1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Fandom expectations too high?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zellman, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, yea, some expectations are rather high. I assure you though, the cursor is going to be awesome, you're going to stare at it with me for 20 hours

Demolisher likes this.
  2. Tardisphere

Tardisphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What if a genuine, electrifying Brit does a LP? :p

Anyway, in some cases, there does seem to be a high expectation of Starbound, but not in the same league as Fable 2 (so much hype, and it didn't really deliver it.) I think it'll still be really enjoyable, even if it doesn't live up to it's expectations.

3. Nate the Great

Nate the Great Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm certain we won't be completely dissapointed. All of the insight we've been getting from the devs helps us get a more realistic point of view.

Also, I've heard coloured text is cool.

4. DerJonason

DerJonason Big Damn Hero

I was never hyped for Terraria. I never even knew about the game. Just one night i was sitting in front of my computer and refreshed steam. And then flop, there it was sitting in the shop list at the top position as it was just released. I decided to risk a look, saw the screenshots, read the description and it was like suddenly someone switched the lights on in my belly. I knew this was the game i was going to buy in the next 5 minutes. And i had hundreds of wonderful hours playing together with my friends.

Its almost the same with Starbound. I saw the screenshots, watched the videos, read the description. And I absolutely know this game is the next step i will take. It feels like theres a sun in my belly this time, and its flares are coming out of my... well no need to explain that. The only sad thing is, that this time i didn't just discover it on release and i'm not able to play right away. I'm so very impatient... the bellysun is burning my b off.

5. Moose

Moose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One thing I feel is important to remember is that Hype is what gets Starbound's name out there. They may not have the big budget for TV ads or billboards. they rely on social media and word of mouth to spread the word. People who don't know about the game gauge our excitement levels as a sign of whether or not to take a chance and check it out.

I think if we're genuinely excited about Starbound we shouldn't worry to much about accidentally over hyping the game, since I'm pretty sure we wont be making lengthy live action trailers or getting large endorsements from mountain dew telling people how revolutionary and world changing the game will be. Steam has been a really great tool for indie games to get noticed but if it weren't for hype generated by fans to get their name out there, games like Terraria or Minecraft would not be as successful without the support of their players making fan content, spreading the word and just generally getting people excited over a game we're all looking forward to.

We are the game's core advertizing campaign. Let's stay pumped!

6. Omatsu

Omatsu Big Damn Hero

You've made a point. People are putting too much hope in SB, but I believe in the Dev team's skills to make this game an epic game

7. Stompopolos

Stompopolos Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

You heard correctly.

8. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

it makes the world more happy to write all silly

9. Lugubrious

Lugubrious Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hey bud, you didn't need to use "fandom" to have a logical sentence.
    (K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid)

10. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Nope, expectations are NOT too high, SB's gone be great. 'Nuff said.

11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

I think it's never wrong to fantasize, as long as it's kept in mind that what we fantasize was never ACTUALLY promised. No doubt people will floop their flabby freakin far-fetched fantasies in the dev's faces once starbound is released. So it's up us to not freak out! ^w^

I personally love thinking about how much potential this game has.

12. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

some of the fans may be a little bit crazy. how ever star bound is gonna be all that and a bag of chips awesome not because of the hype. But because alot of us are fans of tiys work on terraria and though starbound is run by a entierly different team tiy's work speaks for itself in the sense of he is devoted to quality and chances are the staff he hired on /got together for starbound share his commitment to quality

13. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

the difference is redigit was in charge of the terraria project and got to a point where he was like f**K it made a game learned what i wanted peace niggas got money in the process

Tiy left terraria for reasons only he knows but look at things as it is hes not only updating us he engages in the conversations hes passionate and his works tight dawg the only thing cooler than starbound is a chance to meet the crew behind it and do a lets play with them we can only wish to be so fortunate

14. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Not only awesome, but absolutely amazing! I shall stare at it for hours upon hours.

15. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

I don't remember Redigit being the racist stereotype for a black guy >.>
    But yes, I understand that they are two different people: But what I am ASKING is different then what you answered.
    I asked, 'Why wouldn't the same thing happen to Starbound?' and you responded with only a half-right answer, 'They're two different people'. I'm just saying that there doesn't appear to be any evidence that he will, nor is there evidence that he won't. Just saiyan. I ain't looking to start an arguement here.

16. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Actually Redigit felt that Terraria wasn't interesting to him anymore...
    And then something important happened in his life:
    His wife gave birth to a baby boy!
    So Redigit called it quits to spend time with him. :)

From the sounds of it Redigit also felt that Blue was taking the credit for his work (which was never intentional afaik).
    Also there was an insulting "review" made about Terraria at one point.
    From what I've gathered it sounds like people were bullying Blue due to some weird stuff he's done a long time ago (which I won't mention out of respect), he took offense and kind of freaked out.
    In turn Redigit kicked him out for the overreaction and Blue left the team silently.
    Blue was a mod here but apparently felt that these people were following him and he'd hurt others by staying.
    He's a very nice guy and I'm sad that he's so sensitive about it all...

So to sum it up:
    Redigit and Blue have drama, Blue is kicked out.
    Later on Redigit has a newborn son to worry about and he decides to call it quits on Terraria and work on new projects later on.
    ...and in fact he's been seen around Terraria forums, and is working on something right now! :)

Tiy was a Spriter for Terraria and afaik he was working on both Terraria and Starbound at the same time.
    Redigit says "losing my Spriter to a potential competitor" but Tiy himself says that he didn't leave by choice.
    I guess that means Tiy just left because Terraria was dying anyway?
    Or maybe Redigit just said "I'm quitting the project, sorry to say good bye."?

Whatever the case Tiy didn't really have much, if anything to do with what happened to Terraria, and so far I haven't heard anything bad about him at all.
    Also everybody seems to focus on him, but forget that there's a whole team of people working on Starbound.

I cannot say how long Starbound will live, but I'm guessing pretty long.
    The fact that it supports a server-side account system and modding means that even if the whole team quit there would still be a ton of unofficial stuff coming out.
    Kinda how Minecraft development could completely stop, bam! ...and people would still play it for years.
    Tekkit, anyone?!

In addition should Tiy get tired of working on Starbound an another member of the team might very well pick up the torch, much how Jeb now handles most of Minecraft afaik.

17. julian509

julian509 Void-Bound Voyager

fandom expectations are in some things pretty extreme. you cant expect starbound to break records. just expect a game you'll waste masses of time on.

18. KwickPhyre

KwickPhyre Industrial Terraformer

We wouldn't expect anything alse

19. I do not think the fandom expectations are too high. We have a lot of Faith in team chucklefish, as we should. You've seen the demos/screenshots and stuff. Starbound looks like it's coming along peachy! :DD

20. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

Great feedback guys, BTW I've edited the OP with the following.

I didn't expect this thread to regain popularity months later, so I want to mention that I have seen the community here mature and grow in some great ways. We have moved out of the random speculation stage of Forum Growth (due in large part to the communication of the devs) and I really enjoy the community. (and hype is fun)

So keep being awesome guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.