1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Fandom expectations too high?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zellman, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawgenstien

Dawgenstien Subatomic Cosmonaut

Starbound has so many features that have been proven to work in various other games. Like the gentleman a few post above me mentioned, Borderlands had a massive variety of guns, other games with large varieties of weapons include Diablo and torchlight. After I found out Starbound will also have an enormous variety of gear I got very excited, but it doesn't stop there. In Starbound we've been told there will be a near unlimited number of unique worlds, which we've seen done in terraria and minecraft, but Starboud goes a step further by adding (from what I understand) a huge variety of creatures.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but seeing how I still regularly play all of the games I mentioned earlier I highly doubt I'm going to be let down by Starbound.

Also, I realize this is a really old thread but I felt the need to voice my opinion :)

BoxcarRacer likes this.
  2. Tom Baker

Tom Baker Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Inb4 the game is Terraria but with a different grass texture.

3. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Bag of Holding

I don't think so, I base my opinions off what has been said, and if Tiy adds stuff, I get even more excited.
    The problem is that Tiy adds so much stuff that my excitement is very high.

4. Aniukha

Aniukha Void-Bound Voyager

This...

Already, Starbound is looking like it will be a lot better than Terraria and also have a lot more content. If this is true when it's released, I think they'll have achieved most of our expectations. I know I, at least, will be extremely happy. Everything else that's added is just a bonus. :DD

5. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

You make a good point. and I hope people don't get disappointed by shared flora and fauna between planets.

6. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

No way! You can think about how great all the additions to the game will be and then worry that they won't meet your hopes but you forget that there are tons of more additions we haven't even been told yet! There is a huge chuck of new gameplay info that will only be found out once you play the game. That huge chunk of game combined with the awesome facts we already know will make an unforgettable game, I guarantee it.

7. Bratmobile

Bratmobile Phantasmal Quasar

I totally agree, you wont know all the additions to the game until you hav actually played it. But thats part of the fun. Making your mark on the game is what makes it good or bad. If you go into it looking for problems then you will be dissapointed. Go into the game with an open mind and you are bound to have a good expirience

8. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

Yes. Fandom is to high

9. There is a little more to the Spore story than you say actually (Me, being one of the avid players who saw what it "could" have been). Spore didn't flop just because of the fandom. No, that was but a smaller factor in comparison. EAxis pretty much overhyped the game long before it was even released. They made bold claims saying the science faction of the game would be good enough to use in classes for teachers to use as examples. This Spore, was how it looked like when they made these claims:

See the huge difference? Had they kept to their word, well, who knows. But somewhere along the line the development team split into two "sides": The cartoon and science side. Basically, one side wanted Spore to be scientific; the other wanted a more cartoony feel to the game. In the end, the cartoon mixed with the science and that's the Spore we got now. As you can tell, that backfired hard on the ones who were told of the science capabilities Spore would be getting. What we all got was a semi-buggy, half-expectation of a game due to the developer's (And EAxis's) plan changer. Sure, they could've made amends and continued to support Spore like they did lovingly for the Sims. But, after the Galactic Adventures expansion came out a year later, nothing really came to Spore's aid. The community was given false hope which continued to decrease when they released a "spin-off" for Spore instead of a proper expansion. The biggest smack to the face in particular was Dark Spore, which like the rest of its brethren, died off quickly. And in the end, Core Spore just began to die slowly without support.

But I digress. I have faith that Tiy and the team will make Starbound the game it is mostly expected to be. Sure, it may not reach everyone's expectations, but it has a better standing in the long run than Spore ever had, seeing as how into the community the team is. With them in tow, Starbound will be anything but a flop.~

Nirn and Bratmobile like this.
  10. Bratmobile

Bratmobile Phantasmal Quasar

The fandom may be too high, but this is the starbound forums wut did u expect

11. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

Oh man I remember spore, I used to be a very active member in the forums. Yeah its pretty sad to see a game with good potential go to waste.

On a on topic note: I doubt I'll be disappointed. I love everything about the game; art style, music, generation, and so on. Even if their is something I don't like that pops up I doubt it will be enough for me to be displeased with the game.

12. Shahab

Shahab Scruffy Nerf-Herder

we should keep the expectations high so they make a better game.
    i always imagined a game like this with lots of depth.this is my chance i wont loose it and im hoping the best.

13. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Fandom's expectations are very high. And it will be hard to match them. Whether they are too high I won't judge till I'll be able to experience some more of the projet than just a few screenshots and trailers.

14. LeBleuMeldy

LeBleuMeldy Pangalactic Porcupine

Probably yes, BUT whenever I see a good update on this game like the water demo, I have a spaz attack on the inside.

15. XXDreanXX

XXDreanXX Void-Bound Voyager

I say that maybe I have to high of expectations, but i don't really care because if it flops (Which I highly doubt will happen) it flops it's not like anybody has had no dissappointmemt in there life.

P.S. I mean this in the most positive way possible.

16. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

Are the fandom expectations to high?
    I don't know...
    but it seems like even the devs are...
    :cool:
    shooting for the stars.

17. Spam

Spam Void-Bound Voyager

There is always a possibility that a game is shit. Always.
    And Starbound is viewed as the sucessor of Terraria (which it isn't).
    So, there is (naturally) a lot of hype around it. And hype is never good.
    But we have far to few information to see if the hype is unjustified. I doubt that it is going to pull a Diablo 3.

18. blacksmithgu

blacksmithgu Industrial Terraformer

Hype leads to undue criticism if the game is not up to standards. The screenshots and snippets of information all look awesome, but we don't know for sure until the game actually releases.

19. Moose

Moose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeeeaaahhhhh

but I know for myself I'm hyped and caught up in it all. I think the hype will waver up and down as we anticipate the release and as new information is given out. The Dev team does seem to have a finger on the pulse of the community and our enthusiasm for their game can help motivate them as well as give them new ideas and things to implement through our concerns and suggestions.

Knowing what it is we're all looking forward to as well as our concerns of problems can help them think ahead to troubleshoot aspects of the game that may make it fun or less so. Having high expectations for a game isn't a bad thing, it's what we do with that enthusiasm is what will not only affect our view of the final product, but maybe even the final product itself.

20. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

exactly what i wanted to say. terraria provided me an unfathomable number of hours of fun. even if this is only "terraria 2.0 in space" id be satisfied.
    but from what ive seen, and from what dev themselve told us (i like how open, communicative and friendly they are), i have no doubt starbound will be better in its own way, and therefore, provide me even more fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.