1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Archaeology quest not completing.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grahm, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Grahm

Grahm Space Hobo

So I was looking back through my quests and I saw Archaeology. Where you have to bring an artifact or mineral to Gunther in the museum. Well I proceeded to on to the museum and gave him an artifact. The Dwarf Scroll II, nothing happened. Anybody have any ideas or fixes?

Screenshot of the museum http://prntscr.com/ajmacz
    Screenshot of the quest http://prntscr.com/ajmasr

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

What happens when you talk to Gunther at the counter? You may have to peruse the Save File Editing Guide in this section.

• Connellation

Connellation Void-Bound Voyager

When you talk to him (post initial donation), if you have an artifact in your inventory it goes through the typical donation screen flow. If you don't have an artifact on you he does his typical "it doesn't seem like you have anything to donate" speech. The quest just doesn't update, despite donating several things. Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

• Connellation

Not a single mod, no clue what a cheat engine is. I just got the game off steam and am playing normally. If I messed around with the game I would have said so, and would have expected stuff like this.

The thread you linked is the same issue, with no resolution other then just changing "resolution" to true (boy that sounds fun, might as well change all the quests to true then). I don't consider editing game files myself to be a fix, it's one thing if my OS won't launch the game and I need to change some tech setting to false or true, another if it's a bugged quest.

I'll need instruction for how to upload the save file, I don't see any save files in the stardew local files via program files(86) -> steam.

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

Save files for video games are usually not kept in the same directory as the game installation, since that would mean reinstalling the game would wipe your saves.

Try looking in C:\users\...\AppData\Roaming\Stardew Valley\Saves

Rightclick on the folder with the name of the character that you're having trouble with, and choose Send to -> Compressed Zipped folder.

When you go to post in the threads on these forums, there is a Upload a File button next to the Post Reply button.

Connellation likes this.
            • Connellation

Perfect walkthrough, thanks.

Attached Files:

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

You must be kidding me
                I just shot in the dark but

The quest had a typo in it, where "Archaeology" was spelled "Arhchaeology". When I corrected it, the quest completes upon entering the Library.
                But you didn't get the 250 gold reward for it, so... not ideal.
                I guess you could just add 250 gold to your <money> stat and call it fair.

Connellation likes this.
                • Connellation

no way... lol

I'd really prefer not to edit my save file, though I get the impression that that's normal around here and doesn't cause many knock-on bugs, is that right?

Seems like you found the root cause of the bug, what should I (or if you want, you) do to get this information to the devs to test for a possible fix into the live build?

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

Well there's only a single dev, ConcernedApe, and you can try messaging him through his account here, or via his Twitter, or just post in the Reddit thread for the patch beta. I'm far too lazy and shy to bother him for much of anything.

As for save editing being "normal around here", I shrug. Probably 49 out of every 50 players have never and will never do it. But it does solve most issues. Personally I find it almost as much fun to tinker with a game's files and produce interesting new results as I do actually playing the game in question.

Editing the file will cause many problems if you don't pay attention to what you're changing, but absolutely no problems if you are simply careful and know what you're doing. I learned very early in that Stardew Valley does NOT like it when two objects are occupying the same tile. lol

Anyhoo, I saved you the trouble of messing with your save file. The next time you walk into the Library, you'll get the message that your journal updated, and the quest will be off your roster. I added 250 gold to your money balance, since that is the amount you'd normally be rewarded with for completing that quest. (I'm operating on the assumption that the game didn't actually give you that sum while leaving the quest in your journal.)

Attached Files:

Connellation likes this.