWAYS crystal-clear lag free).. So now I reload the game, back to the ship that was lag free before the initial spike and the ship is running at 300-327,000, still laggy and fluxing even after a reload (where it was at 74,000 and laggy previously).. So I save and quit, returning to main screen and now main screen, lag-free, is running at 250,000k versus the previous 150,000k.. During save/quit transition to main Starbound screen it spikes to 840,000k, and remains there, lag-free.. Reloading my save again (during loading) bumps this up to 1,100,000, and once I reach ship I head immediately for surface, which is now running at 1,058,880, terrible lag still there (same level of lag as when this lag started, except up over a million, versus the 300,000 start lag..

Evidence of memory leak? :O

4. William Wolfe

William Wolfe Void-Bound Voyager

I just want to bump this... It's difficult to run a server with memory leaks :/ It's tedious when you need to restart the server every couple hours.

5. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Memory leaks are an Optimization issue, and will appear and disappear as code is written.

Application development here ignores leaks until we've finalised the code we send to customers, as a single change to some other part of code can undo weeks of leak tracking and fixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.