1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Arcane Add On 1.9.02 DROPBOX

Interesting Tiered Magic, Balanced for the Game.

1. Seterwind

Seterwind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have redone how I would like the magic to work. It's a work in progress as far as balance, recipe and graphics. However i think this update will take the mod to the next level.

Magic now works as a tech. You craft the enchanting table then create the magiTech. On the enchanting table now is spell books. Each book unlocks a new tier of magic, and increases the power of previous spells. You must have the spell book in your hand to cast spells.

The way casting spells works is as follows, it sounds complex but in play people have found it fun and fluid.

You right click (alt fire) to enter casting mode. You are slowed and barely able to move in casting mode. The way you face follows your mouse.

Jump takes you out of casting mode.

You use your directional buttons to begin casting spells. Example

if you press right, you will begin casting magic missile. You can then press jump to get out of casting mode, and will have magic missile precast on your primary fire. (left click) Or you can just left click and you will fire the magic missile, leaving yourself able to continue casting spells.

Should you mess up casting a spell you can right click to clear your current magic selection.

This system has led to much more fun combat in mine and my testers opinions. This was also the only way I could overcome certain limits of the modding system. Including the ability to summon.

Should have something to be demoed tonight at around 11pm EST.

2. Seterwind

Seterwind updated Arcane Add On with a new update entry:

Magi Tech and More Angry Koala

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Seterwind

4. Seterwind

5. nicaroso

nicaroso Void-Bound Voyager

I was wondering if the activation key could be switched to F, so that it doesnt seem clunky in the begging of the game. Or maybe let me know how i can moddifiy my own for that

6. Seterwind

Sadly the best we can do right now is e. Change all alt fire to special. In the .lua

7. nicaroso

What about F? Like when you are summoning a mech? Wouldnt that be codeable?

8. etherealblade

etherealblade Phantasmal Quasar

Damn...This is one awesome update man...Really epic. now my menu isn't cluttered with spells, and you added more awesome. You killed a dozen birds with one stone. That..is LEGENDARY!

9. Seterwind

I suppose it should be. To be honest the args.move( "special") is from the mech code. As I have never used a mech I figured it was E. Give it a shot see if it binds it to f or e.

I'll need to do more coding tomorrow night. But if it works smoother let us know.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. Seterwind

Thank you. Have lots of fun, its why I worked so hard on it.

11. nicaroso

Will do. Currently, if i start the game, and have the tech, i cant use my right slot, without it having a heartattack, or switching to a different tech (And you normally dont start with others)

12. Seterwind

That's... Odd but I think I know why. Will fix tomorrow night for sure.

13. nicaroso

Alright, I rebinded the key to F. F enters the state, and jump exits (Weird, but works). I also am uploading the file if you want, to avoid useless coding frustration later. I changed the extension to .txt so i could upload it, so all you have to do is change it back to '.lua'. That should be all, thanks for the great mod!

Attached Files:

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

Fyi, F, G, and H are keys that are setup for use in Starbound currently (along with all the other ones that you use on a regular basis). They are ["special"] == 1, ["special"] == 2, and ["special"] == 3 respectively.

15. heyfunny

heyfunny Tentacle Wrangler

I'm irritated,.. I have spent two nights looking for obsidian to make the table,... no luck. Even trying to make some obsidian with lava + water and it makes magma rock instead,... Can you make an alternate recipe using Magma rock ? I would love to try out the mod..

16. Seterwind

Obsidian tends to be found on desert planets. If you have issue then go into the arcane add on folder, objects enchanttable.recipe and remove the obsidian. I will highly consider changing that though thank you.

17. Seterwind

Thank you I did not know that! That could help out immensely come future mods.

18. Seterwind

Did it fix the lag that you had experienced on start up though? I had figured that had something to do with checking which item is in the players hand during the update cycle. Was going to move it to only check that during entering casting state and actually casting the spell for efficiency sake.

Also I am really sorry about the mess of code, normally I document better than that and don't do so much improper practices however was quite a rushed release,

19. Seterwind

20. Rukrio

Rukrio Pangalactic Porcupine

some bugs i found with a level 10 spellbook:
    -Black hole does not shoot like it should when casted properly.
    -Heal gives one of the hastes, most likely the super one. either way it lead me to discover how hilarious super speed and super jump are in Starbound.
    -some of the lower level spells still seem like peashooters when used with a level 10 book.